Burning Oil?

Tpoppa

...so, in the last 1,000 miles or so my Gladius (basically an SV650 motor) has started noticeably consuming oil. It has about 9K on the odo. It always burned a little oil, but more lately. I run it pretty hard to squeeze out all 70 HPs. It runs A1, absolutely no leaks of any kind, and I've never noticed any smoke.

Couple questions.

It has less power than most other bikes I've had. To ride a quick pace I run it hard, near redline quite a bit, sometimes for long stretches of twisties. Would high RPM riding be causing oil consumption?

The manual calls for 10w40. I've been running Mobil 1 Full Syn 0w40, which should be better for cold starts and the same when warm/hot. I doubt this is the cause but worth mentioning.

What would be likely causes of consuming oil. Any easy checks besides a compression test?

Any SV owners have any issue with oil consumption on street or track?

I've never seen any smoke at startup or any other time. At WOT I'm looking ahead, so I wouldn't see it if there were any.

Yesterday, I rode about 500 miles with many WOTs and lots of time at high rpm. Gotta push this thing pretty hard to ride with bad influences like UP & DPG :) I lost about 6 oz over the course of the day.

Starting the day I had about 2k on the oil. I ususally change between 3-3.5k.

Edit: More info

Inside of the exhaust is not sooty at all. It's a nice brownish color like I would expect.

Valve check isn't due until 14.5k

Edited by Tpoppa

Well' date=' before I did any engine tearing-aparting, I'd switch my brand/viscosity just to be sure.

Not to turn this into another oil thread, but I run the MTS pretty hard most days and I've yet to see any decrease in level. For what it's worth, I run Amsoil 10-40 for motorcycles. However, I've been reading a few "my Gladius burns oil" threads for the past half hour. Looks like you're not alone, and that's typically not good news.[/quote']

What forum are you seeing these gladius threads?

Thanks. I actually posted a thread on SVR asking. Responders didn't seem to be losing any oil. But is this thread I see some of the same problem.

Might have to switch oil and see what happens.

I bought it as a demo last year. Bad, it had 1k on it when I got it so I don't know how it was broken in. Good, I still have a warranty for a few more months.

Running at high rev's for long periods would eventually allow some huffing past the rings and seats, wouldn't it? Idk, but logic tells me it "could" since the bikes being spun up so much, climbing engine oil temps, etc. :dunno: Just trying to reason out the problem. Like IP said, maybe up the viscosity a bit and see if it helps?

Think I found my answer...

"Yes the engine is bulletproof and should easily make 100k miles.....but they burn oil at high rpm's. Even the race guys of the SV's recommend that the oil fill should be at the top of the sight window for a race..."

I'll still try some other brands/viscosity.

I assume the Gladius/SV/Vstrom are all related in the motor department. There are many threads on the Vstrom forums about oil usage at higher RPMs, esp at uber-legal Xway speeds. No signs of smoking mentioned there either, and the best guess is that it's being sucked into the crank breather and burned. Less than half a quart in several thousand miles (using your experience) isn't particularly high when you're ringing it's neck, and shouldn't result in sooty exhaust, either. I'd do as suggested and up the viscosity to 10W40 or even 20W50 (as long as the temp is above 40F) and see what happens. I can't imagine that keeping your oil at max fill would do much for consumption, and may even make it worse initially if it creates more oil misting from windage effects in the crankcase.

I assume the Gladius/SV/Vstrom are all related in the motor department. There are many threads on the Vstrom forums about oil usage at higher RPMs, esp at uber-legal Xway speeds. No signs of smoking mentioned there either, and the best guess is that it's being sucked into the crank breather and burned. Less than half a quart in several thousand miles (using your experience) isn't particularly high when you're ringing it's neck, and shouldn't result in sooty exhaust, either. I'd do as suggested and up the viscosity to 10W40 or even 20W50 (as long as the temp is above 40F) and see what happens. I can't imagine that keeping your oil at max fill would do much for consumption, and may even make it worse initially if it creates more oil misting from windage effects in the crankcase.

Yep, the DL/SV/SFV motors are very much related. I spent some time checking the DL650 threads and saw exactly what I experienced. Oil consumption seems to be noticeable only after extended periods of high rpm riding.

It's a fun little motor. For spirited rides it seems 'happiest' in the 6-10k range. RL=10.5k

Fill it too full and you'll just have to empty it from your airbox' date=' anyway. Bump to 10-40 or 20-50 and keep that throttle pinned, brother.[/quote']

I'm on it :)