92 yr. old man kills intruder with .22 rifle

redkow97

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13664055-wwii-vet-92-kills-intruder-with-single-shot-in-kentucky?lite

The highlights are:

- Guy's farm has been burglarized 3 times, with cattle, guns, and tools stolen

- hears intruders in his basement (which you can enter from the outside of the house), grabs rifle, and sits down in his recliner to wait for them (how awesome is that?)

- intruders open basement door to enter the main floor of the home, takes a round in the chest.

- 2 accomplices carry wounded robber off, drive away, and pull over to call for an ambulance. Wounded robber dies in the car.

The only thing that really surprises me about this is that the guy went for the .22 when it would seem he likely had larger calibers available. I'm basing that on the fact that other guns have previously been stolen. I assume not ALL his other guns.

Those two guys are effed too. If KY has a "felony murder" statute, they're going to be charged with their buddy's murder. No charges have been filed against the homeowner.

Why does this surprise you..... oh wait I know why. Because nobody here listens to Flounder or myself when we tell how deadly a 22 is.

This guy knew. He grabbed the right gun. A very agonizing slow death. Maybe you guys will listen now but I doubt it.

22 means no thru and thru wound. No thru and thru wound means no family member hit by round after it passes thru intruder then thru drywall to nail your sleeping child. Also means no bloody mess to clean up off your carpet.

QFTW :bow:

Looking for a .22 pistol for my carry. I don't care what anyone says about it not having power, NO ONE is going to sit there and take bullets. Cheap to shoot, virtually NO recoil allowing for accurate fire and small round size equals more rounds in a magazine

QFTW :bow:

Looking for a .22 pistol for my carry. I don't care what anyone says about it not having power, NO ONE is going to sit there and take bullets. Cheap to shoot, virtually NO recoil allowing for accurate fire and small round size equals more rounds in a magazine

Look at the ISSC, then let me know if I should order you one. Feel free to come shoot mine. Parks has one as well and pretty sure he'll also say its a great gun.

:lol: He's 92, he no longer gives a shit. He'll die of natural causes before sentencing

rural home. 3 prior home invasions. I'm betting the "local" police are a pretty far away even if he had called. The ambulance was far enough away that a single .22 round killed the intruder before the paramedics arrived. Granted, there was no indication of how much time elapsed between the shot and the call.

His age might also have something to do with why a .22 was the weapon of choice. No recoil.

that's one of the big pros about a .22 for home defense. More likely to land more rounds, and not go def doing it...

I mean yeah why not? I wouldn't call the cops if someone broke in my basement like that, they are in your hous, game over. I am not scared for my life, especially since this dude had been robbed before, I'd say KY has the Castle Doctrine as well? If so then I can't see how it would matter if he called the cops.

Just say he didn't becasue he didn't want to alert the robbers for fear they may get violent. I bet he was drinking Busch Light too, in a camo can, at least I hope he was. AT 92, if I am alive I will be drinking Coors Original 22 hrs a day and sleeping the other 2, even while changing my diaper.

EPIC WIN!

Without making this a caliber debate, no one is going to stop and ask "is that a .22?" and then stick around to get shot at if you say yes...

There is no debating that other rounds will make a bigger hole in a bad guy, or make him dead quicker in many cases.

I still like the Phoenix Arms HP22A with the short barrel (although I would totally want the longer one for fucking around at the range too)

acfd8e1.jpg

Without making this a caliber debate, no one is going to stop and ask "is that a .22?" and then stick around to get shot at if you say yes...

There is no debating that other rounds will make a bigger hole in a bad guy, or make him dead quicker in many cases.

I still like the Phoenix Arms HP22A with the short barrel (although I would totally want the longer one for fucking around at the range too)

acfd8e1.jpg

Meant to put that in there as well. :D

Agreed with the other rounds thing, I like that a .22 will still get your point across that you are willing to defend yourself with deadly force and as the pasta tequila loving midget said "No thru and thru wound means no family member (or innocent bystander) hit by round after it passes thru intruder then thru drywall to nail your sleeping child. Also means no bloody mess to clean up off your carpet." :cool:

When you get shivved in prison it's not a single stab, it's as many stabs as they can get in as short a time as possible. One wound, even bigger, can be treated more easily than 5 wounds. Could it be argued that multiple 22 shots is more deadly than one .45 shot, so picking a .22 for rapid fire/multiple wounds shows an intent to kill, not stop?

I'll stick with my shotgun, though, inside the house.

No but Jimminez does. They are the HiPoint of 22's and Ill sell you one.

The Phoenix Arms hp22a I posted about earlier is about the same price and gets much more favorable reviews online.

the primary complaints are minor, and can be remedied with simple modifications.

They do have a reputation for cracking with "hyper-velocity" ammo, but they handle bulk federal and remington just fine.

If I were employed (full time) I'd have one already. Haven't looked that hard.

Have checked out the issc not impressed with the build quality of them. New they seem ok but the used ones I've seen seem very loose. Also dont like the size of the issc. Even though i have been seeing bad reviews on the ruger also.

My ISSC feels exactly like my Glock 23. I run cheap ass CCI Blazer in it and it loves it. Has who knows how many boxes of 525 ran though the thing. Fun little pistol for the indoor range during the winter time.