How much of a dick am I?

RSparky

I put my bi-xenon projectors in over the winter. They are properly adjusted according to MOM. 2" down at whatever distance it is...

But, I've been flashed 3 times this season. Twice from cars I have passed on the highway, and they flashed me from behind. I know the position of lights on a sportbike is taller than that of a car. I drive an old Prelude, and that thing is way low. I frequently get blinded by truck lights in my rear view mirror. And I don't like it, but I deal. I'm sure their lights are adjusted correctly too. So, my lights, by simply being taller are putting their rear view mirror in the bright spot.

I hate being blinded, but am I entitled as a "motorcyclist" to my higher output lights for safety reasons? Or am I a dumb asshole, blinding people because I can?

Yes, Fuck the cagers...but not so much that they can't see anything.

The 2" rule is good, but you need to be looking at night where the cutoff is hitting for oncoming traffic. If your beam is cutting off in semi cabs, it might need to be dropped a bit. I run a set of FX35s in my Integra, and the 2" rule got me blinked by semis all the time. I usually try and aim it so the cutoff hits just below an average car's window.

It is a pain to get them set right, because the cutoff gets hard to see at the distance it matters. I'm all for being noticeable, but a xenon beam is bright enough below the cutoff to really cause negative distractions to drivers. If they have to put their hand up to block your light from blinding them, they're not watching the road at all anymore.

However, the people in front of you and to the right are screwed. Setting your cutoff to make them out of it puts your beam way low on the road and takes away a lot of the benefits xenons give you.

The hardest part of aiming those things is finding a wall with a level surface far enough back.

I used the brick wall of my old apartment. measured the projector height, went to the wall, and duct taped 2" down. Back to the bike and adjusted.

my cutoff is pretty clean too. So when it gets to their eyes, it's all or nothing.

I already feel like I need to see more of the road...

I'll check it today to make sure it hasn't moved, or I didn't screw it up the first time.

Fuck cagers........they are out to kill us no matter what we try and do. If they flash you that means you got their attention, good job!!!!;)
Yes, Fuck the cagers.

You drive a car, don't you? Remember you told yourself "fuck you" next time your driving.

Also the term "cagers" is as retarded sounding as "crotchrocket". I can see teenagers using the term because they are who they are.

On the light thing Robbie, yes you are a dick with them lights. :lol:

• Upvote 2

I used the brick wall of my old apartment. measured the projector height, went to the wall, and duct taped 2" down. Back to the bike and adjusted.

my cutoff is pretty clean too. So when it gets to their eyes, it's all or nothing.

I already feel like I need to see more of the road...

I'll check it today to make sure it hasn't moved, or I didn't screw it up the first time.

How far from the wall was the bike sitting?

If your blinding oncoming traffic and they end up going onto the shoulder then over correcting and swerving into you you will probably regret having the super bright lights. Or if you get behind the wrong crazy mofo that snaps because they are blinded by the lights. Your bike isn't that safe of a vehicle to get caught up in a road rage incident. Maybe just stop riding at night.

My car has factory HIDs that are crazy fucking bright. There is a distinct cutoff line so you can see they are set properly (well below any other drivers' head on flat ground). When rolling over hills or maybe even hitting bumps you definitely catch them once in awhile though. I get flashed all the time, and usually just ignore it. If I want to be a dick, I flash back.

I hate being blinded, but am I entitled as a "motorcyclist" to my higher output lights for safety reasons?

I doubt that higher output lights have any real safety benefits, unless you mean more visibility for yourself while riding in dark conditions.

If you wanted to be a 'dick' you could get a headlight modulator. I don't think that those do anything other than annoy other motorists.

I enjoy night riding more than day riding personally

Hell too dangerous just cruising the backroads in the dark cuz of all the deer and critters. City riding sucks unless on a cruiser.

You must be using that zx9 all wrong. :D

Edited by NinjaNick

My truck has a 4 inch lift on it.... I get flashes all the time. I like to flash back to show them how bad it could have been. :)

:rolleyes:

My wife just bought a lifted jeep. After my first night ride with her and seeing how many people flashed her, I had her park it in the back yard facing the house and adjusted them properly. It took all of three minutes to not be an asshole.

The old safety lane yearly vehicle inspections is one of the few government functions I think we were better off with.

• Upvote 1

No part of the beam should be within two to four inches of the matching center of headlight at 25 feet. Down and to the right. For a car...

I'd say if wanting light at 300 feet fully illuminating the roadway, use an auxiliary driving light to do just that.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/1347221

Edited by ReconRat