Converting a boat trailer

undr_psi

I picked up a boat trailer from a friend of my father and want to convert it to haul bikes, I've already started cutting off all the unneeded boat rails and such. My question is, is it as simple as removing all the boat stuff and putting a deck on it or is there more to it? Also it's 4'8" inside the wheel wells is that wide enough for two bikes with wheel chocks? Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Make sure its braced well. Boat trailers are built to take all the weight and displace it on the side rails/main frame rail. I would imagine the bikes weigh far less than the boat so just properly building a floor and securing chaulks should be simple enough.

do you know the axle capacity? what two bikes? sporties? depends on the trailer. if it has cross members that are flat, then you can just deck it in and add a cross member front and back to protect the boards ends etc..

photos?

tire size will tell me more about the capacity if you don't know what it is.

make some rails for the tires and lots of TIE DOWNS TIE DOWNS TIE DOWNS!!

tractor supply sells some 5K d rings that are substantial enough to be worthwhile for about $4 a pop

did I mention photos?

if its ONLY for bikes (IMO not a great plan but its yours) then just weld on a few 5x2 channels for tire troughs& some tie downs then move on down the road after some paint. cheap and easy

down side of just rails, no where to put feet, my scratch built (by me) trailer has a board top and I will make troughs to lock into siderail pockets. I can use it for trash/cleanup, quads, mini buggy, mowers. it takes up the same space either way it might as well be useful!

2012-05-18_14-10-43_576.jpg

Edited by RideSlow
add photo