Fork seals

rawlins87

My 1977 dt400 needs the seals replaced. I've never replaced fork seals before and was wondering how difficult it is? I'm a mechanically inclined person so I'd like to do it myself to get the experience. Any bubby's wanna help? Will trade help for beer/welding...

It's pretty easy, really, most of the specialty tools needed for most forks can be easily made...namely the fork seal driver and a spring rod holder tool. PVC and a piece of wood in the shape of a tuning fork....and that's IF your forks need it, some don't.

Plenty of youtube videos out there to watch and see for yourself.

Pvc pipe and a wooden dowel are about all you need, they make specialty tools but you don't really need them to do the job safely. Find out what weight oil your forks need and how much. If they feel a little soft, put a higher weight oil in. Tranny fluid is about 7-7.5 if it takes 5 wt and you want it a little stiffer. I know guys who have used dextron in forks with zero problems. Main thing is seating the seals without damaging them, that's what the PVC pipe is for. 1.5 inch should be good but measure your chrome legs and buy accordingly.