so a question about lines

mojocho

I've never been a fast rider on the track, but my last full weekend at the track was last year at Grattan in June. It was probably my best in terms of consistency, lines, assertiveness into the corners, etc. First time I dragged knee in multiple corners, braked late, etc. Anyways, after that weekend, I went to Mid-O and layed the bike down, tore a hamstring, and pretty much had a shitty track day. I had engine issues as a result and just recently got the bike back together after much procrastination and lack of mechanical know-how.

So I did my first track day over Labor Day weekend at Grattan this year. It was a 14-15 month hiatus. I was stiff, apprehensive, and lacked confidence.

One thing I noticed as I was being towed around by a CR, I was taking the corners really wide. typical start out wide to flatten the turn and squirt out faster. But the lines the CR and my friends were taking were much more aggressive. I tried to follow those lines but it just caused me to go wider. I assume it was because I wasn't back to my original form (i.e. wasn't getting off the bike nearly a much as I did last year) so I couldn't lean the bike over to turn it quicker.

But the CR kept wanting me to follow his lines.

So until i get my form and confidence back up, do I take the wider lines and eventually move my lines in closer? Or am I missing something or doing something incorrectly causing me to go wide on exit with the closer turn in.

Thoughts?

^ Do that. Have you had the bike checked to make sure it's straight after the crash?

But also you have to relax. If you're running wide or can't get into the corner, you're probably just riding "tight," muscles tensed and looking too close instead of out in front of you.

^

But also you have to relax. If you're running wide or can't get into the corner, you're probably just riding "tight," muscles tensed and looking too close instead of out in front of you.

This. After my lowside it took me a good 2 trackdays to get my confidence back in my front end.. I swear it felt like every wiggle in my front end I thought I was going to go down and was running the shittiest lines because of that.. My body position wasn't as far off as it usually was and I was gripping the bars way too hard.. So maybe take note of how your body position is mid session and if you're staying loose. I was also looking down way too much instead of looking up and ahead. Just fixing those 3 things made a huge difference by the end of the day, and I started to push a bit more.

Thanks for the comments so far!

My friends mentioned to me that I was riding really tight. I thought I was loose but noticed certain muscles ached more than it should have after the first day, but I chalked it up to not being on the track in over a year and my general love for Krispy Kremes and pizza. Then I saw a video of my self. After I got over the fact that i was a moving obstacle to everyone else on the track, I noticed I was barely hanging off at all compared to where i ended the season last year.

One thing you guys mentioned that i didn't really think of was my sight. You guys are right about the fact that i was not looking far ahead. After you guys mentioned it I just recalled a couple of occasions where I caught myself looking almost straight down at the apex in the bowl and the bus stop. I'll have to work on that.

I haven't had my frame checked for straightness. may be worth the effort to do that. As for the suspension I think you are right. i was going to take advantage of the on track suspension guy but I figured I needed to work out the cobwebs first. I'll do that for sure on the next track weekend they are available.

do you guys think that is what is causing my lines to widen out? Should I stay on my wider entry lines and work on closing them up as I gain confidence back or should I take the shorter lines that everyone else was taking.

It's really hard to say without knowing what corner it is, what's coming up next, etc. This isn't NASCAR and you don't have to go way wide before every corner. Sometimes you might follow that general rule of going wide, hitting the apex, and then riding out wide again but not always. Very rarely when taking a corner do I go all the way to the wide edge of the track before turning in

Term has the right idea. We cannot assist on a certain turn unless you tell us the turn and the environment.

Before you go thinking it is setup and chassis, understand that lines are as important as getting a correct setup. Lines are chosen to not only go faster, but to be more efficient. Meaning, if you have to work harder to make it through a lap because of poor line choice, it isn't the right way to do it.

Also, if you were target fixing on the instructor, you aren't looking ahead enough. You need to watch the instructor in periphrial vs. looking directly.

Essentially, I believe you are having issue with confidence. Don't go getting the chassis measured, don't go fiddling with clickers and suspension. Work on YOU.

What turns for example are you talking about? That may assist us to help you on lines...

As mentioned it's tough without specifics. It could be 10 different things. I was told to watch this video and it helped me IMMENSELY. Below is an OR thread on it.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=

It will help you understand and diagnose issues. After I watch it I make notes on the pieces I want to work on and little ah-ha moments. I put a strip of blue painters tape on my tank with bullet points to remind me while I'm sitiing on the line getting ready to take off. Between that and getting some hands on at the track you'll be golden soon.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

^^ More good advice. Chances are the problem is, as Schwantz would say, "between the ears."

The only reason I would have the bike checked out/set up to at least a baseline is because all riding technique advice assumes that the bike is in mostly good working order. If that isn't the case, you'll have to work that much harder to ride around a problem the bike might be giving you.

As mentioned it's tough without specifics. It could be 10 different things. I was told to watch this video and it helped me IMMENSELY. Below is an OR thread on it.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=

Don't see a thread when I click... What video are you referring to?

everyone recovers from falls differently

some people get right back up the next session and turn faster laps, and some people take months and months, and everywhere in between.

just work on riding smooth and follow the "race line" or the lines the CR's are taking... they generally won't lead you wrong. soon enough, you'll get your confidence back, and you'll be comfortable on the bike again.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and comments. I know for SURE that it is mostly between the ears and lack of confidence or abundance of fear. etc.

The question I am actually asking is about line selection at slower speeds versus line selection at a quicker pace. As I was following the CR and watching with my peripheral I was noting his turn in points and lines. In other words, at Grattan, the turn into the bus stop, coming off the fast sweeper. If I divide the track into thirds, I was starting out in the outside third of the lane before tipping it in. The CR would be more toward the middle third of the lane. Using my line i would drive out and be in line for the uphill charge. Using his line I actually ended up a lot wider and off the line. of course when he took his line it was fine for him as he was able to lean it over much more and maintain that line.

I know If I take his line and just lean more I'd be able to follow his line. however, I acknowledge that i am working on my confidence back up and will eventually get there. however, the in the meantime with my slower pace, do i take his line and risk coming out wide. or do I take my wider line and progessively work toward the middle before tip in.

Same thing in the off camber turn 3 and also I think it's 5 right after the hump into the esses.

appreciate the insight guys!!

If talking the bus stop at Grattan, your spot was the best choice. However, you can do it from mid track also. Maybe the CR was just choosing that line due to their speed, etc or maybe because they themselves do not use the outside third. That turn is an exception to where depending on the bike, rider style and speed, you can use both.

I've split guys up the middle there, passed in tight (not at all suggested) and outside. I prefer the middle to left side like you chose...

If slower, the line is easier to maintain and even change mid turn. Faster means you need to really be as dead nuts as you can for accuracy and speed.