Think you can choose who gets your money when you go to the grocery store?

Casper

The peripheral choices are still choices, even if they're under the umbrella of a larger ownership. And, these are only the big store brands. Everywhere I go, even Walmart, there are other options besides these, alternative brands, etc.

Or, you can go to niche markets, pay through the nose and completely escape The Man and his conformist food brands.

It's also worth noting that many of those smaller brands might not even exist if they had been left to their own ability to compete. Being bought or consolidating brands offers the wider distribution and cost-control that a larger corporation brings them.

Generic store brands come from the same places that all other food is produced.

Say it's a canning factory canning green beans that day. At the end of the day of canning for a major name brand, they simply continue with new labels/cans for the little guys. In one way it's leftovers, in another way it's the identical merchandise at a lower price.

Generic store brands come from the same places that all other food is produced.

Say it's a canning factory canning green beans that day. At the end of the day of canning for a major name brand, they simply continue with new labels/cans for the little guys. In one way it's leftovers, in another way it's the identical merchandise at a lower price.

That's how I look at buying store brands. Nothing wrong with them at least most of them anyway.

That's what I was thinking. Is it just the big, evil corporation mentality? What I would like to know is who makes the generic store brands.
Most are still made by the larger manufacturers. For example, Millville - found in Aldi's - is General Mills. There are tons of private label stuff out there, but at the end of the day, only so many folks are really making stuff out there with FDA approval.