Build thread. Crate to racebike in how many steps???

Moto-Brian

I don't understand why anyone would think the Duc will do good in WSBK. The carbon framed bike was shit and Stoner + Rossi proved it. Aluminum frame was not improvement. 1 + 1 + 1 = 0. So, I have no hope of the Duc being any better in WSBK.

But, maybe they have different tires or did something else. I feel sorry for Checa. They screwed him last year with the extra weight and now a bad bike.

I wish they would just stuff the engine into the old 1198R trellis be get back to being a Ducati.

What am I missing that gives anyone hope?

Why wouldn't they do well in wsbk, they have won more wsbk championships than any other manufacturer. Not sure on the exact numbers but wouldn't be surprised if they won more than all other manufacturers combined. I don't really think how they perform in motogp has any correlation to what they do in wsbk.

I don't understand why anyone would think the Duc will do good in WSBK. The carbon framed bike was shit and Stoner + Rossi proved it. Aluminum frame was not improvement. 1 + 1 + 1 = 0. So, I have no hope of the Duc being any better in WSBK.

But, maybe they have different tires or did something else. I feel sorry for Checa. They screwed him last year with the extra weight and now a bad bike.

I wish they would just stuff the engine into the old 1198R trellis be get back to being a Ducati.

Dude, where do you get your info? I mean, you are saying they are giving check a bad bike. Are you freakin serious? Put down the Internet and try and source things a to develop a legitimate opinion before talking out of the side of you're mouth.

Checa has struggled a bit. A new bike, no setup info to go off and the fact that the R13 isn't what was used in world super stock.

Wow.

Oh, and please only talk race when you have enough info to not look bad. I'd say that the fact that stoner took the Ducati to a championship in motogp, might mean something...

You cannot compare a MotoGP prototype with a production based bike. Even if this Poongal were similar in chassis to a GP12, the tires are completely different.

Dude, where do you get your info? I mean, you are saying they are giving check a bad bike. Are you freakin serious? Put down the Internet and try and source things a to develop a legitimate opinion before talking out of the side of you're mouth.

Checa has struggled a bit. A new bike, no setup info to go off and the fact that the R13 isn't what was used in world super stock.

Wow.

Oh, and please only talk race when you have enough info to not look bad. I'd say that the fact that stoner took the Ducati to a championship in motogp, might mean something...

Overreaction. Revel wasn't hostile in his post. His stable list shows that he owns a Ducati, so its probably safe to say that he keeps an eye on what they're doing. An avatar of a bike on a track, maybe even the Ducati, might add some more relevance. It doesn't seem that he's a totally uninformed commentator.

How does "Stoner (taking) the Ducati to a championship in MotoGP" translate to production-based WSB?

I don't think anyone is disputing the Ducati knows how to race. People are just voicing their opinions about the way that Ducati is going about things.

Its not a personal attack on you, and we don't all have to be Ducati fanboys.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Overreaction. Revel wasn't hostile in his post. His stable list shows that he owns a Ducati, so its probably safe to say that he keeps an eye on what they're doing. An avatar of a bike on a track, maybe even the Ducati, might add some more relevance. It doesn't seem that he's a totally uninformed commentator.

How does "Stoner (taking) the Ducati to a championship in MotoGP" translate to production-based WSB?

I don't think anyone is disputing the Ducati knows how to race. People are just voicing their opinions about the way that Ducati is going about things.

Its not a personal attack on you, and we don't all have to be Ducati fanboys.

It's misinformation, Jeff. I'm not trying to promote anything fanboy related. I'm trying to make sure that one, Stoner "couldn't ride it" isn't accurate. Two, you're exactly right and what I was pointing out - you cannot take the motogp bike and instantly think the WSBK is the same. Similar technology, but totally different.

Finally, saying Ducati gave Checa a crap bike? Really?

I'm not bashing anyone and just because you show a bike in your avatar, doesn't make you an expert and you can have misinformation like anyone without.

Sooo.....any more pics of progress on the bike?

I do. Got some motor pics yesterday and will post when I get home. Sweet stuff. They are using DLC coatings on things you don't see even in previous Ducati engines and certainly not on Japanese machines. I was VERY impressed.

I do. Got some motor pics yesterday and will post when I get home. Sweet stuff. They are using DLC coatings on things you don't see even in previous Ducati engines and certainly not on Japanese machines. I was VERY impressed.

I'm going to touch it, you know that right?

