Lane splitting: Not addressed in codes or statutes?

Mc_spirited

If it is legal then this i why it will never be truly legal... Cops not knowing it or just saying tough you get a ticket...

Yes I have a bad outlook on cops after a few incidents (cop lying on the stand, HWP refusing to show me the Radar when I asked).

Don't judge all of us by the example of a few.

PS, Ohio law does not require that you get to see the radar readout if you ask. I normally let the motorist see it unless it's a safety issue or the person acted like a turd to me.

Don't judge all of us by the example of a few.

PS, Ohio law does not require that you get to see the radar readout if you ask. I normally let the motorist see it unless it's a safety issue or the person acted like a turd to me.

Well until I actually come across one who doesn't Lie, is courteous and understanding, or does things for own personal reasons. e.g. RailRoad crossing gates/lights were malfunctioning on a major 4 lane highway. Traffic was starting to back up (no train in site) and people were turning around. Cop turns his lights on goes down and through the RR crossing. Instead of checking, and then maybe directing traffic turns his lights off and continues his merry way...

I see too much of cops doing what they should not be doing (taligating for no reason, not using a turn signal for 5-10 consecutive turns, stupid crap that they should be leading by example not encouraging.

Okay, then I can help you out.

I use my turn signals. I don't speed. I would rather give you a warning than a ticket.....but if you treat me with disrespect, you'll get the biggest ticket I can give. I will wait for a red light, my overheads are for emergencies or pulling someone over.

I am the field training officer at my department. I do not tolerate ANY exceptions to motor vehicle laws being violated by my officers. If I find out they got stopped for doing something stupid, I write them up. I will write a ticket to a fellow officer.....same as above though, if I am treated with respect, a warning is what I prefer.

You've obviously met a few "cops" in your time. Ask yourself this though, if you were driving with respect to the law and other motorist, you wouldn't have even been pulled over.

I'm not saying that I am perfect. I make my fair share of mistakes. I don't like it though when I try to be the best person I can be, and I get lumped into a pile because of the misconceptions of others. Cops are people too. We have the same emotional responses that you do. We react to situations like you do. We are trained to try to control it or else you wouldn't need court for a child molester because you'd need a coroner.

Also, above you posted about the RR Crossing. You don't know that he wasn't on a call and had to get there. What if he was on a call to a break-in at YOUR house. What if YOUR family was just in an accident. Then you'd be pissed off because he didn't get there in a timely manner. Do you have a radio in your car with his dispatcher voice on it?

There are always two sides. Your perceived one and the actual one. Before you start to think that all cops are lying, think about the other side.

Nobody wants a cop around until you need one. I hope your next interaction goes better for you.

Ride Safe!

There are always two sides. Your perceived one and the actual one. Before you start to think that all cops are lying, think about the other side.

I am not trying to start a fight but this statement alone is a big problem people have with cops. Unless you meant your side and their side.

Okay, then I can help you out.

I use my turn signals. I don't speed. I would rather give you a warning than a ticket.....but if you treat me with disrespect, you'll get the biggest ticket I can give. I will wait for a red light, my overheads are for emergencies or pulling someone over. Yes I see some that do this, but it is way to often that I see the opposite. When I see more of one way vs the other it does make it hard to look at them the correct way

I am the field training officer at my department. I do not tolerate ANY exceptions to motor vehicle laws being violated by my officers. If I find out they got stopped for doing something stupid, I write them up. I will write a ticket to a fellow officer.....same as above though, if I am treated with respect, a warning is what I prefer.

