Tankless water heaters

FZRMatt

Does anyone here have a tankless water heater? If so, what do you have? What do you like/dislike? Gas or electric?

We are looking at putting one in, and I have read good and bad reviews for all brands and sizes. So, I was hoping someone would have some good input.

Thanks.

I'm not the authority on home improvement but is your old water heater bad or are you buying this for the savings? The reason I ask is the initial cost of the tankless heater may outweigh any savings vs a conventional water heater. I think I calculated it out a long time ago and you would need years to start reeping efficiency of the tankless unit. Sorry for not answering you question but I am interested to see what other people have to say as well.

We got a natural gas whole house tankless a few years ago to replace the undersized water heater that had been installed in the house.

The good:

1) You always have hot water. No problem being the second or third person to take a shower :D

2) They are small and take up much less room in the utility room. Ours is also a laundry room and the tank water heater made it difficult to move in the room.

3) Efficiency - no keeping water hot when not in use.

The bad:

1) expensive

2) may require and upgraded gas line due to the higher power burner

3) When using water intermittently or at low volumes (e.g. washing dishes) there tends to be cold periods as the heater does not react instantly to changes in flow.

My understanding is that electric units are not really suitable for a whole house application. More point of use. They cant provide enough flow to run more than a single high efficiency shower head. The big gas units can run a couple showers or fill a tub.

We did find that the faucet on our oversize whirlpool tub would fill faster than the heater could handle. Throttling the flow down some allows us to easily fill the tub.

We have had this for about 7 years now so it looks like there are alot more choices now than there were then.

If you are just looking for efficiency also look at condensing water heaters. These are considerably more efficient than traditional water heaters. And based on google there are even tankless condensing water heaters that should be extremely efficient. Still payback will be years based on the current gas prices.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

If you are just looking for efficiency also look at condensing water heaters. These are considerably more efficient than traditional water heaters. And based on google there are even tankless condensing water heaters that should be extremely efficient. Still payback will be years based on the current gas prices.

Craig

This is what I was thinking. Good info though none the less, thank you.

I'm not the authority on home improvement but is your old water heater bad or are you buying this for the savings? The reason I ask is the initial cost of the tankless heater may outweigh any savings vs a conventional water heater. I think I calculated it out a long time ago and you would need years to start reeping efficiency of the tankless unit. Sorry for not answering you question but I am interested to see what other people have to say as well.

Actually, our existing water heater is about 1/2 way through its life cycle. However, we are finishing our basement and it seems like the tankless SHOULD be less likely to cause issues like a bursting tank. I know there are still the pipe issues, but I would have that with a tanked unit also.

We got a natural gas whole house tankless a few years ago to replace the undersized water heater that had been installed in the house.

The good:

1) You always have hot water. No problem being the second or third person to take a shower :D

2) They are small and take up much less room in the utility room. Ours is also a laundry room and the tank water heater made it difficult to move in the room.

3) Efficiency - no keeping water hot when not in use.

The bad:

1) expensive

2) may require and upgraded gas line due to the higher power burner

3) When using water intermittently or at low volumes (e.g. washing dishes) there tends to be cold periods as the heater does not react instantly to changes in flow.

My understanding is that electric units are not really suitable for a whole house application. More point of use. They cant provide enough flow to run more than a single high efficiency shower head. The big gas units can run a couple showers or fill a tub.

We did find that the faucet on our oversize whirlpool tub would fill faster than the heater could handle. Throttling the flow down some allows us to easily fill the tub.

We have had this for about 7 years now so it looks like there are alot more choices now than there were then.

Craig

My biggest concern is having enough water to run 2 showers (from time to time) simultaneously with the dishwasher or washing machine running. I work nights and my pre-teen daughter tends to take 20 minute showers when I'm not home. It wouldn't be an issue if she was the last to shower at night, but my boys go after her, so they get the shaft. Also, it would be nice for guests also.

from people I know that have them they don't get the water hot enough so it's basically like no hot water.

Depends on the model and the incoming water temp.

We have no problem with nice hot showers despite the losses of over 75' of copper pipes running to our master on the opposite corner of the house.

On the other hand late winter water temps do mean that running 2 showers at the same time will reduce the output temp some. During the summer no problem.

Now a small unit or an electric with our winter time water temps is likely to have problems.

Craig

I've been told the gas tankless units need to be mounted on an exterior wall for the ignition chamber to have direct and proper ventilation through the wall. Not sure if this is whole truth or not, but may be something to consider if having to possibly relocate some gas/water plumbing or if its even a possibility in your basement.

There are also electronic water valves that you plumb into the main water line(s) that are tethered to a couple of moisture sensors. Once they are wet, they trigger the shutoff valve to close and stops all water flow until they are reset. Some everyday peace of mind, especially when on vacations no matter what type of waterheater you have. I want to get one but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Last I remember they were pricey at around $300 and up, but way cheaper than a flooded basement.

