Transient Check Engine Light?

smashweights

So I got no help on the Ducati forums so I'll toss this one to you all:

Went out for an hour joyride Sat and two separate times during low speed riding, once turning around in a parking lot and again going slowly through a neighborhood, my check engine light came on. Both times I'd say I was doing 20-25 in 2nd gear. Was on for about 10 seconds, then went out. Any reason for concern? I know I'm probably just being a bit paranoid, but it's my first Duc! That and IP welcomed me to the brotherhood of roadside mechanics... :eek:

On a more serious note, I did some light reading of the intermittent check engine light. Nobody seems to know what does it, and the "error" screen apparently never shows anything. Assuming there's no hiccup, no power loss, and nothing funny like excessive fuel consumption, just don't worry about it?

"Yes, we have experienced this during product development and in normal use. The occasional check engine light is most likely due to excess carbon build up on the O2 Sensor. Only a very small percentage of bikes (including mine) have exhibited this side effect when the variable trimmer is set towards the richer side. Each individual bike is somewhat different due to normal manufacture's and part suppliers tolerances. The carbon build happens after extended periods of idling or after extended periods of cruising. It should go away after revving the motor and clearing of the sensor off with the hot exhaust gases. One thing we learned when my Ducati tech was dynoing/testing the product is it does run a bit richer at idle than it does during normal operation. He wasn't concerned about it, but you wouldn't want to let your bike sit and idle for long, long periods at a time (30 - 40+ minutes). You could try to set the variable trimmer slightly leaner to see if the CEL comes on less frequently, but you want to make very small adjustments on the trimmer and ride for a couple of days. You'll want to find the leanest setting on the

O2 Manipulator that still eliminates the surging and other lean fueling problems."

Welcome to Italy. Wiring is no importa.

Edited by RSVDon

On a more serious note, I did some light reading of the intermittent check engine light. Nobody seems to know what does it, and the "error" screen apparently never shows anything. Assuming there's no hiccup, no power loss, and nothing funny like excessive fuel consumption, just don't worry about it?

Welcome to Italy. Wiring is no importa.

Yeah, there was no problem I noted. Ran just fine, no problems, after it went off I blasted off down the street without a hiccup. I tried to pull up the error list on the bike but either couldn't find it or there was none recorded.