You've obviously met a few "cops" in your time. Ask yourself this though, if you were driving with respect to the law and other motorist, you wouldn't have even been pulled over. The time I asked to see the radar was because he said he clocked me over 8 mph more then I was resgistering at in my Pathfinder. I was on my way to work at 2 am registering 60 in a 55 (which is what I do mostly 5 over since most time any slower and you get tail gated honked at) (that I have never seen anyone pulled over for tailgating someone else)

I'm not saying that I am perfect. I make my fair share of mistakes. I don't like it though when I try to be the best person I can be, and I get lumped into a pile because of the misconceptions of others. Cops are people too. We have the same emotional responses that you do. We react to situations like you do. We are trained to try to control it or else you wouldn't need court for a child molester because you'd need a coroner. Yes Cops have it rough dealing with dangerous criminals and yes they have to patrol the roads ( I am not one who thinks they should be out catching real criminals), yes they are human and will make mistakes, if you take into account the Here Say one also gets you start to think that the majority is one way. If I actually break the law then fine I will pay, I don't run from the cops, but if I feel I did not break the law and then said officer lies to make accusation stick what am I supposed to think??????

Also, above you posted about the RR Crossing. You don't know that he wasn't on a call and had to get there. What if he was on a call to a break-in at YOUR house. What if YOUR family was just in an accident. Then you'd be pissed off because he didn't get there in a timely manner. Do you have a radio in your car with his dispatcher voice on it? If he was on a call he would have had his siren on, no just his lights and his lights would have stayed on after he crossed the malfuntioning RR crossing. He just turned them off and continued on his way.

Nobody wants a cop around until you need one. I hope your next interaction goes better for you.

Ride Safe!

I understood my ticket in KY coming back from Atl I was registering 94 in a 70 but I had went +2 on my rear sprocket and with Suzuki Factory error I figured I was at least 15 mph or more actual speed less. But he said he clocked me at 84 in a 70, then wrote 82 in a 70 on the ticket. After he handed me the ticket I said "I guess there is no such thing as warnings anymore" his response was not on labor day weekend. He could have seen that I was from OH in Lexington at 10 p.m. trying to get home. I wasn't weaving in traffic, wasn't tail gating, there wasn't anyone around me. I told him I had made a guess of what speed I was doing but since my sproket and Suzuki error I had no clue.

I am not trying to start a fight but this statement alone is a big problem people have with cops. Unless you meant your side and their side.

No, what I meant was Your = general public

and actual one = what was really going on in the cruiser.

He may have just decided to be a dick and bust the RR crossing. But we can't know that. I always try to give benefit of the doubt when dealing with an unknown issue. I actually train that to my rookies. When there is any doubt alway err on the side of the citizen.

What I was trying to do was to let you know that all cops aren't asshats. I am actually liked by people outside of the profession. That is rare. I didn't want to offend you, just let you know that there are actually some "good" guys out there who do the job for the right reasons.

You've just met one. :D

No, what I meant was Your = general public

and actual one = what was really going on in the cruiser.

He may have just decided to be a dick and bust the RR crossing. But we can't know that. I always try to give benefit of the doubt when dealing with an unknown issue. I actually train that to my rookies. When there is any doubt alway err on the side of the citizen.

What I was trying to do was to let you know that all cops aren't asshats. I am actually liked by people outside of the profession. That is rare. I didn't want to offend you, just let you know that there are actually some "good" guys out there who do the job for the right reasons.

You've just met one. :D

And if you were out in your cruiser and saw me riding and give a little wave I wave back. I don't just shun and act like cops aren't there. I am just at the point I don't trust them. If I meet one that proves that wrong great glad to meet one.

As I added on the other quote in Red about the RR crossing he turned is lights off and just continued on his way not going fast or anything. I forgot I was on my way home at lunch to let the dog out (live 8 miles from home) when I went back through same spot gates were still down and traffic was still backed up.

I understood my ticket coming back from Atl I was registering 94 in a 70 but I had went +2 on my rear sprocket and with Suzuki Factory error I figured I was at least 15 mph or more actual speed less.

Okay. You admit that you "normally" speed by five over. If your speedo is wrong by five.....guess what, you're doing 10 over. Why take that chance?

I won't tell you how many MPH over I give before a ticket is issued, but lets just say If I pull you over, you do deserve the ticket coming. I don't piss around with petty little 5 over tickets.

