Anyone have a Smart car?

conn-e-rot

Aren't repair costs on subarus pretty steep?

No unusually so. Mine typically doesn't break so I don't know how much it costs to repair stuff. I've put an injector in it ($80), 2 new balljoints ($50/ea) and suspension bushings ($20 ea). Don't recall anything unusual in 5 years. It has 100k miles on it.

Edited by Scruit

And a Mercedes Smart is cheaper? :wtf:

Yes they are quite a bit cheaper and not sure why.... everyone says the maintenance costs but from browsing the parts sites seem pretty much inline with others... that is why I started the thread I know nothing about them and don't want a money pit

Anyone know how reliable the KIA line is? I've never known anyone that had one

Don't get one had one in '07 it was an '06 and the damn thing kept dying. Only had 22k on it no one could figure out what the problem was and they werent sure if the warranty covered it. Sure enough I got rid of the dams thing. They might be better now but I'm out from KIA

Yes they are quite a bit cheaper and not sure why.... everyone says the maintenance costs but from browsing the parts sites seem pretty much inline with others... that is why I started the thread I know nothing about them and don't want a money pit

The smaller packaging of components might cause higher labor costs to r&r those cheap components.

I would hang with a civic myself....... I dont matter if its got over 100k miles on em. We had a 92 sedan that we sold in 01 with 280+k miles and its still running around town. Heres the other thing and the problem i have with a little piss ass car like that...... Anything as far as a crumple zone or such is nil. The energy from a impact has to get depleted somewhere and as small as they are theres only one thing left..... The passengers. Just my thoughts....

SmartCar is great if you have a tight parking space.

However as mentioned there are better choices for about every other item.

Handling is very poor with an ultra short wheelbase and high center of gravity.

It will be even worse in the snow due to the rear wheel drive.

Not any more fuel efficient than many other small cars.

Much less room than about any other car.

High maintenance costs.

MSRP is fairly high vs other small cars but it appears they drop value quickly.

However it will stand out and she wont be hauling around a gaggle of friends :)

Hyundai's and Kia's are usually lower priced than Honda's and Civics in the used car market and are pretty reliable these days. Thats the direction I went for a college car back in the 90s and wasn't disappointed. I think they are an even better option these days.

Craig

My other son bought one of those KIA vans, supposedly a consumers choice for safety or some shit. It literally fell apart within a couple of years. A real pos imho.

Yes she is spoiled by my choice.... haters gonna hate and I really don't give a fuck

This statement right here just made you my new best friend!

I have one child, a boy, and you're God damned right I'm going to spoil him.

That's just one of the reasons I work my ass off.

I'm buying you a fucking beer.

We need to meet (no homo).

Although Kia has come a long way in the last ten years, I wouldn't buy a used one. The super warranty they talk about is only for the original owner, if you buy it used it reverts to something different. And with the progress they are still making, a five year old Kia is still a risky investment. If you want to pony up and buy her a new Rio, do it. It'll still be under warranty most if not all of the time your daughter owns it.

That being said, $11k is awfully good money for a used car. You're knocking on the door of new car at that point. Versas and Rios both start (realistically) in the $13-14k range. I think you might be able to get a Spark for that money too. Buying new eliminates a lot of the concerns you have (maintenance cost). You don't get into the big money stuff until 60k miles and later.

This statement right here just made you my new best friend!

I have one child, a boy, and you're God damned right I'm going to spoil him.

That's just one of the reasons I work my ass off.

I'm buying you a fucking beer.

We need to meet (no homo).

This - I have two kids, and they're close enough together, they'll have to share a car - but I'll buy them a new one, even if I'm driving a piece of shit. I'd rather them have the new one that is safe and worry free. I can fix my own car, they don't need to worry about it.

Let's face it, when most of us were kids, safety features were seat belts and maybe air bags. The difference now between a ten year old car and a new one is huge. I don't blame you at all for wanting the best thing you can afford for your kid.

i believe the Versa is either the least expensive, or second least expensive new car available in the US when you're talking base prices.

That said, it isn't a bad car, there is just nothing you'd ever rave about either. Motor Trend compared it to a Kia model (the two least expensive new cars on the market), and while they were impressed overall with both "for the price," that was a backhanded compliment at best.

For a teenage daughter, it would be safe, reliable, efficient, cheap, and pretty uninspiring to drive. Sounds about perfect.

FWIW the Cube's have a horrible blind spot on the drivers side if she is one that turns her head to double check the lane. My friend has one and I drove it and that drove me crazy

I don't think I'd let her park a cube in my drive it's ugly as hell