Steep Gravel Driveway Advice

JohnG

Well......yeah!

Everyone's I can recall seeing is red. Although....Ive never seen yours though. Can I safely assume it's not red?

damnit its 3...I forgot about tbut. Others I know of are a gloss black, flat black, a gray metallic, white and a RWB

sounds like a pain in the ass, just go in the car. that is, unless he is going to die, and he just HAS to see a 2001 vfr before he dies.

(ok, if that is really the case, and he really wanted to see your bike before passing, i'm REALLY sorry, i didn't mean anything by it)

There's some nice riding roads in the Sugar Grove area (on 33 on the way to Hocking Hills if you didn't know), so I've got selfish reasons for riding the bike down.

i vote rear brake, and keep your left ass cheek off the seat. I think front brake would be asking to lock it, and if (when) the rear locks, you want to force the bike to fall to the side with your available leg.

A VFR isn't so large that you can't control which way you fish-tail when the rear locks.

You could keep the engine off with the bike in first gear and walk it down using the clutch and front brake to control it's decent. But if it was me, I would keep my feet on the pegs with the motor running and in first gear and go just fast enough to keep control, while using both brakes lightly and carefully. As long as your wheels are turning, you will have some traction and more control. If the wheels started locking up I would feather my brakes just like you were in a car and stopping on ice.

no front brake, only back. front brake = front end washes out = no fun.

if it's too steep for you to ride down, I suppose you could walk it down, backward, using the front brake. :dunno:

...How would your 10 year old self handle it on a BMX bike?
No brakes, balls to the wall is how your 10 year old self would do it.

Long run out, grip it and let it rip.

Otherwise, cover the front brake with light pressure for resistance. leave it in gear and work it down with the clutch and brake. Stand up, slam the rear brake on and let is skid.

Use of front brake depends on the circumstances. Amount of front brake is the inverse of steepness and length. Meaning, if it is short and steep with a decent run out = no brake and let it rip. Steep and long, manage the front brake to control momentum. Do it all the time on the mountain bike.

Just don't do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbkTncjEOs

How loose is the gravel? Find the tracks with less gravel.

I vote for walk up with a locked bike.

Edited by Revelstoker

Seriously it's a freaking gravel driveway if you make it up you can make it back down you are thinking about it way too much just ride down the damn thing with no hard braking or sudden movement of front wheel all will be good.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. And I'm not as worried about laying it down as I am pinning it against a tree. The "driveway" is really just a gravel and stone path that he poured thru the woods and then drove on it for the past 25 years. It's a cool ass place, no frills, good hunting.

Thanks for all the input. I'm no dirt biker, and I love the viffer too much to fuck it up.

I had to do about a quarter mile to the cabin in hocking hills, with my fiance on the back. Hills and turns and shit too. Speed is your ally. Let the rear get loose, and be planted on the front. Don't think about it and your instincts will help.

Like how whoever said, what would your ten year old self do? probably go as fast as possible...