LED or Plasma?

magley64

Now I'm 90% sure I'm going plasma, it'll give me motivation to limit my gaming some anyway...

Power consumption is within a few watts, I prefer samsung to sharp, and the plasmas just looks so much better to me. Again, this could be the matte finish vs the glass screen.

this is what I'm talking about. a cheap vizio lcd next to a panasonic plasma.

the plasma is dark and dingy looking. no I didn't alter it on purpose. I just walked up and took the picture.

all the plasma's look this dark. I just don't like it.

8151234927_f8cd3ed411_h.jpg

8151260794_68c2453a66_b.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

this is what I'm talking about. a cheap vizio lcd next to a panasonic plasma.

the plasma is dark and dingy looking. no I didn't alter it on purpose. I just walked up and took the picture.

all the plasma's look this dark. I just don't like it.

8151234927_f8cd3ed411_h.jpg

8151260794_68c2453a66_b.jpg

I cannot agree with these pictures as proof, sorry...

20120915_131340.jpg

20120915_131335.jpg

Bad cellphone pics I know, but mine isn't "dark and dingy" if I was at home I could take a real pic with my camera as these are just pics of my kids with my old T.V. Setup in the background.

I get a nice crisp background with clear color and have my settings set up properly for good picture quality(darker black, sharper edges, wide view, etc)

Plasmas have nice rich color... LED are super bright and washed out, and the motion blur on any station that isn't hd is nuts.. Same for hd programming that's fast paced... My mom's brand new LED doesn't look half as good as my 2yr old plasma, and she paid a few hundred more than I did

You can turn brightness up on a plasma... Mine is set at like 60 percent and it looks plenty bright, even in my living room

I have a Panasonic TH50PZ800U 50" plasma and love it. Most people complain about the plasma tv's, I personally wouldn't trade mine for anything else. Sure it used a little more power from the wall but the image is amazing. I have looked at plenty of high end LCD's and projectors and still prefer the image I get on the plasma. Like other have said, I feel the image on the LCD displays look fake somehow. I have never been able to fully explain what it is about the picture but it looks like it has been over enhanced and no longer looks natural.

Here is mine while playing Crysis Warhead from a PC. As you can see it was more than bright enough to show dark blacks and brilliant almost washed out whites. Mine will get some screen burn, I noticed on the 6-7 hour marathon gaming secessions the cross hair and the health meter will leave an afterimage. I would just leave the tv on with the windows screensaver running for an hour or two or just ignore it and go back to normal tv watching and within a few hours if was gone.

PICT4324.jpg

The biggest thing you need to remember about big box stores is that none of the tv's are calibrated. If the remotes are available, you need to play with the color setting on the tv's you are interested in and see what range of adjustment is available and how good you can make it look. You have no clue who the last person was that messed with the settings and may have made one tv look worst, just so the one's with the higher profit margin look better :rolleyes:.

• Upvote 1

LED

Specifically the Samsung,seriously the best picture I've ever seen.

Ask if there are any open box at stores,

Mine was half off and everything inside was still sealed!

My last 2 tv's have been open box, still going strong and got them at a great price.

hell I bought a stereo reciever that was a display unit from circuit city. it was the high end one at the time they used in those rooms they had set up.

it was more than 1/2 off and they had all the manuals and remote with it still.

from reading a few online sources they all say plasma TV's are better than lcd and led in just about all aspects except burn in. which one said if it happens should go away in a few days. didn't realize that. but the latest tvs have really good anti-burn in stuff to help eliminate this problem. which is a good reason to stick to well known name brand units like panasonic etc and not vizio etc.

this is a big hang up for me since I had a HD samsung rear projection tv that got the black bars burned into the screen. you can't avoid it as most shows and movies have bars on either the top and bottom or the sides. this will burn a image into your screens.

I have a 32" panasonic LCD I bought about a year ago for the bedroom and don't notice any kind of motion blur that everyone keeps talking about. and supposedly a lcd can't display black images like a plasma but they look fine to me. maybe it's not big enough to see the effects?

I have noticed it on my mom's cheap ass RCA tv but not mine.

Edited by serpentracer

Don't worry about burn in. It goes away or you can screen wipe. Kids pass out in front of tv leaving video game or movie menus on all the time.

As for the Sharp aquis. Are the still rocking 4 colors? Or did they give that up?

Don't worry about burn in. It goes away or you can screen wipe. Kids pass out in front of tv leaving video game or movie menus on all the time.

As for the Sharp aquis. Are the still rocking 4 colors? Or did they give that up?

I don't know, but because I understand a little about color science, I know it was bullshit.

You only have 3 cone types in your eye: red, green, and blue. Yellow is the presence of green and the absence of blue... you don't actually detect yellow, you generate it.

things I learned when shopping for a HDTV. Lighting has a big bearing on which, plasma or lcd/led will work best for a person.

We have a plasma with zero burn in. Another thing we learned was plasma's consume more power.

I don't know, but because I understand a little about color science, I know it was bullshit.

You only have 3 cone types in your eye: red, green, and blue. Yellow is the presence of green and the absence of blue... you don't actually detect yellow, you generate it.

You are right about the fourth color being bullshit. Considering tv is broadcast in red blue and green. The fourth color was yellow I do believe.

Your color science isn't off by much. You have described projected images. Hence red green and blue for television.

Refracted images (painting and pictures) you need the primary colors red yellow and blue to get all the colors.

Worked in a tv shop finding that shit out blew my mind.

You are right about the fourth color being bullshit. Considering tv is broadcast in red blue and green. The fourth color was yellow I do believe.

Your color science isn't off by much. You have described projected images. Hence red green and blue for television.

Refracted images (painting and pictures) you need the primary colors red yellow and blue to get all the colors.

Worked in a tv shop finding that shit out blew my mind.

correct, their fourth "color" was yellow... but again your eye can't even detect yellow directly.

Thanks, but I'm not a fan of the lucky/goldstar/zenith conglomerate...

Interior components are all only made by a few companies anyway, I wouldn't sweat it one bit. What you mentioned is owned by LG "which you knew", and is ranked 2nd behind Samsung for television sales. ;)

I'm not impressed by samsung tv's anymore after mine only lasted 8 years. hell my bike battery is older than this tv.

and i've heard the same thing about the ccd's in digital camera's. there's only like 2 companies that make them. I think sony and kodak. I'm probably wrong on that. but I know they said there was just a few companies that make them.

edit a quick google search said that's correct.

Edited by serpentracer