Build thread. Crate to racebike in how many steps???

Moto-Brian

Dude, where do you get your info? I mean, you are saying they are giving check a bad bike. Are you freakin serious? Put down the Internet and try and source things a to develop a legitimate opinion before talking out of the side of you're mouth.

Checa has struggled a bit. A new bike, no setup info to go off and the fact that the R13 isn't what was used in world super stock.

Wow.

Oh, and please only talk race when you have enough info to not look bad. I'd say that the fact that stoner took the Ducati to a championship in motogp, might mean something...

Guys, let me clarify my position.

Stoner did take Ducati to a championship but that was in 2007 (rest are Yamaha and Honda > Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner) and it was NOT the carbon frameless bike. The last time Ducati won any (GP/WSBK) championship is with Stoner on a trellis and Checa on a trellis.

MotoGP > Stoner rode the carbon thing, struggled. Rossi stepped in and struggled even more. Ducati ditched the carbon and went to an aluminum perimeter frame. Bike still was horrible and both Rossi and Hayden suffered for it. (maybe it was tires or ??, I don't know). Any fact misrepresentation or misstatements of the facts yet? Also, we saw what Stoner could do on the Honda so we know it wasn't the rider. Rossi gets redemption this year on Yamaha, so we have to wait and see if it was bike or rider (I say bike).

WSBK > Checa won the SBK 2011 title on a trellis and was doing well in the first few races of 2012. Then the race org. slapped a 6lb weight penalty on him and he suffered the rest of the year. http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Ducati-WSBK-weight-penalty-abolished-next-season&newsid=8271

My comments about WSBK 2013 is that they are moving to Panigale and I ASSUME it is some race version of the production model. Is it safe to assume the same guys that built the GP carbon unit may have had a hand in the SBK carbon unit? So, carbon frameless bike again. Could it be different, yes but if Checa struggles this year, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Crap bike, quite possibly. Time will tell. BMW earned their dues and I am quite positive that Ducati will have to earn theirs as well. Killer motor, weight penalties or not.

True enough, MotoGP is a different breed of motorcycle. Also true that WSBK is not the same thing as the production bikes. But we know that technologies are shared. As such, I believe it is perfectly valid to use MotoGP results as a basis for understanding of what can happen when a similar approach is applied in WSBK. Ducati hasn't had much success with the MotoGP bike(s) and it should not come as a surprise if they struggle in WSBK. Bad bike or will the 17" Pirelli tires make all the difference? Maybe or maybe not. If he does well, I will be pleasantly surprised and everyone can get a good chuckle on my behalf. But if he struggles, I get to crow to Ducati to go back being a Ducati = Trellis frame. That is and was a winning model.

In short, I am no owner fanboi that simply believes Ducati is going to kick ass because they have some fancy new bedazzler of a bike and/or XYZ super jock rider. History shows that this frameles approach has not been successful in a non-production RACE bike. Two if not 3 of the best riders in the business have not been able to ride it to victory. (yes, 2010 Stoner did get a few podiums but he also crashed a lot and took a ton of shit for his efforts). MotoGP <> WSBK, fair enough but there are enough similarities for me to argue a correlation and if Checa struggles, causality.

I am still quite interested to see how your bike comes out, how you do this season and how it compares to your previous KTM.

(And for the record, my first response to your original post was in jest, I am seriously jealous.)

Edited by Revelstoker

I have too much invest in my bike,and even if I part out the bike i get maybe 50% back.so i stick with what I have.i can run A,B,C SBK,and HWT SBK with Wera .im getting the engine blueprint ,and 1040 big bore kit.

Won't this bump you out of some of the classes listed?

you cannot take the motogp bike and instantly think the WSBK is the same. Similar technology, but totally different.

I agree. Correlation is not causation when you're talking MotoGP and WSBK.

The Honda MotoGP bike is amazing, but the CBR1000RR-based WSBK bike is pretty mediocre.

The gap widens when you start talking street bikes and/or other series. The Yamaha M1 took the MotoGP championship this season, but no one's even riding an R1 in WSBK anymore... At the AMA level, Hayes dominates on the R1, but at the club level, it is not the favorite contender.

IF the pannigale has problems, Ducati's MotoGP failures have nothing to do with it, and virtually no effect.

He will be a heavyweight twin like the 1199, 1198, 1098, etc.. He'll just have an 848 with a 1040 kit.

the 1040 kit is a very cool motor, makes 1098 power but in a more over square configuration and it still has the lighter 848 crank so it'll still turn in like an 848. Not that that has been anything to right home about but less rotating weight on something like the crank should make the bike feel "lighter" on turn in.

Besides, wasn't the 848 already in the heavy twins categories? I thought the 749 was the biggest twin you could run in the lightweight.

I look at the rule book and I can run F1,HWT SBK.the engine need rebuild so why not add few more HP.

Yeah, you won't be able to run the lighter weight classes or the B based classes, either.

Cool concept and you have the right guy doing it. It will be cool for sure!

So, got some pics of the motor... The motor is torn down and being used as an educational tool via the dealership as it sits right now. So, it was on display at the shop for a few days before getting into it more.

The more I was looking and being shown, the more impressed I was with the build quality and the attention to detail. Little stuff like DLC coated shifter forks. DLC coated piston pin and DLC coated rocker arms. All stuff you don't typically see in a motor...

The engine pulled:

461977_467043516664655_1672526145_o_zpsdeee75b5.jpg

The front half missing some things...

472044_467043506664656_1775990145_o_zps35838b8f.jpg

Cases split:

472014_467197349982605_961411904_o_zps10d1bbf3.jpg

Kinda big pistons (Quarters not included.)

286241_467197246649282_1844050063_o_zps7c4713b6.jpg

DLC coated pin:

458766_467197376649269_18145727_o_zps284dafc7.jpg

DLC coated shift forks:

664969_467197499982590_154995164_o_zpsf6d5aa16.jpg

Something VERY cool - pressurized chain guides for the cam chain! Rubber o-rings shown in green...

1199rodandpiston_zps8d6680c0.jpg

Note the micro polishing on cam. Same with rods...

1199cylinderheadandcam_zps490d1df9.jpg

Little touches like replacing the plastic bung, quick release. Attention to detail on something that will be on and off a number of times. Race prep means making sure the smallest thing is thought of...

243277_465551386813868_854869006_o_zps93fddd3e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool engine pics. I have had an opportunity to see this bike torn down in a demo over at Matt's shop as well. I suppose it goes with out saying, but this bike is such a game changer, like nothing I've ever seen before.