It's misinformation, Jeff. I'm not trying to promote anything fanboy related. I'm trying to make sure that one, Stoner "couldn't ride it" isn't accurate. Two, you're exactly right and what I was pointing out - you cannot take the motogp bike and instantly think the WSBK is the same. Similar technology, but totally different.

Finally, saying Ducati gave Checa a crap bike? Really?

I'm not bashing anyone and just because you show a bike in your avatar, doesn't make you an expert and you can have misinformation like anyone without.

" I'd say that the fact that stoner took the Ducati to a championship in motogp, might mean something..."

>>Two, you're exactly right and what I was pointing out - you cannot take the motogp bike and instantly think the WSBK is the same. Similar technology, but totally different. <<

So which is it? Those are both your statements.

"Similar technology" in that some of the MotoGP stuff bleeds down to production bikes eventually, which WSB is based-upon.

I didn't say he is/ was a racer. I've never met him. I was trying to make the point that he doesn't seem to be coming completely out of left field on this. He's not a 16 yr old Noob riding a 1976 JC Penney's moped. He's seems to have some grasp of what he's talking about.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Jeff- try and keep up. My response regarding Stoner was to him saying Stiner and Rossi couldn't win on the thing. I think stoner proved it could win and when it didn't suit Rossi, worked for stoner. Not sure where this is getting confused between WSBK and MotoGP. The technology trickles down to WSBK from MotoGP, but the bikes are completely different. Period.

I know you're trying to make me look like the asshole here, but I was simply telling him that to say Ducati gave Checa a crap bike is wrong. I stated that riders on completely new machines with minimal testing as of yet doesn't show it to be a crap bike. As examples from others in this thread, it did well in the superstock class.

Not sure your agenda here. I'll tell revel that all I am saying is that the MotoGP bike has nothing to do with the WSBK machine. I also will say that if you think the 1199 is a crap bike, I can show (and will) just how awesome some of the things are with this bike that Ducati has done that isn't being done with other brands.

As for the idea Jeff is assuming I am thinking you should be treated differently and that you're not 16 and ride a moped, I don't care if you're 16 or 50. I also don't care if you own a moped or a series of every Ducati Superbike made. Misinformation or similar is just that. Doesn't matter who you are or what you own. You're a good guy and I don't want you to think I think lowly of you. But, it hits a nerve when I hear people say something is crap or say something isn't done right, etc. or that people can't win on something when it has been shown to be untrue. Even if you aren't 16... :)

First off, this is going to be a very cool thread, so haters please go back to the gun threads. He's not showing off, he races and he's got a new race bike to build. This is cool stuff and what makes reading a MOTORCYCLE FORUM cool. Hating on him because he is more fortunate than you is retarded.

2nd, I happen to know 1 other guy building an 1199 race bike also affiliated with Ducati and he's taking the exact same route. building a bike based on the stock bike seems to be the best way to go. The electronic ohlins is cool but there isn't much need for all that fanciness on a race track. It makes a lot of sense IMO. It just seems that dollars for performance Brian has this worked out very well. Unless you are someone like Larry Pegram who has the money and sponsors to start with an R bike, starting with a base model just seems to be the best way to go.

3rd, the frame or lack there of on the GP bikes is just not the same as the frame on the race bike based on the production bike. I mean, the GP bike is a 4 cylinder, do you need to know anything else to know they are completely different bikes. It's just a silly argument. Why will the 1199 be competitive in world super bike? How bout it's 195hp twin as a starting point. The 1199 is the first game changing bike in a long time. I personally can't wait to see it in more racing leagues to see how well the technology does, but if nothing else, that motor is amazing. The way it makes power with only 2 cylinders is mind blowing.

Edited by vw151

Wow,this tread twisted little bit from original post.

Your bike least have engine,mine is just frame and wheels at this moment.

Rusty, where you been man? I haven't seen anything on FB either, what's up with the bike, engine go kaboom or just "upgrading" :)

You running Wera this season?

DesmoBrian, get us some more pics, I need fap material, all my pics of R1iloveanalbeads are over used.

Rusty, where you been man? I haven't seen anything on FB either, what's up with the bike, engine go kaboom or just "upgrading" :)

You running Wera this season?

DesmoBrian, get us some more pics, I need fap material, all my pics of R1iloveanalbeads are over used.

I am upgrading, my competition go with 1199,so I need to do something .

I will race more next year,and do less track days.dont want waste my race engine on track days.