icon's new helmets look sweet!

jdonn

I have a Bell Vortex and its... Okay... The shell is WAY too big and the helmet itself is uber heavy and loud. So, as a result, I am always looking for a new helmet. Once these are on the shelves, I am deff going to have to try one on.

jpeg&a=tt

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=1922

I can tell you from experience the icon is heavy in all the wrong places. felt like a brick on my head instead of a helmet.

moved up to a suomy and was like ok, enough fucking around with the cheap helmets from now on.

I like my shoei better than the suomy. it has way better venting.

you could give me that helmet and I'd give it to someone else.

Hu... that sucks... the Suomy is way too round for my head. Pressure against my forehead all the way up through XL. I'd like to see about a shoei but the wife would kill me. IDK, when it comes out I'll go to IP and try it out in the store and go from there...

I can tell you from experience the icon is heavy in all the wrong places. felt like a brick on my head instead of a helmet.

moved up to a suomy and was like ok, enough fucking around with the cheap helmets from now on.

I like my shoei better than the suomy. it has way better venting.

you could give me that helmet and I'd give it to someone else.

My husband has an Icon Lifeform Carbon and at $515, it's far from a cheap helmet. It's very light. I also did a lot of research on this before we bought it (as we typically by Shoei and Arai) and the reviews and safety were pretty top notch. Biggest issue with this helmet is my husband's head is longish in the forehead and we had to work that a bit. It's also loud but that has a lot to do with the amount of ventilation it provides which is substantial. This is typically complaint on a lot of helmets.

We don't skimp on safety gear so I don't know if yours was an older model and they have improved since then, but this helmet is fine. I've got at least 15 "retired" Shoei's and Arai's at my house so we've been through quite a few helmets.

Mary

ICON_AirframeLifeformCarbonWhite_400.jpg

Biggest issue with this helmet is my husband's head is longish in the forehead and we had to work that a bit.

This congures up images of you pushing the back of your husband's head towards a bench grinder. Anywhere close to the truth?

For my $.02, I have always found ICON gear to be bulky and a little unnecessarily heavy. Though if you make something out of carbon that is typically made from ABS, it will usually be lighter. I like the Bell Star, and will probably look into one of those when my Arai is past its prime. Have a Scorpion as my backup track lid, but have only worn it once to see that it fits. Was a Shoei guy for a long time, and love my Arai. But they did away with the line that fit me best, and the replacement line just feels a bit different. Different enough to make me think about it. Regardless, I won't knock what a rider has on his or her melon. Just glad to see you wearing one.

The new Icon helmets are going to be in the same 3.5lbs weight ballpark as the other middle-high end helmets such as the RS-1, X-12, Corsair V (these are actually closer to 4lbs), etc... They are moving away from the big and bulky stereotype.

Regardless, the other options listed here are also plenty good and we can help with any of them.

This congures up images of you pushing the back of your husband's head towards a bench grinder. Anywhere close to the truth?

For my $.02, I have always found ICON gear to be bulky and a little unnecessarily heavy. Though if you make something out of carbon that is typically made from ABS, it will usually be lighter. I like the Bell Star, and will probably look into one of those when my Arai is past its prime. Have a Scorpion as my backup track lid, but have only worn it once to see that it fits. Was a Shoei guy for a long time, and love my Arai. But they did away with the line that fit me best, and the replacement line just feels a bit different. Different enough to make me think about it. Regardless, I won't knock what a rider has on his or her melon. Just glad to see you wearing one.

you must be thinking of poly carbonate. I don't recall ever seeing a abs helmet. I noticed the new shoei's are not my cup of tea either. it feels super heavy in my hands. ok on the head but the fit just isn't the same.

Icon may be getting away from the bulky lids, but even that airframe is not near as solid a piece when sat beside an Arai, Bell Star, Shoei, etc. The fit and finish is very antique and even though they church it up with the weight, I am willing to bet it comes in heavier. I think it may be the way it is designed that makes it feel cumbersome, but when you pick it up and something comparable, it doesn't win out.

I will say they are getting better. But, they still have a ways to go.

I'm telling you for the money, the RS-1 and the Scorpion or even the new higher end HJC are great options in that similar price range...

I'm telling you for the money, the RS-1 and the Scorpion or even the new higher end HJC are great options in that similar price range...

I had a "higher end" HJC. It was a Spies replica and I can tell you that helmet was shit. Especially considering what I paid for it. It had zero airflow and it was loud as hell. Fit around the shield was crappy, you don't know that until after you buy it though. I ended up giving it away after I bought the Shoei

Since getting a Bell Star on my noggin'.....I'm hooked on good equip. Light, great aero, great peripheral view, tons of airflow, and silky soft inside. Had higher end Vega's ( higher end by their standards ) HJC's and KBC's. Off all the cheaper options I was using, my KBC out performed the other 2. Seemed like I'd get buffeting on the other 3 makes vs the Bell. I looked at Bell RS versions, Shoei, Scorpion, HJC carbons, but glad I held out for the Star. Thanx again Brian, this helmet is surely like putting my head in kangaroos va-jay-jay;)

I had a "higher end" HJC. It was a Spies replica and I can tell you that helmet was shit. Especially considering what I paid for it. It had zero airflow and it was loud as hell. Fit around the shield was crappy, you don't know that until after you buy it though. I ended up giving it away after I bought the Shoei

That's interesting as I was going on fit and finish alone. Good to hear (well, bad to hear in your experience, I guess) they are not as good when in use type of deal...

I can say, however that the visual out of the portal and the fit is mucho better than anything they have done thus far...

Since getting a Bell Star on my noggin'.....I'm hooked on good equip. Light, great aero, great peripheral view, tons of airflow, and silky soft inside. Had higher end Vega's ( higher end by their standards ) HJC's and KBC's. Off all the cheaper options I was using, my KBC out performed the other 2. Seemed like I'd get buffeting on the other 3 makes vs the Bell. I looked at Bell RS versions, Shoei, Scorpion, HJC carbons, but glad I held out for the Star. Thanx again Brian, this helmet is surely like putting my head in kangaroos va-jay-jay;)

No worries, man. I have worn a ton of lids and right now, I really like what the Bell guys are doing. They fit great, vent CRAZY well and are fairly quiet, I guess... Quiet is relative as I wear ear plugs and usually don't have an issue with noise. I was one of the first Suomy sponsored guys in the US and wore them up until the Bells and everyone bitched about how loud they were. Never had an issue...

I will be selling my Cerwinski white (Non carbon) soon. It has been worn literally three times. Really, only twice, but did wear it one time in a sprint race...