LED or Plasma?

magley64

Black Friday blows for nice tv's as well as big tv's normally. Absolute best time to buy a large quality TV is February

900 is the right price, jump on it! I've seen it as low as $800 but that was last Super Bowl blitz

oh? so when did you buy your 70" you were selling?

either

Whatever you buy properly calibrate it

I'm watching my bro-in law's new Panasonic plasma, and it looks like absolute garbage because it is on default settings and he still raves how great it is. My 7 year old DLP smokes this TV in its current form because of the shitty calibration....

I love my plasma and think it looks better than any LCD or LED I have seen lately. They all look fake and do not have smooth pictures but I havent looked at a higher end one in awhile either so....

Cant go wrong with either really.

either

Whatever you buy properly calibrate it

I'm watching my bro-in law's new Panasonic plasma, and it looks like absolute garbage because it is on default settings and he still raves how great it is. My 7 year old DLP smokes this TV in its current form because of the shitty calibration....

What's your recommendation to use for calibration?

What's your recommendation to use for calibration?

There are a lot of options:

Used calibration images and read up to do it yourself

Find a dvd/blu ray like Digital Video Essentials that explains settings and has the images.

Use a tool like the Sypder calibration system.

Or pay someone to come in with professional tools and do a proper setup.

One thing to remember, the settings for watching a late night movie(when quality matters most IMO) are going to be different than during the day with all kinds of ambient light blasting through the windows.

I used calibration images then tested with DVE and have been very happy with the results. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the best calibration tool in my budget and either sell it when I was done or offer to calibrate TV's for a small fee/beer.

I went through the same decision making process last month and opted for a 55" Panasonic ST55 Plasma.

Of course, the sale price at the time helped but it's a really nice upgrade from my LCD Visio. Blu-ray movies are amazing, OTA viewing is so much better than cable, and video games are fantastic but I haven't tried out the 3D yet. I used the settings listed on CNET to setup the picture quality and it's pretty darn good - way better than the default settings which weren't all that great, actually they sucked, to be honest.

Also, the newer plasma's don't heat up like the older one's and have improved with respect to energy consumption - not on par with an LED but still an improvement.

Edited by baptizo

I love my 50" Samsung Plasma bought two years ago in this coming January. Don't do any gaming though. Movies and sports are a great picture...no blurring and bright, crisp pic. LED's have been coming on more strong since then. They were just getting popular then. Base it on your needs.

I can't believe you think the brightness on a plasma looks brighter than a led. you're not seeing the same pictures I'm seeing on them then.

white on the plasmas always look yellow/dingy

I actually went out to best buy tonight and did a side by side comparison of the 2 TV's I was considering....

I definitely preferred the picture of the plasma...it just looked crisper, brighter,and cleaner....the LED had a "dull" look to it. maybe it's the matte surface vs the glass that i'm noticing...

when I look at them I try the adjustments etc. (pain in the ass without a remote) but the LED and LCD's just look so much better to me.

I honestly figured plasma's were dead technology since they're always marked down $100+ less than the comparable LCD's. that's why I almost bought one. it was a 50" samsung for I think about $499. but hanging up next to all the led's and lcd's it just looked noticably less bright in the whites, colors were more washed out(soft) and over all looked more like a rear projection tv.

Edited by serpentracer

Just bought 51" Samsung Plasma 3d/Smart TV(w/2 sets of glasses)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+51%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4846783.p;tab=reviews?id=1218551143252&skuId=4846783

$850 at Best buy, received a free Samsung 3d/Smart Blu-ray player. Also got 36 months no financing + reward zone points.

Best picture! Burn in is a thing of the past on new plasmas. Built in speakers are weak(I use a receiver exclusively). Shows glare in a bright room. Awesome reviews(don't listen to the ones older than 2012, because this is a new model). Some reviews also mention black levels, because the user hasn't set the TV up properly.

I had no intentions of getting 3d or Smart TV, but both are game changers with this TV.

What size TV are you stepping up from? Those huge TVs in the store look cool, but can be overkill in most homes.

Edited by Tigerpaw

What size TV are you stepping up from? Those huge TVs in the store look cool, but can be overkill in most homes.

I bought a house. Tv is for my new living room.

Right now I have a 32 lcd. The parents small living room has a 42 plasma I picked out for them about 4 years ago.

My sister has a 50 plasma that I helped her pick out in her tiny apartment

Edited by magley64

I differ on that opinion, I had a 50" and surround sound in my bedroom while I was in college. If you calibrate the TV so it isn't giving you a suntan like most display models, you can easily sit at the "optimal" viewing distances listed below and not feel beat up after watching a night of TV.

resolution_chart.png

...le sigh...every tv thread I say that same thing...

Side by side comparisons will not benefit you in store unless on a dedicated bluray player or the like as the signals are split so many times that none of the tvs look their best.

Actually the end of october and early november are the best times to buy nice tvs for the current model year. Not black friday or holidays.

LEDs are by far the best tvs as they combine all of the best features of plasma and LCD. Plasmas screens do not have a technically higher refresh rate (they flicker many more times than LED/LCD) but it is the same picture. If you want a "smoother" gaming experience you should go with LED as the 120 or 240 hz processing will make generated images in between the two original images. I play most FPS games and the like and never have a noticeable issue with lag.

Qualifications: Operations manager and Sales manager at HHG

I have a 55in 3D Sony LED capable of 240hz (technically 480hz as it adds in black panels/flickers the LEDs inbetween the computer generated frames)

oh? so when did you buy your 70" you were selling?

In February, a week before the Super Bowl. The 60" they had on sale for $800 at the time was not a smart tv. Mine is the 70" smart version and real pleased I didn't jump the gun and sell it before I moved

In February, a week before the Super Bowl. The 60" they had on sale for $800 at the time was not a smart tv. Mine is the 70" smart version and real pleased I didn't jump the gun and sell it before I moved

Oh I thought there was some crazy popular 70" during bf last year or the year before. Is yours a sharp? I think it was 2k. Hhgregg guy would know. I dont remember if it was a smart web enabled one or not.