No, he doesn't have to have his lights on if he's going to a call. He may be going to something that doesn't require lights and sirens. I've done it myself. You think a cop is going to announce himself to a burglar that he's trying to catch in the act? Or a bank robber who still there with a gun on someone.

You see the same cops do the same things in the same area. Could it just be that that cop or the cops in that department are squirrels? No, you take a stance that all cops have to earn your respect. Okay. You go to the academy. Earn the right to wear a badge. Then go to a department and make a difference.

What's that...you don't want to spend the thousands of dollars it takes to buy the schooling. I'm sorry, you don't have the time to commit to changing your whole life around to meet the demands of the training?

What you don't want to get physically fit to pass a PT test that would make a Marine Sniper cry?

Oh, I see. You don't want to do what it takes to make things right. You just want to complain how unfair you've been treated cause you only broke the law a little bit.

For all that it's worth.....since I'm a cop and obviously a bad guy, Ride Safe !!

Okay. You admit that you "normally" speed by five over. If your speedo is wrong by five.....guess what, you're doing 10 over. Why take that chance?

I won't tell you how many MPH over I give before a ticket is issued, but lets just say If I pull you over, you do deserve the ticket coming. I don't piss around with petty little 5 over tickets.

No, he doesn't have to have his lights on if he's going to a call. He may be going to something that doesn't require lights and sirens. I've done it myself. You think a cop is going to announce himself to a burglar that he's trying to catch in the act? Or a bank robber who still there with a gun on someone.

You see the same cops do the same things in the same area. Could it just be that that cop or the cops in that department are squirrels? No, you take a stance that all cops have to earn your respect. Okay. You go to the academy. Earn the right to wear a badge. Then go to a department and make a difference.

What's that...you don't want to spend the thousands of dollars it takes to buy the schooling. I'm sorry, you don't have the time to commit to changing your whole life around to meet the demands of the training?

What you don't want to get physically fit to pass a PT test that would make a Marine Sniper cry?

Oh, I see. You don't want to do what it takes to make things right. You just want to complain how unfair you've been treated cause you only broke the law a little bit.

For all that it's worth.....since I'm a cop and obviously a bad guy, Ride Safe !!

Does it take a lot to be a cop, Yes, Financially, character, and ability.

However lets say your in the construction business and over 12 years every Plumber you've dealt with has either done shoddy work, charged you more then what should have, done half the work and told you all of it was done, takes twice as long to do simple jobs, etc.. How would your perception of Plumbers be? You also hear about these types of cases from all your competition contractors about Plumbers. You see the things they have done to other contractors.

Yes most people who end up meeting a cop are for the wrong reason, so they will have a negative outlook on the situation.

But it has taken 12 years for me to develop a distrust of officers over my few personal experiences, stories I have heard, and actions I have wintessed either to me or others on the road.

From what you say, you are what I wish most cops were like, if they are like this then it sure doesn't come off that way, but I fear that it isn't the case. We could go back and forth on this (and I don't consider this an argument it is a discussion) for days.

No I can't prove that the officer wasn't on a call, but if he was I sure hope it wasn't serious since he was taking his/her time.

wow things are getting a little heated...i think there's good cops and there's bad cops but there is also good bikers and bad bikers

No its not heat. We're just discussing different perspectives.

Every industry...and yes law enforcement is an industry, has it's share of "evil doers" to repeat a media phrase.

What you detected as "heat" was actually a "challenge". I became a cop so that I could make a difference. Stereotypes are bad. That is what I do. Break the mold so to speak. Break the stereotype. I am a Christian Minister that will cuss you out for doing something boneheaded. Sometimes that's the only way you get someones attention. I am a cop who will actually shed a tear with you. Because I am a human who has the same feelings that you do. I am a military officer that the troops under me don't hate. That's because I earned my rank and know what it's like to be an enlisted person. Treat them with the respect that you want returned.

I've worked hard in my life to make a difference. If you get a ticket from me, you earned it.

If you see something that is broken....fix it. If you see a cop doing something illegal, report it.

