Leaning in Corners...

ridein

Minimal lean, minimal countersteer in both vids.. The first cop vid is pretty much all steering, the second one is pretty much him throwing himself into a lean the entire time. I just close my eyes and pray to make the corners, Jesus don't fail me now :)

You don't countersteer by going lock to lock, it's all minimal.

Why oh why did I start posting in this thread.

do we really need a 2nd thread of arguing with Exarch about countersteering? I don't give a shit what its called or what peoples theory is...just go out and learn how to take a god damn corner like a man

He tried that last part and failed.

Relax, I was just kidding :lol: I kind of figured the sarcasm would be more/less implied, but incase that wasn't enough I spelled out the obvious with comments like "I dont lean I just rock" and " I just close my eyes and pray to Jesus" I don't want to start that whole countersteering mess again please. Let's just laugh at the obviously not funny to some joke and move along :)

Edited by Exarch

This

which is where the LULZ are!
is > this
Relax, I was just kidding :lol: I kind of figured the sarcasm would be more/less implied, but incase that wasn't enough I spelled out the obvious with comments like "I dont lean I just rock" and " I just close my eyes and pray to Jesus" I don't want to start that whole countersteering mess again please. Let's just laugh at the obviously not funny to some joke and move along :)

The whole principle of counter steering is a lot easier to understand when you realize that the COG on a motorcycle (with rider) is roughly between your shins...

Shifting your weight to one side disrupts that COG slightly, but in order to really make the bike turn left, you have to pull the bike's base out from under it by making the front wheel go right for a moment. Then your weight shift is enough to maintain a constant "fall" perceived as a lean while you turn.

Moving your body back on top of the bike doesn't straighten it out either, you have to bring the front wheel back under the bike.

This is all easily demonstrated with a broom stick...

Look how he is looking at the exit of the curve so he will go where he looks and his peg is draging.A freind of mine showed me this picture,I told him that's going to take a while to do that..

Edited by ridein

Honestly, that guy doesn't have good form. You are correct though, he is looking through the turn which is very good. He is bolt upright sitting while turning which actually ends up reducing maximum turn speed. The bike can only be leaned so far, changing the center of gravity while being off to the side reduces the lean angle of the bike for a given speed. If he had proper form, the bike would be standing much more vertical. Take a look at this:

full_lean.jpg

See on the bike is more upright than the rider? The lean angle of the bike is about the same in both pictures, but I can guarantee you that this rider is going much faster. Watch the sexy girl demonstrating body position, not a bad reference actually.

He is on the street not the race track.He is already dragging the pegs any further he's hiting hard parts.There's a difference between the track and the street.He is probaly sitting up more to see around the corner looking for cars.o On the race track you do not have to worry about a car comimg in your lane.True if you get lower than the bike you do not have to lean the bike over as far,Race bike and street bike,s are a total differnt place,rocks,graval,cars,anamils,people texting,,,,,,,The street is not a race track.That's what my freind always says.Race bike's weigh less,get to practice ride the same corners over and over.Racing is just a matter of hiting your marks......

He is on the street not the race track.He is already dragging the pegs any further he's hiting hard parts.There's a difference between the track and the street.He is probaly sitting up more to see around the corner looking for cars.o On the race track you do not have to worry about a car comimg in your lane.True if you get lower than the bike you do not have to lean the bike over as far,Race bike and street bike,s are a total differnt place,rocks,graval,cars,anamils,people texting,,,,,,,The street is not a race track.That's what my freind always says.Race bike's weigh less,get to practice ride the same corners over and over.Racing is just a matter of hiting your marks......

1) Yes, roads have more obstacle, that doesn't mean you get to forget about mechanics. It also means you should leave a wider safety margin

2) Scraping hard parts is bad (read: highside bad). If he had better form then he wouldn't be in as dangerous of a situation and he could correct for said dangers (bike would be more vertical for the given speed).

3) Proper form means you are more forward so you end up technically being able to see around the turn more. In practice, with human reaction times, you can sit any damn way you want on a bike and it won't help you to see around a turn better.

I guess you will start off being Exarch2, so...

NothingToDoHereBlackWithTextSS.png

Lean off the bike and you don't have to lean it as far. The only way you'll figure it out is either take the advice given here or do your own thing until you crash. Right now it seems like you feel like doing the second part based on your arguing of the advice given.

im no expert in form, but but here is a video for reference.

yes im on the street not track, and i am getting my body off the bike in this video.

im not hanging off like Rossi, but getting your body weight over does reduce lean angle of the bike. less lean angle more grip.

also notice how im looking towards where i want to go , looking through the turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcOq8tjlisg

Edited by Hoblick

I should of just took the advice you guys gave me instead of thinking i knew it all.I just get all fired up when i should just listen.after reading the post again i really got some great advice.....I am sorry if i made anybody mad.Sometime's you just say things before you think.....I really do want to be a better rider.Thanks again for the advice.....