Current V-4 engines, 600cc - 800cc ???

JackFlash

The only currently manufactured v4 mills I know of are the honda st1300....unless they still produce the magna. Aprillia made a v4 for a while, as did Yamaha and Suzuki...come to think about it Yamaha started making vmax again, but that's a 1200. Suzuki had the madura and honda had the saber, interceptor and magna in sizes from 500 to 1100. Vfr800 is a superb piece of engineering, great power, handling and comfort. I would trade my tl1000 for one in a heartbeat.

Are there any currently manufactured V-4 motorcycles in the 600cc to 800cc range that are common in the US? If so, generally what style of bike and/or type of riding would these engines be most suited for?

Triple is better. ;)

Vfr - it can do everything except off roading

I stopped at John Hinderer Honda, on the way home from work, just for you, Doc. I sat on one of those Viffers, a 1200 it was. That's a lot of motorcycle for a new rider like me. I don't think it's my style with the leaning forward on the arms, plus it was a little tall and would have to be lowered for me to get both feet flat on the floor.

...come to think about it Yamaha started making vmax again, but that's a 1200.

They had a used Vmax. I sat on it just for fun. It looked like a speeding ticket waiting to happen. A bike like that would surely shorten my life.

Suzuki had the madura and honda had the saber, interceptor...

They also had a used interceptor, an '09 I believe, for around $8k. It's 800cc V4 would be right up my alley in a Sport Touring style of bike. It sat like the VFR and I wouldn't be comfortable on it for long.

I'll read up on the Magna and the Royal Star, and a Triple is still in the running. I was actually surprised to discover the Triumph Sprint is a triple. I was expecting it to be a four banger.

A VFR 800? I'm assuming it sits like the 1200. I'd like to cross paths with one just to check it out.

Ducati? Aprilia? I think we're talking $$$ I don't have.

The short answer is no, no 600-800 V4s available in the U.S. currently manufactured.

Longer answer. Why not? A V4 is a little more expensive to build than an in-line four, and price point is typically a concern with mid-size motorcycles. Not enough buyers are willing to pay more for a V4 over an inline 4 in that category. The VFR750 and VFR800 were the last ones, but they were expensive compared to other bikes of the same size. Honda eventually relented and repositioned that model as a larger bike.

Given your criteria, Jack, I'm not sure you want a V4 anyway.

A V4 is a little more expensive to build than an in-line four, and price point is typically a concern with mid-size motorcycles. Not enough buyers are willing to pay more for a V4 over an inline 4 in that category. The VFR750 and VFR800 were the last ones, but they were expensive compared to other bikes of the same size. Honda eventually relented and repositioned that model as a larger bike.

I was suspecting manufacturing costs to be a major factor in why we don't see V4's in smaller motorcycles.

Given your criteria, Jack, I'm not sure you want a V4 anyway.

Well, I'm not wanting one in the sizes that are currently being offered. I just couldn't help but wonder if they were available in the size of bike I feel would be the most logical for me to consider next. I was seeing the V4 as a happy medium between a twin and an inline 4, more torque than one, in the bottom end, and more horsepower than the other, in the top end, for an equal number of cc's.

And then, there's the Triple...

I'm all up for advice and guidance. I'm still trying to discover what is available out there that I'll be happy with, for the money I'll be willing to spend.

Well, I've ridden somewhere north of 100 different motorcycles over the years. Singles, V-twins, boxer twins, parallel twins, triples, inline fours, a V4, and a flat-six. (Still looking for a five-cylinder to try... :D ). I have found no sweeter engine than the 675cc triple in my Triumph Daytona (also available in the Street Triple, which matches your preference for upright ergonomics). But that's the same power level as the 600cc four-cylinder sportbikes, which seems to be more than you want.

Gold_Triumph_Daytona_675_with_rider_pan_shot.jpg&sa=X&ei=ASOwUOWfAo-k8QS9m4DgCQ&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Qg&usg=AFQjCNGvXjcPtT-_ZcMRnogLm8we5EB9wA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gold_Triumph_Daytona_675_with_rider_pan_shot.jpg

I have found no sweeter engine than the 675cc triple in my Triumph Daytona...

I sit here and open the 2012 Triumph Motorcycle brochure that I picked up from Motohio last week. Under the heading of SUPERSPORTS is the Daytona 675 and the Daytona 675R.

I like the look of those bikes. It's the forward leaning posture as shown in the photo above that I would find uncomfortable after an hour in the saddle.

...also available in the Street Triple, which matches your preference for upright ergonomics.

Triumph%20Street%20Triple%20portada.jpg

http://www.portalmotos.com/revista/pruebas-de-motos/triumph-street-triple-test-portalmotos/5397.html

Ahhh yes! And much easier on my arms. I just wish that there were some fairing to keep the wind off. I suppose I got a little spoiled in that my current bike offers a more upright riding position, and fairing to boot.

2008-Suzuki-GS500F-Motorcycle-Test-Stermer-011-300x229.jpg

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2008-motorcycle-fuel-economy-motorcycle-comparison.htm/attachment/2008-suzuki-gs500f-motorcycle-test-stermer-01

If the VFR is too forward leaning for you and too powerful it sounds like you should just save your money and stick with your current bike. Instead of starting a bunch of threads asking questions you've already got the answers for.

