And so it begins....

RHill

• 3 weeks later...

Going nuts.....want to do a track day so bad....riding on the street is fun, but just not the same anymore.  

Grattan, I miss you....next year I promise I'll stop screwing around being the king of intermediate and bump to advance so we can spend some quality time together.  I also promise I'll bring tire warmers that work so the first two laps are not completely pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a bit of an issue when installing my exhaust.  I got the spigots(if that is what they are called) installed....they were not going in because the previous owner overtightened everything to the point of deforming and crushing them slightly.  Cleaned them up with sandpaper and lightly hit the outside so they could be tapped into place, not sure how they will ever come out because it was still a tight fit.  

Next up I went to install the clamps....and that is where the real issue resides.  They seem to be bent, but I've never installed a full system before.  I can say the ears hit the embosses on the head before the clamp hits the spigot.  3 out of the 4 have a good curve to them....enough that it actually opens the clamp up to the point they barely catch the edge of the spigot.  I'm pretty sure it is cast iron too, so if they didn't come like this originally, I'm not sure how they could bend this far without breaking.  Not the greatest pics.

IMG_20131205_184048.jpgIMG_20131205_184131.jpg

• 4 months later...

Was counting through my take offs and thought I'd post up a photo of the front tire that pushed at Jennings during the mock race.  Other side has a less-developed tear.  

Tire in the background shows why I don't love hoop-style wheel chocks.  The dimples go away after a heat cycle or two, I just hate seeing them.

IMG_20140419_155156.jpg

I think you are right Craig, its the lap when laying the rubber. 

Not saying the crash was a result of the tear, just that the condition of the tire wasn't up to par.  I only put 2 sessions total on the tire and it was a good looking "10 lap" take-off before hand.

Crash was my fault; shitty gear selection(shifting up out of 12 wtf?), pushing to try to regain ground that was lost in the pack, and not removing the tire when I felt a couple little pushes in the previous session.  Watching videos after the fact, I also see that I was getting some front end chatter in that turn.

feel and price last I rode Pirellis.  I've tried both, but the pirelli's have a softer "feel" to them that I personally really like.  They are known for great feedback and now especially for their longer tire life.  I rode on some GP-A dunlops this weekend and they just felt vague/hard.  Not very confidence inspiring with the front end at all.

Like Drew said, the Pirelli front is just awesome.  It has the softer carcass which gives great feedback and just sticks when it probably shouldn't.  Also, the newer rear in 180/60 is sick and it just lets you pin it and get crazy drive out of corners.  I've never used Dunlop, but the Bridgestones have a stiff construction as well and were just less confidence inspiring, and my bike just felt less planted on them.  I will say though that when I switched from the Bridgestones to the Pirellis, the first few laps scared the shit out of me because the bike was moving around under hard braking way more than it used too.  But it's very controlled and I got used to that very quickly.  The Pirelli front will last a long ass time, and I usually end up changing it out well before the tread goes just because I feel like a race tire shouldn't be lasting this long, lol.  I think it really is just about what feel you prefer.

alright, sometime this season I need to snag a set of ragged out take offs from one of you fuckers to give the Pirelli carcass a shot.  I have to admit, mounting those things up is like a dream vs dunlops....could just about push them on by hand.

Only issues I've had with dunlops was a 209 front (yuck) and this 211 takeoff, but I really think the 211 was mistreated or something.

I was getting good life out of the take offs last season...about 4 track days/rear with a flip; taking it to no tread on one side.  Fronts I just changed whenever, have a surplus of those.

It seems like the dunlop are cheaper but you get free shipping on the pirelli so that makes it a wash. I just ordered a new rear gp-a but also need a new front. Maybe Il order a front pirelli and run a rear gpa until it keels over.

Or is that a bad idea?