1994 Suzuki GS500 Canton

gearman

Is there anything wrong with the bike mechanically? The add says it has comsmetic damage, what does that include?

Some poorly touched up scratches on the front fender and tank. Also some scratches on the lower edges of the engine side cases, probably from a low or zero speed drop. The bike runs fine. It starts easily, no leaks, and all the lights and guages work.

Additional info: When the bike was purchased I replaced the notoriously wimpy fork springs with new Sonic springs. They were disassembled, cleaned, inner tubes checked for straightness, new seals installed and reassembled with 15wt fork oil (per Sonic's recommendation). Slightly larger pilot jets were installed in the carbs and the float levels adjusted. The fuel lines were also replaced at that time.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually got it for $900 though I have put about $1k into it at this point. Rode it in the backwoods in NKY with muh Junkies this past Sunday. Way too much fun for the entry price! I was actually laughing in my helmet a few times.

I bet. I followed an older gentleman up/down the dragon in June. He was on a GS500F' date=' and I worked my ass off keeping up with him on my Multistrada. I've always been keen on the GS500.. especially the naked version. It's just a no-frills, no-nonsense motorcycle that is far more capable than folks give it credit.[/quote']

That bike actually gets lots of credit and is very highly recommended as a good beginners bike or one that's great to just buzz about on. Many who have sold theirs to upgrade have wished they had kept it as a second 'fun' bike.

I researched a lot of bikes and was looking for a GS 500 when I found mine. Mine is an "F" (Fairing) version and I would have preferred a naked bike for my first one but the price was right on this one, plus it gives me a chance to learn how to repair a cracked fairing (don't ask).

Mine may be for sale at the end of next season. We'll see when that time comes.

Since the purchase I have installed the Vance & Hines full exhaust, K&N drop-in filter re-jetted the carbs, gravity pet chicken off a 2004 Honda CRF450, EBC brake pads f&r, Brigestone BT-003 (110/70F 140/70R), -1 front sprocket, slipped the forks up 5mm on the trees, 2005 Katana rear shock and Superbike bars. The fork legs will be going to Ruben at 35 Motorsports. He is going to weld up and custom drill the damping tubes, install .90 or .95 (haven't decided yet) Sonic Springs and 15wt. oil. This bike f'n rails as in 70-100mph through the backwoods. As purchased it would top out at 105mph. It will now do an honest 120mph. What it lacks in out right speed it more than makes up for in cornering.

Yeah - my biggest regret in riding was not taking my endorsement test on my GS when I had it. They handle like a champ, right? The only complaint I had, other than lack of a little grunt, is that it got blown around by the wind when it was particularly windy.