Gold_Triumph_Daytona_675_with_rider_pan_shot.jpg&sa=X&ei=ASOwUOWfAo-k8QS9m4DgCQ&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Qg&usg=AFQjCNGvXjcPtT-_ZcMRnogLm8we5EB9wA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gold_Triumph_Daytona_675_with_rider_pan_shot.jpg

I sit here and open the 2012 Triumph Motorcycle brochure that I picked up from Motohio last week. Under the heading of SUPERSPORTS is the Daytona 675 and the Daytona 675R.

I like the look of those bikes. It's the forward leaning posture as shown in the photo above that I would find uncomfortable after an hour in the saddle.

Triumph%20Street%20Triple%20portada.jpg

http://www.portalmotos.com/revista/pruebas-de-motos/triumph-street-triple-test-portalmotos/5397.html

Ahhh yes! And much easier on my arms. I just wish that there were some fairing to keep the wind off. I suppose I got a little spoiled in that my current bike offers a more upright riding position, and fairing to boot.

2008-Suzuki-GS500F-Motorcycle-Test-Stermer-011-300x229.jpg

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2008-motorcycle-fuel-economy-motorcycle-comparison.htm/attachment/2008-suzuki-gs500f-motorcycle-test-stermer-01

Build some core muscles and learn how to sit on a bike so your weight isn't on your wrists.

I stopped at John Hinderer Honda, on the way home from work, just for you, Doc. I sat on one of those Viffers, a 1200 it was. That's a lot of motorcycle for a new rider like me. I don't think it's my style with the leaning forward on the arms, plus it was a little tall and would have to be lowered for me to get both feet flat on the floor.

They had a used Vmax. I sat on it just for fun. It looked like a speeding ticket waiting to happen. A bike like that would surely shorten my life.

They also had a used interceptor, an '09 I believe, for around $8k. It's 800cc V4 would be right up my alley in a Sport Touring style of bike. It sat like the VFR and I wouldn't be comfortable on it for long.

I'll read up on the Magna and the Royal Star, and a Triple is still in the running. I was actually surprised to discover the Triumph Sprint is a triple. I was expecting it to be a four banger.

A VFR 800? I'm assuming it sits like the 1200. I'd like to cross paths with one just to check it out.

Ducati? Aprilia? I think we're talking $$$ I don't have.

Vfr 800 = interceptor

Just an FYI Rides did a spread on Honda's new NC700X its a parallel-twin. I know you had mentioned a V4 but look at his one. I was actually thinking about getting one here in addition to the CBR600. Plus you can't beat that starting price around $7,000 Here's some links:

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2012-honda-nc700x-dct-abs-road-test.htm

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2012-honda-nc700x-first-look.htm

You should look into a magna if you want a comfy v4 with lots of power. My dad has an 84 700 magna, comfy enough to ride all day and will smoke most other cruisers but with a silky smooth shaft-driven power delivery. The later generations have improved looks and engine design.

The VFR is THE sport-touring bike...

Unless you have a very practiced wrench hand you might grow to hate old Magna/Sabre ownership.

The parts availability for those older bikes is not very reliable, because Honda made frequent changes to the lineup. Especially in terms of electronics. It was my experience that they'd only make a certain wiring harness for like, 3 years. After that you're out of luck.

You should look into a magna if you want a comfy v4 with lots of power. My dad has an 84 700 magna, comfy enough to ride all day and will smoke most other cruisers but with a silky smooth shaft-driven power delivery. The later generations have improved looks and engine design.

I really like the look of the Super Magna... 86-87...

1988_honda_vf750c_super_magna_17854983.jpg

broch_1.jpg

RSM_01.jpg

hhnnnggghhh

The VFR is THE sport-touring bike...

I've been reading up on the VFR 800. You are right. It was the mid-sized sport touring bike that set the standard for the others, I suppose.

The one I saw had handlebars that were pretty low as compared to the ST 1300, Connie 14, FJR. I don't know what it was like fresh out of the box since it was used.

I suppose I could get handlebar risers and lowered foot pegs to make it sit closer to what I want. I'm still learning these things.

Hear that Doc? I'm reading about the VFR. Doc? Are you listening? :D

I'll also read about all the other bikes that have been suggested to me. You guys are full of great information. Coming here is like opening an encylopedia on motorcycles. I really appreciate everyone's input.

The bike search conversation should probably go back over here >> http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=99911&page=5

I think bikes with a more upright seating position make the best sportbikes. A wide bar for comfort and ease of input. The VFR above is sweet. Roamr has a SV1000S that has an LSL conversion on it. Plenty of engine. Plenty of all day comfort. The Bandit is also a solid option' date=' as are the FZ1/6 platforms. Honestly, an FZ6 is probably right up your alley. ~100hp, quick but not unmanageable, and extremely low maintenance. My 2004 had a 24,000 mile valve service schedule.

This............and I really doubt you would be disappointed. I would have 1 in my garage in a heartbeat, of course to add to the collection.