The best way to fix a broken system is to become part of that system. You will slowly make a difference. The officers that are my friends and co-workers know that I will not tolerate any deviation from the "book".....either of them. I will not tolerate being rude to the citizenry that we are sworn to protect. It's not easy.....from experience.....to be nice to a person that is trying to kill you.

Citizens only see the "outside" of what is going on. You (general public) only see glimpses of the inside world. No it's not COPS episodes. 95% of law enforcement is pure boredom. The other 5% is shear terror.

Become what you Hate and you can change it. Hate for hates sake serves no purpose.

That what my intention. Making someone think, rather than hate. Do you think Jesus was a mild mannered whimpy boy? No he's the one who toppled over the money lenders tables at the temple. He became what he hated to change the system. He became the church that was broken, so that the People could benefit.

Any of you out there willing to put your life on the line every day for people who hate you? Any of you want to make a difference instead of complain?

Local academy's are starting all the time.

Ride Safe!!

Does it take a lot to be a cop, Yes, Financially, character, and ability.

However lets say your in the construction business and over 12 years every Plumber you've dealt with has either done shoddy work, charged you more then what should have, done half the work and told you all of it was done, takes twice as long to do simple jobs, etc.. How would your perception of Plumbers be? You also hear about these types of cases from all your competition contractors about Plumbers. You see the things they have done to other contractors.

Yes most people who end up meeting a cop are for the wrong reason, so they will have a negative outlook on the situation.

But it has taken 12 years for me to develop a distrust of officers over my few personal experiences, stories I have heard, and actions I have wintessed either to me or others on the road.

From what you say, you are what I wish most cops were like, if they are like this then it sure doesn't come off that way, but I fear that it isn't the case. We could go back and forth on this (and I don't consider this an argument it is a discussion) for days.

No I can't prove that the officer wasn't on a call, but if he was I sure hope it wasn't serious since he was taking his/her time.

It's all good Chris. Just so long as you waive at me with all five fingers instead of just one.....:D

Read my previous post. Do you want to make a difference?

Then instead of saying Ride Safe, I'll be able to say "Be Safe" It's a cop thing.

No its not heat. We're just discussing different perspectives.

Every industry...and yes law enforcement is an industry, has it's share of "evil doers" to repeat a media phrase.

What you detected as "heat" was actually a "challenge". I became a cop so that I could make a difference. Stereotypes are bad. That is what I do. Break the mold so to speak. Break the stereotype. I am a Christian Minister that will cuss you out for doing something boneheaded. Sometimes that's the only way you get someones attention. I am a cop who will actually shed a tear with you. Because I am a human who has the same feelings that you do. I am a military officer that the troops under me don't hate. That's because I earned my rank and know what it's like to be an enlisted person. Treat them with the respect that you want returned.

I've worked hard in my life to make a difference. If you get a ticket from me, you earned it.

If you see something that is broken....fix it. If you see a cop doing something illegal, report it.

The best way to fix a broken system is to become part of that system. You will slowly make a difference. The officers that are my friends and co-workers know that I will not tolerate any deviation from the "book".....either of them. I will not tolerate being rude to the citizenry that we are sworn to protect. It's not easy.....from experience.....to be nice to a person that is trying to kill you.

Citizens only see the "outside" of what is going on. You (general public) only see glimpses of the inside world. No it's not COPS episodes. 95% of law enforcement is pure boredom. The other 5% is shear terror.

Become what you Hate and you can change it. Hate for hates sake serves no purpose.

That what my intention. Making someone think, rather than hate. Do you think Jesus was a mild mannered whimpy boy? No he's the one who toppled over the money lenders tables at the temple. He became what he hated to change the system. He became the church that was broken, so that the People could benefit.

Any of you out there willing to put your life on the line every day for people who hate you? Any of you want to make a difference instead of complain?

Local academy's are starting all the time.

Ride Safe!!

I know with my temper I don't have the personality to be an officer with all the truly disrespectful people you deal with. I can take a lot but once I snap it is generally big and that is not a good thing.

