Am I the only one who thinks 750cc is just right?

motociclista

that post is false. they have an fz8 at competition accessories in Springfield

The Yamaha FZ8 is a naked bike and yes, it is available here now. I sat on one in Hebron at the Yamaha dealer and it fit me just right.

The FAZER8 is the same bike with a bikini fairing. I don't know it to be available in the US at this time though it is sold in Canada.

If you know something that I don't then please let me know. I would love to have one with full fairing.

The Yamaha FZ8 is a naked bike and yes, it is available here now. I sat on one in Hebron at the Yamaha dealer and it fit me just right.

The FAZER8 is the same bike with a bikini fairing. I don't know it to be available in the US at this time though it is sold in Canada.

If you know something that I don't then please let me know. I would love to have one with full fairing.

I mentioned the FZ6R, very similar to the Fazer8 IMHO.:cool:

675's

Daytona for the track, Street Triple for...the street.

That's gonna be my garage come springtime. Love these engines, I really think the 3 cylinder is the best combo of torque and high end. Pretty much fits the bill of this 750 for the street you're wanting.

Edited by TRMN8TR

675's

Daytona for the track, Street Triple for...the street.

That's gonna be my garage come springtime. Love these engines, I really think the 3 cylinder is the best combo of torque and high end. Pretty much fits the bill of this 750 for the street you're wanting.

I totally agree with you about the 675 triple. It's just about my all-time favorite engine and I love my Daytona for the track or for sporty street rides.

Trouble with the Street Triple is the same problem as my Speed Triple. Out on multi-day trips, the lack of wind protection and the difficulty of attaching luggage become drawbacks, at least to me. I suppose it would be possible to put some wind protection on the Streetie, but the result would probably be an abomination, aesthetically.

A 750cc bike is kind of like a 16 gauge shotgun. It has become all but obsolete because the 12 gauge and 20 gauge cover it all. Same as a 600 cc and 1000 cc.

Having said that, I think the 16 gauge is a great shotgun and it is my preferred hunting size. Not too big, not too small...

I think the Triumph Street Triple may be the best all around street bike I have ever ridden. The 675 is like yesterday's 750...

• Upvote 1

IMO, the problem is pretty straightforward: The people who are willing to toss an extra $1000 or so to bump up from a 600cc to a 750cc are probably willing to toss another $1000 or so to bump up to 1000cc and the people who aren't willing to splurge on the 1000cc are probably not gonna spend the extra cash for a 750cc over the 600cc.

It's kinda like looking at Ducati's Monster lineup:

Monster 696 - 80hp, $9,295

Monster 796 - 87hp, $10,495 (+$1,200)

Monster 1100 - 100hp, 11,995 (+$1,500)

If you got around $10k to spend on a bike, why pay the extra $1,200 for just 7 more ponies when for $2,700 you get 20 more ponies, ABS, and traction control? IMO, the 796 just doesn't make any sense. Either save the cash or splurge a bit.

an extra $600 when I am spending $11599 seems like a reasonable amount. Its an extra 2k to step up to a liter bike. The 750 seems to hold its value quite a bit more as well. However they all seem over priced compared to 7 or so years ago.

The argument above is probably the manufacturers argument.

Like I stated in my blog post, it's not that I need a 750, it's just that I find it interesting that the one size of motorcycle that every manufacturer (except Harley-Davidson) used to make is now the size nobody makes.

As far as sportbikes go, 600/1000 has pretty much been dictated by racing regs since 2003, and any other I4s are probably based off of those. The two decades before that, superbike was 750.

I know I don't need all the power but I want it. It's a blast to roll into all that power. I love running up the mountain roads here in first and second gear at about 75-80mph getting on the gas and feeling it pull away.

Agreed! :D

As far as sportbikes go, 600/1000 has pretty much been dictated by racing regs since 2003, and any other I4s are probably based off of those. The two decades before that, superbike was 750.

I agree with your assessment, but it strikes me as silly that we allow completely arbitrary displacement restrictions for racing dictate the size of street bikes.

I understand that you have to create classes for racing, and maintain some consistency from year to year to build a series. But for street riding, that makes no sense at all.

