Lane splitting: Not addressed in codes or statutes?

Mc_spirited

I have this book by Bill Murphy titled "Motorcycling Across Ohio" It has routes and interesting places to stop and visit. In the back of the book it lists "Handy websites", Emergency phone numbers, and some Ohio motorcycling regulations. An interesting note is, just as the title says that lane splitting is not addressed in Ohio's codes or statutes. Now, I know that lane splitting can be dangerous in certain situations, and I don't want this to turn into a thread about opinions of why it should or should not be legal.

I believe in states where it is accepted (California and from what I hear Maryland), it is not legal to lane split, but in fact it is not addressed as legal or illegal. What I want to know is what this guy says true? Because from what I understand if they do not say it is illegal, than you cant really legally be cited for it (as long as it is done safely I assume).

I know that if you do it dangerously than they could ticket, or if the cop just has a hardon for bikers than it doesn't matter what the laws say. People get ticketed for things they shouldn't all the time, and just take the hit. Cops don't expect people to fight it.

Does anyone know if this is in fact true? Has anyone lane split in a situation (traffic jam, or still traffic) within view of a cop and not had it be an issue? Is anyone a LEO who has an opinion of it? You will not see me weaving and splitting down 77 or 480, but I would like to know that I can pass a few cars at a stoplight to make a right turn, or something of that nature without being worried about legality.

On a side note, this book seems to be well written and would reccomend it to riders looking for nice scenic rides.

I have not read up on it at all. The only time I would want to is in the event of a accident or total stoppage of the freeway, or being at a light and not wanting to wait for it to turn. When there is ample space and clean pavement to pass a few cars on the right side to turn. I am curious to see if there are any LEO's that could give a opinion or others who may have knowledge.

Sometimes I filter to the front at lights when I'm feeling impatient. Less likely to get rear ended at the front and you can shoot ahead of all the slow cages when the light changes... I've never had any problems, but I don't do it that often. :confused: Don't know if its legal or not..

I believe you can be ticked for it, as two vehicles can't share the same lane. The only state where you can do it is Cali, and the cops will give you a ticket if they think you're doing it in an unsafe manner.

It's legal in some places because it reduces traffic, BIG TIME. They were going to do it one time in Austrailia and the bikers showed them how much of a traffic jam it would cause if they weren't able to do it. Ofcourse after they proved their point they didn't pass the law making it illegal. They realized the importance of it. Just because you have to wait in line because you're in a huge 4 wheel vehicle doesn't mean everyone else that can get through has to. Most people believe in the rediculous way of "If I can't do it, you can't either, "If I have to do it, well then you're doing it too" thinking. Which is selfish and ignorant. Why should others have to wait and suffer with you if they don't have to. Share the road and don't be selfish. Get a bike if you want to be able to do it too. It should be legal. The legal splitting is low speed, like 10-20mph I think too, so it's not dangerous.

It's legal in the UK. It's cool, because even on a 2 lane road, you hear/see a bike coming up behind you, they're gonna pass you and most of the drivers move over to let them pass. It's just what you do.

I've ridden in the UK many times and it kinda freaks you out when it first happens.

Coming up on a car on a two lane road, the car will slide to the left and the oncoming cars will also slide over a bit. Makes a perfect lane up the middle.

If you have a minute, checkout his video we shot from the bikes last year, you'll see what I mean;

excellent example at the 3:07 mark.

I think most states, Ohio included, don't specifically have laws against lane splitting, but they do have lane control laws that would earn you a ticket if you were to split.

Anyone here know a cop that they can ask?

This one has been done to death in Somethingawful's automotive forum, the US is pretty much an anal retentive whiner when it comes to lane splitting when compaired to other countries.

Look at Mordeth13's vids on youtube in Taiwan, it's standard operating procedure for everything on two wheels to lane split, 10 or more cycles and scooters all flowing to the front of the line. It's awesome and less dangerous for us since we wouldn't have to contend with the idiot on the cell slowing down to stop and shoving us into the car we're behind.

I think a lot of the resistance to it comes down to the way we view motorcycles here in the US. In most every other country it's viewed as a valid form of transportation, just another vehicle. Here in the US riding is viewed as a passtime and "why should that guy only out having fun get to go ahead of me on my way to work".

Or maybe it's a case of "If I can't have it, you can't either"

Mini rant over.

i found on DmV.org this

Lane Splitting

Although lane splitting (the act of moving between cars to the front of traffic) sparks all types of ire from motorists, it is legal in many states. And considering motorcycles are extremely vulnerable on the road, it is not a bad idea to get in the clear.

That is what the tactic is designed to do in the first place―remove obstacles from riders, not get them to a place any quicker than one of their four-wheeled brethren. Of course, you will want to use extra caution moving to the front of the pack.

The best thing you can possibly do to improve your traffic skills is to sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They offer classes in each state for both the novice and experienced rider.

It didnt say what states were legal though. I was searching under ohio though. Will keep looking!

the only bad thing about filtering to the front of the pack is that you are vunerable to a T bone when you leave the light. I like to leave a interesection slowly and to make sure nobody runs it. If I went to the front I would want to take off to get away from the drivers.

the only bad thing about filtering to the front of the pack is that you are vunerable to a T bone when you leave the light. I like to leave a interesection slowly and to make sure nobody runs it. If I went to the front I would want to take off to get away from the drivers.

+1

I am mad cautious around intersections.

To the best of my memory, the reason Cali iis allowed is because they have so many bike cops that did it and we (bikers) said "if they can why can't we?" or something close to that.

Now Ohio is gettin a lot of motos, maybe we should do some bitchin.

It's legal in the UK. It's cool, because even on a 2 lane road, you hear/see a bike coming up behind you, they're gonna pass you and most of the drivers move over to let them pass. It's just what you do.

It is like that in South Africa too, and man was it nice. Not only do you move through traffic faster, but seeing people move over for you makes you realize that they are looking for bikes 20 times more then US drivers..

I asked my buddy (who is a cop) about this yesterday and he said most likely you would get a ticket for following too closely or reckless op depending on the cop

If it is legal then this i why it will never be truly legal... Cops not knowing it or just saying tough you get a ticket...

Yes I have a bad outlook on cops after a few incidents (cop lying on the stand, HWP refusing to show me the Radar when I asked).

Ohio doesn't have a "lane-splitting" law per se, but it does state that a motor vehicle must occupy one lane. A motorcycle being a "motor vehicle" would only be permitted to occupy one lane. Lane splitting, by definition would mean that you are either occupying two lanes, or no lane, depending on your point of view. The only exception that I could find was that two motorcycles may occupy the same lane "Riding abreast" but not three.

I tend to want to help fellow bikers rather than mess with them, but I have ticketed a few who decided that they were stunt riders. The all encompassing reckless operation of a motor vehicle law is a catch all and adds 4 points to your license and a lot of cash taken from your wallet. Judges aren't impressed with a bikers skill, only that he's a biker.

Ride safe, cage drivers don't see us.....or don't care.