I have a friend guy that chats with a group on Gixxer.com who was going through the academy when he came into the group, and has thus been moved into a department. I think he can blow your 95% 5% out of the water :boxing: I would say he is more of a 70% bordeom 30% action down in Ft. Lauderdale if not more...

I don't think I ever grew into a hatrid of cops, but more of a Distrusting feeling from my experiences.

Be safe :cool:

I know with my temper I don't have the personality to be an officer with all the truly disrespectful people you deal with. I can take a lot but once I snap it is generally big and that is not a good thing.

I have a friend guy that chats with a group on Gixxer.com who was going through the academy when he came into the group, and has thus been moved into a department. I think he can blow your 95% 5% out of the water :boxing: I would say he is more of a 70% bordeom 30% action down in Ft. Lauderdale if not more...

I don't think I ever grew into a hatrid of cops, but more of a Distrusting feeling from my experiences.

Be safe :cool:

I met a road sergeant last time if Ft. Lauderdale at the Floridian Restaurant. Really nice guy. We chatted about some "war" stories. Needless to say, I was not real interested in moving down there.

Ultra Rich and Ultra Poor. The richies think they own you and the poor ones don't care any more. Scary place if you really think about it.

Gotta love the sun and beaches though.

this is why i dont trust cops

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=8320

plus cincy cops are dirtier than dirt

Read the thread. You DID have the proper endorsement to ride at night. The officer was mistaken. He was confusing a learners permit for an endorsement. Did he cite you for riding with no license? If so, you may be able to convince the judge to drop the whole thing....since he didn't even know the law. I've seen it happen.

Maybe he was confused when he read the radar unit too.

Do not go this one alone. Get an attorney who specializes in traffic law.

When was the last time the radars calibration was certified?

Does the officer have a certificate of training for that radar unit?

How long has he been an LEO?

Good luck. They will throw out the night riding charge, because it's not against the law. The speed, you're on your own with. You admit that you did it. Did you admit it to him when he pulled you over? If not, plead not guilty. At least make him have to prove the speed. His credibility will be pretty much hosed after the first one. Make sure that one comes up first so the judge has it fresh in his mind. You may still be found guilty and have to pay the fine with court costs. Ask yourself if it's worth the cash and points to fight it.

Ride safe and slow down.

. Ask yourself if it's worth the cash and points to fight it.

Yes! It's not the ticket that matters. It's the HUGE hike in insurance premium for 3 years. That's why I think most cops are assholes who give tickets to minor speeding infractions. 10 over...whoopie. 15 over, sure give a ticket. In a way the cop is stealing your wages for 3 years, therefore I'm not too fond of traffic police, unless they bust someone doing something really bad.

Yes! It's not the ticket that matters. It's the HUGE hike in insurance premium for 3 years. That's why I think most cops are assholes who give tickets to minor speeding infractions. 10 over...whoopie. 15 over, sure give a ticket. In a way the cop is stealing your wages for 3 years, therefore I'm not too fond of traffic police, unless they bust someone doing something really bad.

Nick, that has got to be the most asinine thing I've read on here. If you don't want a ticket, go the speed limit. Why give the cop the opportunity to "steal" from you as you put it. You don't like cops, that's okay. But don't try to make it sound like we're out there preying on the innocents. I don't give tickets for 10 over. I give warnings. You go over that, you get what you should. It's not the cop who made you twist the throttle and build up speed. That would be you.

The reason speed limits are in place is because of people being hurt or killed because of excessive speed. Simple as that. Not a Government Conspiracy to "steal" your hard earned wages from you.....that's what taxes are for.

You live on a nice quiet street with children playing outside. The speed limit is 25. You're the first person to bitch because someone comes flying low endangering your kids. Then you go out and do it in someone elses neighborhood. Hypocrite. (dramatization)

Come through my town on your super fast bike and go over the speed limit, acting like a fool and I'll show you just how much a cop can "steal" from you.

Be sure to say you're Nick from Ohio-Riders so I know not to "steal" someone elses Ninja and impound it for 30 days or so.

