Samsung Galaxy S3 Opinions

Hailwood

....and Motorola is going to have my back on updates.

On the software side Motorola pretty much blows dead goats these days. Their new CEO via Google+ has publicly said that he knows they blow dead goats and he says he is going to fix it.

On the software side Motorola pretty much blows dead goats these days. Their new CEO via Google+ has publicly said that he knows they blow dead goats and he says he is going to fix it.

Well, they didn't with the Atrix. They had it on their site for quite some time that the ICS update would be 3Q 2012, then it (and some others in that same niche, "not quite as powerful as Droid" product line) were dropped, all with the ability to run ICS and having CM9 ported to them for quite some time.

As far as I'm concerned, they've got about a year and 3/4 to prove that they are better than Samsung, and so far they're not off to the best of starts even after the acquisition.

Well, they didn't with the Atrix. They had it on their site for quite some time that the ICS update would be 3Q 2012, then it (and some others in that same niche, "not quite as powerful as Droid" product line) were dropped, all with the ability to run ICS and having CM9 ported to them for quite some time.

As far as I'm concerned, they've got about a year and 3/4 to prove that they are better than Samsung, and so far they're not off to the best of starts even after the acquisition.

I didn't mean to imply they had fixed the issues, they have not imho. They have about 5 months to convince me and it will be a really hard sell. Especially after seeing the LACK of bloatware on the S3 my wife just got along with some of the really cool software Samsung makes. Their S Voice software is amazing. It actually does all the things that Apple claimed Siri would do.

I didn't mean to imply they had fixed the issues, they have not imho. They have about 5 months to convince me and it will be a really hard sell. Especially after seeing the LACK of bloatware on the S3 my wife just got along with some of the really cool software Samsung makes. Their S Voice software is amazing. It actually does all the things that Apple claimed Siri would do.

I think S Voice sounds like Siri the morning after a alcohol and cigarette bender, all gravelly and shit. :)

I've been slowly tinkering. Just picked up some NFC tags from Samsung and going to go buck-wild with those.

I think S Voice sounds like Siri the morning after a alcohol and cigarette bender, all gravelly and shit. :)

I've been slowly tinkering. Just picked up some NFC tags from Samsung and going to go buck-wild with those.

I just played with that for the first time today, and yes, that shit sounds terrible! It reminds me of Microsoft Sam from back in the day where you could type in anything and have the computer say it to you, very primitive sounding voice. The actions that it does are pretty cool though. I definitely love this phone.

Timely thread. I'm thinking of ditching my Evo Shift for an S3...or maybe the Note II. I'll have to go to the brick and mortar and play with them for a while.

I think I've finally decided to ditch the sliding keyboard...even though my big fingers typically hate soft keyboards.

I considered an iPhone, but I'm not a fan of Apple's walled garden.

I think I've finally decided to ditch the sliding keyboard...even though my big fingers typically hate soft keyboards.

I came from a Galaxy S1, so I hear you about the slide out keyboard. Just practice with the on screen keyboard only for about a week before ditching it you won't even remember you had a slide out.

not a fan of Apple's walled garden.

My reason exactly!

Sprint just got the Galaxy Note II :D:D....so my brand new week-old Galaxy S3 is going back today after work!! :D

It's pretty much the same thing except bigger. And we all know bigger is better!

Not even close to the same thing. Galaxy Note 2 is going to blow the S3 out of the water in screen size and power. 1.6ghz Quad Core processor vs the dual core of the S3.

The Note 2 will be the fastest phone out. I definitely agree with your decision to take the S3 back for the GN2.

I have mine pre ordered!

Not even close to the same thing. Galaxy Note 2 is going to blow the S3 out of the water in screen size and power. 1.6ghz Quad Core processor vs the dual core of the S3.

The Note 2 will be the fastest phone out. I definitely agree with your decision to take the S3 back for the GN2.

I have mine pre ordered!

Yes, it will blow the S3 out of the water with screen size, seeing as it's almost double the screen area. I, for one, don't want to carry around a mini-tablet everywhere I go, so I opted for the S3.

Should I download the Lookout security app?

Don't want any bloatware and not sure if I need it.

To add to that question, should I dl Verizon apps at all? Trying to keep this thing fast and not burn through battery.

Sorry for the newb-ness of my questions.

Edited by max power

Should I download the Lookout security app?

Don't want any bloatware and not sure if I need it.

To add to that question, should I dl Verizon apps at all? Trying to keep this thing fast and not burn through battery.

Sorry for the newb-ness of my questions.

Do this for every pre-installed Verizon app (except Voicemail)

Go to the App screen (the series of boxes on the lower right of the home screen

Press and hold the Verizon dumbfuck bloatware app.

After a pause, you'll see the screen change to a zoomed out version of your Home screen, with some icons on the bottom. One of those icons will say App Info. Without releasing your finger, drag that icon on top of the App Info icon on the bottom of your screen.

Once you're in there, the rest is easy. Hit Force Stop to stop the app and any processes it has (It'll give you a warning, just ignore it), then hit Disable to disable the app from bring run (again, ignore warning). Go back to app screen, what bloatware? Rinse and repeat for the Verizon installed apps.

Be careful with this, as you are administratively disabling applications so they can't be run even by the system. This is OK for the Verizon stuff as it's all bullshit fluff anyway, but if you get overzealous and disable a system app you may find things acting a little weird. If you fancy a trip to IP or will be up in my neck of the woods anytime soon, I'll be happy to take a look at things for you, I'm doing the same thing to my Verizon S3.

I returned the s3 yesterday. I found it annoyingly buggy and it kept force closing applications.

The final straw was when it fell from the console of my work truck and hit the floor, maybe 18 inches, and cracked the screen.

I ordered the iPhone 5. My wife still has the s3 so soon I can give a full comparison report.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I'm sure you'll really like the i5 - my wife is still really enjoying hers, and it's a great phone.

I'm still happy with my S3 and thankfully haven't had any issues. Android requries some tweaking, but I like tinkering with things, so it's a good fit for me.

Just traded my Conquer 4G in for a S3, love this phone got the 16gb version and use a 32 gb micro sd as well.installed utorrent app and watch movies all day at work. I really love the sync feature downloaded Brave for the kids to watch and played it on my xbox over the wireless network. Still exploring all the features on this phone.