92 yr. old man kills intruder with .22 rifle

redkow97

Sig Sauer 1911-22

I'm looking at one through Todd, next pay check might have one but I also need a new front tire. Decisions :cry:

just buy a front take off tire from one of the many track whores for cheap ($30-60 depending on tire and condition). lots of meat in the center, and plenty enough meat on the edges for aggressive riding on the street. i have enough take off Q2's and pilot powers to last me for years on the street now, i'm sure someone near you has a take off they'd sell you for a fraction of a new tire that you'll just end up wearing out the center of in a few thousand miles.

also, back on topic, i got to shoot my colt/umarex/walther 1911-22lr a couple weekends ago and it was a great shooting gun. i hear lots of good things about sig/gsg 1911-22's too.

For a confrontation at close range in confined spaces, 00 Buck is just about the perfect blend of stopping power, penetration, and still stopping in walls. It is equivalent to something like a 5-10 round burst from a 9mm sub if all pellets hit. Ow.

At range and outdoors the rifle is king. Of course a kill shot at range is a lot harder to justify as self defense (Not in this guy's case since they were in his home).

Shot placement is the most important factor. A .22lr has enough penetrating power to go through one side of the skull and not exit the other. Just bounces around. And a zeroed SIG 522 is lethally accurate with no recoil for really easy follow on shots.

Of course a larger heaver round has its advantages too. The larger the entry wound, the more air is sucked into the body. A large exit wound give more opportunity for a quick bleed-out kill. But that also is using a round that will punch through someone and keep going for a while. (Albeit with less speed and tumbling)

However a suppressed SBR chambered for 300 BLK firing subsonic would be an effective larger round that is still very effective with multiple shots while maintaining stealth and not requiring ear protection. Still won't beat a shotgun indoors though.

• 2 weeks later...

.22 is plenty of power to kill. Every year, me, my bros, and my dad get Crop Damage permits for deer. Every year dad takes out his old 22 and shoots a deer. They drop just the same as getting shot with a 12 gauge. 12 gauge just leaves a blood trail. First one he shot with it, the round was stuck under the skin on the other side of the deer.

.22 is plenty of power to kill. Every year, me, my bros, and my dad get Crop Damage permits for deer. Every year dad takes out his old 22 and shoots a deer. They drop just the same as getting shot with a 12 gauge. 12 gauge just leaves a blood trail. First one he shot with it, the round was stuck under the skin on the other side of the deer.

Where'd he hit the deer?

Just curious how much meat it's actually penetrating. My guess is you'd have to be pretty close to penetrate a deer's skull, but it would make it through the neck without much issue. On a chest shot, not so much.