Jerk.

damn this thread is funny. Talk about stereotyping.

I've known way more "good cops" than "bad cops" and I've known a ton.

It's funny to see a few people that belong to a group (sportbike riders) doing the same thing they typically hate having done to them.

Nick, that has got to be the most asinine thing I've read on here. If you don't want a ticket, go the speed limit. Why give the cop the opportunity to "steal" from you as you put it. You don't like cops, that's okay. But don't try to make it sound like we're out there preying on the innocents. I don't give tickets for 10 over. I give warnings. You go over that, you get what you should. It's not the cop who made you twist the throttle and build up speed. That would be you.

The reason speed limits are in place is because of people being hurt or killed because of excessive speed. Simple as that. Not a Government Conspiracy to "steal" your hard earned wages from you.....that's what taxes are for.

You live on a nice quiet street with children playing outside. The speed limit is 25. You're the first person to bitch because someone comes flying low endangering your kids. Then you go out and do it in someone elses neighborhood. Hypocrite. (dramatization)

Come through my town on your super fast bike and go over the speed limit, acting like a fool and I'll show you just how much a cop can "steal" from you.

Be sure to say you're Nick from Ohio-Riders so I know not to "steal" someone elses Ninja and impound it for 30 days or so.

Jerk.

1- Never said I don't like cops. You're putting words on my finger tips. Shame on you. ;)

2- There is this asshole that flies about 60mph in my 25mph neighborhood all the time. It pisses me off! Those are the most dangerous places to speed. Those should be patrolled much more, because of children outside.

3- You won't catch me in town acting like a fool. Plus I've only had tickets in my cars. So much for the me doing wrong on my bike in "your" town. I wish I owned my own town. I bet that was a very expensive purchase for you. Damn. :eek:

4- Your last statement tells me your an asshole. Don't you threaten me you fucking prick.:rolleyes::bigfinger: You hide behind your badge like a coward. You making that statement shows me that. ;) Your holier than thou attitude makes me fucking sick. :puke:

5- You're a hypocrite. Enforcing laws that you break yourself. What a great individual you are.:rolleyes:

1- Never said I don't like cops. You're putting words on my finger tips. Shame on you. ;)

2- There is this asshole that flies about 60mph in my 25mph neighborhood all the time. It pisses me off! Those are the most dangerous places to speed. Those should be patrolled much more, because of children outside.

3- You won't catch me in town acting like a fool. Plus I've only had tickets in my cars. So much for the me doing wrong on my bike in "your" town. I wish I owned my own town. I bet that was a very expensive purchase for you. Damn. :eek:

4- Your last statement tells me your an asshole. Don't you threaten me you fucking prick.:rolleyes::bigfinger: You hide behind your badge like a coward. You making that statement shows me that. ;) Your holier than thou attitude makes me fucking sick. :puke:

5- You're a hypocrite. Enforcing laws that you break yourself. What a great individual you are.:rolleyes:

Nick, you are a great example of why cops target bikers. I do not hide behind a badge.....it's far too small. However, I do know how to handle myself in "difficult" situations. Hey, don't forget. I am a cop, so therefore in the opinion of several forum members am an asshole by definition. I mean who would want to enforce laws that are in place for a reason, except an asshole? You my friend are on a straight trip. The trip has only one destination. Speed kills. Plain and simple. I do not speed. I do not break the laws that I enforce because I know that they are there for a reason.

Oh, and I don't threaten people.....little boy. When you grow up, you can come play with the big kids. Until then stay on your porch. Do you honestly think that you are even a remote concern to me? Go ahead. Do a buck and change on the freeway and I'll visit you with your new friend Bubba. I hear he's looking for a new bitch.

+1 or maybe more. All the cops I have met have an Inferiority complex.I have friends that are cops and I tell them the same thing. They agree!

Yeah, no doubt. If he didn't hide behind his badge because of his power trip he wouldn't have said:

:puke: What a jackass. :nono: