And so it begins....

RHill

IIRC we usually ran 1 set and 1 rear plus fan/radio on our quiet 2000w

honda?

I think I've come to a conclusion....both will more than fit my needs. Since I missed the harbor freight open frame 4kw for $250 deal, I'll just wait it out till I spot another deal...hopefully either the champion inverter or standard models.

Edit: Just got home, Priorty mail dropped off my $100 rearsets. Yep, they are the "One second faster" OSF rearsets....oh well, $125 spare set(after buying an extra peg), can't really complain. I'll have to pull them apart to compare the pegs to vortex and see if I can come up with a way to use vortex pegs on them. Hopefully its is a simple bushing, spacer, or boring out the levers, but I doubt I'll be that lucky.

Edited by RHill

It's a harbor freight Honda knock off. Still works 5 yrs later

must have stopped carrying it, they have a couple small 900 watt 2 strokes, then jump up to 3500 and 4k....supposedly the 4k one I linked to earlier is a honda knock off.

Picked up some rubber. Add that to what is already mounted and I should have about 12 trackdays worth of tires. I think my street bike is going to be a daily driver this year ....lots of take-offs to burn up and I still have a set of road 2's that have a track day and 1k miles on them.

IMG_20130120_123721.jpg

Also picked up a new tool to make it a little more comfortable working on crap. Started off using the wheel chock, then switched to the front triple stand. The stands are a little more awkward than the chock when installing the bike, but the chock limits what you can work on. I'm pretty damn surprised with how stable it is. I stepped up on the side of the thing with the bike on there and didn't seem to give or flex at all. I'll be using it every time I work on a bike. The downside is, the jack is piece of shit and the pump lever is about 2x longer than it needs to be.

IMG_20130119_212755.jpg

Edited by RHill

So pissed, had a long reply typed and hit previous thread instead of post.

Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to fab up at this point. Two components need machined on a lathe, but it is nothing complicated. Ignoring those two parts, materials and hardware come in under $100 and it can all be done with a chop saw, drillpress, taps, grinder, welder and some wrenches.

Was also thinking about making the top modular, basically a slip and pin fit into the base. That way it wouldn't be as awkward to haul to the track.

oh man, they are used aaaaalot! They are actually really nice to use in the pits and for quick adjustments. while working as a tire official for a couple AMA rounds I got to see first hand the teams using those frame lift stands. makes wheel changes a breeze without those front/rear stands in the way.

Two sets of brake and clutch levers came in today. Which is a good thing, because I broke the stock clutch lever over the weekend when I stupidly tried to straighten it without heating. Luckily, it is just the tip of the lever.

Oh, to take the next step toward building that stand I need to pull dimensions and model up a portion of the bike.....and it is too damn cold after shoveling the sidewalk when I got back. Maybe tomorrow after I get home from work.

Edited by RHill

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching some of my gopro videos; trying to figure out braking points, early/late apexes and where I was overgeared.

Really anticipating the time to wrench on the bikes when it warms up. I need to get the track bike buttoned up and take it out to verify the transmission is good before putting any more "work" into it. I'd like to crack open both bikes and do the valves on them, that will have to wait until I know the track bike rolls smoothly.

I'm trying to talk one of the guys I've rode with in PA to come out for a day at PIRC. Told him that he can use my streetbike or trackbike, but he doesn't seem motivated for it at all. Even told him "he wouldn't need to do jack other than fork over for leathers and entry"; I have spares of everything he will need to get on the track besides the leather rental. Oh well, maybe give it another shot after it warms up.

nah, actually want another for myself. it would be nice to have a set of rains on a spare set of wheels. I have a good spare rear and a dented front. I've rode on the dented front before, its only slight and on the lip, but I don't trust it for the track.

Really was refering to gloves, boots, helmet and that good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Gave the garage a good cleaning over the weekend and started to mess with the bikes. Noticed the radiator support bracket was missing from the track bike and found one on ebay....easier than fabbing one up. Gas cap didn't close right on the track bike either, so I ordered a screw on one as well.

Both the rad support and cap came in, as well as a new helmet :D Picked up the Bell Star that STG has on clearance. I was debating between the Star and a Scorpion 700 that is also on clearance; not sure why I decided to splurge a little bit. After wearing it for a half hour, I'm pretty happy with spending the extra money, the fit is great and cannot wait to wear it on the road/track. Hopefully it won't have the buffeting issues of my old AFX helmet.

Gave the garage a good cleaning over the weekend and started to mess with the bikes. Noticed the radiator support bracket was missing from the track bike and found one on ebay....easier than fabbing one up. Gas cap didn't close right on the track bike either, so I ordered a screw on one as well.

Both the rad support and cap came in, as well as a new helmet :D Picked up the Bell Star that STG has on clearance. I was debating between the Star and a Scorpion 700 that is also on clearance; not sure why I decided to splurge a little bit. After wearing it for a half hour, I'm pretty happy with spending the extra money, the fit is great and cannot wait to wear it on the road/track. Hopefully it won't have the buffeting issues of my old AFX helmet.

You'll love the Star, I've had mine over 150+ many times with no buffeting - but mine has the spoiler added which is supposed to help with that. If your's isn't equipped, its a cheap add on and may be worth it for the cheap price

http://www.bikersden.com/p-2257-track-strip-wicker-for-bell-star-motorcycle-helmets.aspx