Engine Braking Brake light

Bearcat91

I was looking for a merc switch for my hard bed cover on the truck to activate leds when lifted. one of the reviews was from this guy and i thought it was a really cool idea because i too do alot of engine braking....

My motorcycle, has a lot of engine braking, so I'm often slowing down just on throttle without touching the brakes. That means I'm open to getting rear ended by an in-attentive driver. Conventional wisdom is to touch the brake pedal when doing this, but it's easy to forget to do that.

I installed this with one wire to the battery +ve, and the other tapped into the normal brake light power wire, near the brake light. I stuck the sensor on the top of my rear mudguard, under the pillion seat, at a rough 25 degree angle.

Now my brake light comes on whenever I slow am slowing down, whether or not am using the brakes.

Here is the switch link

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Mercury-Tilt-Switch/dp/B0002ZPBKM%3FSubscriptionId%3D0DWX0HJVE7AWX9HF4X82%26tag%3Dpricedumper-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002ZPBKM

That is quite brilliant. I wonder if it's patented yet.

On a related note I was once pulled over for "not displaying brake lights while slowing for a turn." Of course this was in my car about 4a on a Sunday.

What if you didn't need to slow down for said turn? This boggles me.

What if you didn't need to slow down for said turn? This boggles me.

I most definitely did not slow down for said turn but was in no position to argue.

Because RACECAR! :lol:

Exactly.

need a G load sensor (accelerometer), instead of a mercury tilt switch.

Otherwise it lights up when going downhill.

A longitudinal G sensor would have the exact same result.

Good idea.. But as said, I know I can pull my front brake lever and turn my light on without actually applying the brakes, so I saved myself the expense and time and just made it a habit..

This^

I have done this since I started riding because I too was always afraid of being rear ended, but now its second nature and I dont even notice I am doing it. I usually just tap the lever 3 times then let off and do it again when I am closer to stopping but this time actually applying the brakes on the 3rd tap.

...remind me to never ride behind you on a group ride. Brake light irritate the hell out of me.

It irritates the crap out of me too. I back away from such drivers so as to not be inclined to brake every time they touch the brake pedal.

...I can pull my front brake lever...without actually applying the brakes...and just made it a habit..

Me too. I don't want to apply the brakes all the time. I just want you to know I'm slowing or stopped.

I have done this since I started riding because I too was always afraid of being rear ended' date=' but now its second nature and I dont even notice I am doing it. I usually just tap the lever 3 times then let off and do it again when I am closer to stopping but this time actually applying the brakes on the 3rd tap.

[/quote']

I'm onboard with this.