Depends on the model and the incoming water temp.

We have no problem with nice hot showers despite the losses of over 75' of copper pipes running to our master on the opposite corner of the house.

On the other hand late winter water temps do mean that running 2 showers at the same time will reduce the output temp some. During the summer no problem.

Now a small unit or an electric with our winter time water temps is likely to have problems.

Craig

The 2 showers at the same time shouldn't be a huge issue. My kids both are on the YMCA swim team and both usually shower there after practice. During the summer it shouldn't be an issue at all due to incoming water temp. I just want the peace of mind just in case.

Craig

I've been told the gas tankless units need to be mounted on an exterior wall for the ignition chamber to have direct and proper ventilation through the wall. Not sure if this is whole truth or not, but may be something to consider if having to possibly relocate some gas/water plumbing or if its even a possibility in your basement.

There are also electronic water valves that you plumb into the main water line(s) that are tethered to a couple of moisture sensors. Once they are wet, they trigger the shutoff valve to close and stops all water flow until they are reset. Some everyday peace of mind, especially when on vacations no matter what type of waterheater you have. I want to get one but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Last I remember they were pricey at around $300 and up, but way cheaper than a flooded basement.

The contractor did tell me that they need to be on an outside wall. Again, this shouldn't be an issue because it is going to go in the unfinished laundry area.

My brother has a small tankless heater working off of 100amp service. Works great for a shower or any faucet for that matter. It's tiny. About the size of an ammo can but half as thick. Obviously it could not handle the volume for more than spigot at a time. My only concern would be longevity. For something that small it has to be working awfully hard.

I'll be going this route but 220amp model, once the old tank unit dies.

Edited by Gump

My brother has a small tankless heater working off of 100amp service. Works great for a shower or any faucet for that matter. It's tiny. About the size of an ammo can but half as thick. Obviously it could not handle the volume for more than spigot at a time. My only concern would be longevity. For something that small it has to be working awfully hard.

I'll be going this route but 220amp model, once the old tank unit dies.

All of the 220 versions that I read about today require 3 40 amp double pull circuits. It seems like a lot of power, and some of the reviews stated that they were still unable to produce a sustained amount of hot water for any length of time without switching to low flow shower heads and faucets. That was my concern and part of the reason form my original question. I don't know if people were just bitching to bitch, or if it is a legitimate concern.

? Don't know. You'd think it could. It's always flowing thru it so why would it matter for the first minute to an hour later. I think my Bro's reduced the volume of water allowed to pass thru the unit the hotter the temperature was set at the device.

I feel like I also read on WERA that installation costs are pretty $$ if you don't have the right size line, and right wiring, depending on gas/electric. I believe they also posted on the exterior wall as well which is another issue some people were having, as they had already finished their basement.

I had looked at one when I moved in as I had some seller credits to blow at Home Depot, but in the end the up front costs were not even close to what I would recoup unless I lived in this house for like 15 years, which I sure as hell won't be doing.

I'd do some google research and see what else is posted out there, they are still new overall, but the masses might have some reviews.

I have a big effing Bosch tankless water heater at my carwash. I think they are fine for commercial applications or vacation homes that aren't always occupied. Personally I wouldn't want one in my home.

The water temp is related to how fast the water is flowing. If you set it to be hot when 2 showers are running it will be crazy hot for low flow needs like a sink faucet.

We did it in our new home. So far we love it. If I didn't tell you we had one you wouldn't know.

We can have two people showering and have the washer or dishwasher running and not worry about loss of hot water. Plus filling up a large tub without running out of hot water is a bonus.

My Dad built his house with a large instant-on water heater to supply the whole place. He ended up having to add heating elements to the pipes running outside, as well as a storage tank to store ~5 gallons of heated water to avoid the 2 minutes it took for hot water to reach the far side of the house.

It is nice because it never runs out once its flowing. It also has a control panel for adjusting heat. (Showering vs. laundry, etc.)

I can't tell you anything related to cost because it is the only system he ever used there.

I looked into one about 5 years ago when I replaced my parents water heater and at that time the exhaust kits that were required were damn near as much as the heater itself and the sizes on the exhaust pipes were proprietary so you couldn't just go buy the pipe yourself.

without reading the responses below. Typically the double walled stainless steel ducting was very expensive especially in the non idea installation. Newer units are about 95% efficient and only require a PVC exhaust vent. The additional cost is usually recovered in the initial installation.

since i go to a lot of new homes being built, I can honestly say the tankless thing must be something builders don't believe in. none of the new homes I've been in lately (last few years) have had one. they've all had the new high efficient tank water heaters.

I have one and a high efficient furnace and the most expensive gas and electric bill (together) was only $150 in the dead of winter. and my place is about 1500 sq feet and I keep it at 72 winter and summer.

Edited by serpentracer