dslr camera help!

M_Quick

I've had my Nikon D40 for almost 5 yrs now. Early this spring I took some pictures, and when uploaded to pc I noticed what appeared to be a hair or dirt spot. So I thought lens was dirty, cleaned it and forgot about it. Well Now I'm noticing the same spot in my telephoto lens, when taking pictures at son's highs school football games. If same spot is appearing in photos with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens, it can't be dirt on the lens can it? Is this possibly dirt inside on the mirror? And if so how would go about cleaning it? Here's a picture with spot outlined in red with 55mm lens.

DSC_7914a.jpg

And here's a picture with the 200mm lens same spot marked in red.

DSC_8947a.jpg

Edited by M_Quick

It's dirt on your sensor. You can get a tornado blower and blow it out. Do NOT use an aerosol blower. Put it on M, and set the shutter speed to Bulb. That will hold the shutter open while you puff it out. Hold the body upside down so the dust falls out once dislodged. Hope that helps.

It's dirt on your sensor. You can get a tornado blower and blow it out. Do NOT use an aerosol blower. Put it on M, and set the shutter speed to Bulb. That will hold the shutter open while you puff it out. Hold the body upside down so the dust falls out once dislodged. Hope that helps.

Damn you Roland! :D

Seconds quicker.

Thanks for info, so you think just a blower will work. And don't try cleaning with solvent, unless I have too?

Sounds like its time to buy a new one. :)

Yea that's it, first time it needs clean go out and buy a new $500 camera.

http://www.cameta.com/Canon-Optical-Digital-Camera-Lens-Cleaning-Kit-Brush-Microfiber-Cloth-Fluid-Tissue-46917.cfm

Edited by M_Quick

Thanks for info, so you think just a blower will work. And don't try cleaning with solvent, unless I have too?

Unless there is grease on the sensor or dust, it should just dislodge with the puff of air. Solvents are the last option. It can streak, and if done incorrectly can damage the sensor. Very careful there...

As much as I hate to admit, this guy knows what he's talking about.

Although, I think it's time to go buy a Canon! :lol:

I bought an Arctic Butterfly 788 recently to try cleaning the sensor on one of my cameras. Unfortunately whatever was on the sensor smeared, so if blowing it out with a little bit of air does not work I may recommend Midwest Photo Exchange on High Street. They have a gal there that has a little bit of experience cleaning sensors. I do not know what the cost is, but I do know that I need to get down there and get one of my sensors cleaned.

Unless there is grease on the sensor or dust, it should just dislodge with the puff of air. Solvents are the last option. It can streak, and if done incorrectly can damage the sensor. Very careful there...

Thank's again for the information.

I bought an Arctic Butterfly 788 recently to try cleaning the sensor on one of my cameras. Unfortunately whatever was on the sensor smeared, so if blowing it out with a little bit of air does not work I may recommend Midwest Photo Exchange on High Street. They have a gal there that has a little bit of experience cleaning sensors. I do not know what the cost is, but I do know that I need to get down there and get one of my sensors cleaned.

And if the air don't work I may take it to see your girl on High.