which moto gp event to go to?

cOoTeR

I live 15hrs from laguna seca and 13 from circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas. I haven't priced tickets to laguna yet. Circuit of the Americas is $133 for all three days for reserved seats and 89 for gen admission. Not too bad. Also my mother lives 1.5 hours from the track so lodging would be covered. I'd like to go to laguna because its laguna and they may also run the AMA races also if I recall right. If there are meet and great opportunities that may be the better bang for the buck. Although on tv I think the smaller gp classes are more entertaining to watch than AMA. This will also be the first race in Texas for GP. It could be a really good race but it could also be a flop (doubtful). I may try both but I think between money and vacation time only one will be do able this year.

Given the situation above which would you choose and why?

My father-in-law went to the inaugural F1 race at CoA. Having been to the inaugural F1 race in China at the Shanghai Circuit I have a good idea of the experience he had there but I wouldn't mind going to either a GP or F1 race. I'd pass on Laguna.

I've never been to a gp race. Do they have the opportunity to meet some riders and stuff like they do at mid-ohio? I'd like to get my sons pictures with some cool stuff like that. He'll only be 9 months but I took him to a track day and he loved it. But that wasn't crowded.

I can't speak from experience but highly guessing that GP/F1 is NOTHING like Mid O and AMA, I know Indy Car when it ran there wasn't even like the AMA guys are.

I would say if you did all 3 days you may have a "chance" for GP/F1 run ins, but definitely wouldn't count on it. Think of NAscar and all the complaining people have about their drivers and lack of autographs, except add in a Euro twist...

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to COTA. The track got rave reviews in its debut with a F1 race. Laguna is classic, but getting in and out of the track can be a hassle and staying in the area can be expensive. Also, and this is just personal preference, I prefer to see the regular MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 card instead of MotoGP and AMA. I'll go to a standalone AMA race later.

The only way I'd choose Laguna over COTA is if you're really into the stuff beyond the track. In that case, hanging out in Monterrey and riding the coast would probably be better than whatever's going on in Austin, since it will be the first year.

Really all just a matter of personal opinion, though.

Laguna is a shithole - great track, but the facilities are some of the worst I've seen at an international race. Not many food vendors, port-o-lets are few and far between, sitting the dirt and not a lot of shade to shield you from the sun.

I sat in the parking area one year after the MotoGP for 4 hours and didn't move a foot. It's a one lane road in and out of the place. We did the shuttle bus thing the following year, which was slightly better, but still took forever to get outta the place.

After going to three races there over the years, I'd never go back.

i cant wait to see motogp at the circuit of the americas. seen 'em twice at indy, havent made it to laguna seca yet. the facilites at indy are kind of primitive, but it is a very efficiently run weekend. no waiting in traffic, plenty of shade to find, and the sound of the bikes down the front straight is unbelievable from the main grandstands.

COTA. There is a lot more thought laid out towards the fans. Laguna as Ear stated is a shithole and bottom line - THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY IN AND ONE WAY OUT. Think about that for a minute. The number of people attending. They come in fine enough as they stream in the days of the event. You can come early, come late. BUT, leaving... MURDER!!!