In fact, I think it really stands to hurt the street scene. Look where it has brought us? Race replicas sell, but they're not good street bikes. Because American consumers are stupid in that regard. Honda ought to be selling out of VFR's with the repsol paint scheme, and the 600RR should really be a fringe model that only people who intend to race them buy... Obviously that's not how things go.

So I agree with teh OP that a slightly larger displacement I-4, or really a big twin would be the perfect street bike, but that's unfortunately not what consumers demand.

It's true that to a certain extent racing rules determine the streetbikes available, but I would argue that the manufacturers wanting to show off their 1000s was the reason superbikes went from 750cc to 1000cc, not that manufacturers made 1000s in response to the rule change.

In any case, I was setting aside sportbikes and talking about non-race-replica streetbikes.

Race replicas sell, but they're not good street bikes.

Actually, the race replicas don't even sell very well any more. Kawasaki sells as many Ninja 250s as it does ZX-6Rs and ZX-10Rs combined.

Maybe that's why Honda is suddenly coming out with affordable and user-friendly bikes such as the CBR250 and its new line of 500s.

I really liked my Kawi Z750S around town, kinda buzzy though. IMO for around town/backroad riding I think the V-Twin and P-Twin 650's are about perfect. SV650, Ninja 650, Versys, Wee Strom, etc. Those new CBR 500's look like they would be a fun bike as well.

Edited by drew95gt

I really liked my Kawi Z750S around town, kinda buzzy though. IMO for around town/backroad riding I think the V-Twin and P-Twin 650's are about perfect. SV650, Ninja 650, Versys, Wee Strom, etc. Those new CBR 500's look like they would be a fun bike as well.

the 650R really nails riding position for most of us. I remember reading about it when it was new, and the Kawasaki website talking about how they designed the bike around the rider. Having sat on them at MC shows, I actually believe them.

Great all-around bike that is approachable for novices, but big enough that you could keep it forever too.

The suspension is budget, but not bad. Much nicer than you would have gotten on a "beginner" bike 10 years ago. I would personally like a big more power, but 62ish is nothing to be ashamed of. If they bored out the 650 and made a ninja 800R with 80 horsepower and a nice fat torque curve, I'd be all over that...

Actually, the race replicas don't even sell very well any more. Kawasaki sells as many Ninja 250s as it does ZX-6Rs and ZX-10Rs combined.

Maybe that's why Honda is suddenly coming out with affordable and user-friendly bikes such as the CBR250 and its new line of 500s.

agree 100%

i would even venture to say... give it a few years and we'll see a growth in mid class since there seems to be a gap from beginner bike to supersport (as far as standard/sport bikes are concerned)

v-twin is the answer to the OP in my opinion. nothing rides like a vtwin, and i greatly prefer one to anything inline for street use. the only drawback i have to a vtwin is my fear of short engine life (from both heat concerns, which isn't a relevent arguement on a liquid cooled engine, and high performance twins are further stretched out than more piston counterparts.) although, i do have a harley powered buell and it is just below 30k miles... which is contradictary to my point... but i still have a fear. i've heard of 200k inline 4's that have never been rebuilt, but never heard of a 200k vtwin that has never been rebuilt

the 650R really nails riding position for most of us. I remember reading about it when it was new, and the Kawasaki website talking about how they designed the bike around the rider. Having sat on them at MC shows, I actually believe them.

Great all-around bike that is approachable for novices, but big enough that you could keep it forever too.

The suspension is budget, but not bad. Much nicer than you would have gotten on a "beginner" bike 10 years ago. I would personally like a big more power, but 62ish is nothing to be ashamed of. If they bored out the 650 and made a ninja 800R with 80 horsepower and a nice fat torque curve, I'd be all over that...

i have never really felt anything toward the 650r. i believe the sv650 is a much better bike even though its design is so old. i wish they'd re-vamp the sv650. give it decent brakes and suspension. 75-80hp broad torque curve small bore vtwin thats light and flickable with a comfortable riding position? sounds like competition for the high brow manufacturers (duc, trumpet, aprilia)although, they would have to tac onto the pricetag doing those sort of renovations.

When the NC700X show up on the used market in quantity, they will most likely be the best value around. On the 750cc question, the CB1100 offered as a 750 would be awesome if they could bring the weight down to something proportionate.