Finally getting my wife to try two wheels...

Ziggy

So after nearly 14 years of marriage, my lovely wife has decided that she wants to learn to ride. Now, she's short (4'11, and short legged to boot!) so even the smallest bikes are a little intimidating for her. In addition to that, she can't drive a stick, and she fears that learning how to handle being on two wheels AND learning how to operate a clutch and shift gears is going to be too much for her to handle. So that leaves the most logical machine for her initial foray into motorcycle-dom is going to be a step-through scoot.

So here's my plan: I'm going to buy an inexpensive (read: cheap and old) japanese scooter that'll be small enough for her to learn on, but big enough for me to commute to work on. I've found an '87 Honda Elite 150 on Craigslist for cheap, that the guy says needs minor work. Now, I'm no stranger to a wrench, I do ride a Harley after all, but I'm completely unfamiliar with scooters. I've never ridden, nor worked on one before, but I'm eager to learn the do's and don'ts of scooters buying and maintenance.

I spotted the Ruckus on here, but I don't wanna spend that much money. Trying to keep my initial purchase price under $500, and total ridable expendature under $700.

I know there are at least a few scooter riders on here, so c'mon out y'all, impart some wisdom on me!

scoot is a reasonable starting point, but be aware they are a bit twitchy with the short wheel base and small wheels.

I don't have a lot of wisdom regarding scooters, I bought one for mom last summer, it was a 2007 sunl 150, and it was 600 iirc. no real issues with it yet.

As for the short SO and teaching her to ride, I got mine a 1982 honda 450e on the cheap, and she started practicing clutch control in the yard. Once she started getting the hang of that, I took her up to a local school parking lot and let her practice her maneuverability. She didn't have a lot of time to practice, but she's getting the hang of things.

I think this summer she'll be ready for some actual road time.

Like yours 4'11, no clutch experience or motorcycle of any kind.

i taught my wife on a pitbike. its small enough so if she spilled it, it wouldnt hurt her, but it was clutch, and pretty aggressive little thing. let her get super comfortable on it then put her on a ninja 250. shes doing pretty good, uses the bike as a cruiser, not yet good enough to keep up with the big boys, but i would recommend a pit bike. easy to fix, not much to break if its wrecked, and cheap on craigslist. but side note, i know nothing about scooters, im sure i could look at one and tell you whats wrong with it though, but i dont think ive ever seen one up close.

Congrats man! My wife got her MC endorsement as a wedding present to me :)

But I totally understand your concern. I have been terrified every time she takes the bike out (i will be a disaster with kids...)

My wife only ever rode the TW200 they used at the MSF course, and my EX500 thereafter. I cannot stress enough how important it will be for her to learn on something she can drop, pick up, and not worry about.

With that in mind, I would start her on a small dirt bike, and forget about commuting on "her" bike.

your $500 budget keeps things a little tight, but having shopped XR100's for the last month or so, they're out there, and you CAN make them street legal.

My wife dropped my EX500 in the garage once, and then the tar snakes on our street get so loose in the summer, I was too afraid to let her out on the street again (I nearly dropped the bike on the tar snakes, and I'm 6' and was 180 lbs. at the time).

But now that I'm going to have an XR in the garage, I'm taking her to a parking lot on day 1, putting her in my "rain" leathers, and saying "go have fun." Even a couple days on a dirt bike will vastly improve her chances of success on a bigger bike.

I'd love to pick up a pit bike or other small dirty bike, but I live in an HOA concentration camp neighborhood in which people bitch about my garbage cans staying out at the curb past 5:00 PM the day of pick up. No place to ride, and no transport to take a bike anyplace else = pissy neighbors annoying the local po-po with complaints about unlicensed vehicles running around the neighborhood.

I'd love to pick up a pit bike or other small dirty bike, but I live in an HOA concentration camp neighborhood in which people bitch about my garbage cans staying out at the curb past 5:00 PM the day of pick up. No place to ride, and no transport to take a bike anyplace else = pissy neighbors annoying the local po-po with complaints about unlicensed vehicles running around the neighborhood.

now that sounds like its time to move. :rulez:

All of the arguements you guys have brought up about teaching her to operate the clutch on a dirt bike, or a pit bike, and the like are great, and they make a lot of sense, but for one problem... She doesn't want to learn how to operate the clutch. Not yet anyway. Knowing my wife as I do, I've learned that I have to work within the bounds that she lays out for me. She'll warm up to an idea over time, and I'm pretty sure that eventually, she'll want to learn how to ride a "real bike", but until then, we're stuck on CVTs and "automatics".

I think one day we'll get a couple dirty bikes, because I will definately start my son on one, but if I can't get a machine to work within my wife's perceived limitations, she won't mess with it.

now that sounds like its time to move. :rulez:

AGREED! But I gotta wait for the housing market to recover a little bit first. We bought in 2006 when I transferred to Cincinnati, and my house is worth approximately $12k less now than it was when we bought. Hoping to move in about 2 years over to Butler County. Gotta get some stuff in order first, is all.

understood, In that case, you might go a little outside your budget if you want something big enough to keep up with traffic, and something super reliable...

I think you hit the displacement on the nose... 150cc will do 60 in the right conditions.

understood, In that case, you might go a little outside your budget if you want something big enough to keep up with traffic, and something super reliable...

I think you hit the displacement on the nose... 150cc will do 60 in the right conditions.

Keeping up with traffic is all relative. This little machine will not likely ever need to exceed 45-50 mph, regardless of who's riding it.

I understand your limitations. She says she wants to learn on a scooter then you have to get her a scooter. There are no options even if other choices would be more logical. Been there :)

However I really like the MSF course as a starting point. Atleast in my class there were several riders that had never been on a motorcycle and a couple women also. They start from the basics and dont seem to have preconceived notions about the students skill level. It cheap and you get to ride their bikes so its no biggie if you do drop. All the bikes available for my course had been dropped multiple times on both sides in their life. There was only a couple working turn signals in the group :D

I also think a bike like an XR100 or similar would be a good way to get used to riding. You can ride on grass so falling is much less scary. The bikes are so low and light they are not scary at all. Find a friends in the area that has a few acres and store the bike there. Or get a cheap trailer for transport. Lots of possibilities.

Craig

Keeping up with traffic is all relative. This little machine will not likely ever need to exceed 45-50 mph, regardless of who's riding it.

150 is still probably your best bet, unless you get a 2 stroke, then 80 would work...

anything less and you'll be struggling.

150 is still probably your best bet, unless you get a 2 stroke, then 80 would work...

anything less and you'll be struggling.

My thoughts exactly, though I really hadn't considered an 80cc 2 stroke... hmmm need to do some more research.

I understand your limitations. She says she wants to learn on a scooter then you have to get her a scooter. There are no options even if other choices would be more logical. Been there :)

However I really like the MSF course as a starting point. Atleast in my class there were several riders that had never been on a motorcycle and a couple women also. They start from the basics and dont seem to have preconceived notions about the students skill level. It cheap and you get to ride their bikes so its no biggie if you do drop. All the bikes available for my course had been dropped multiple times on both sides in their life. There was only a couple working turn signals in the group :D

I also think a bike like an XR100 or similar would be a good way to get used to riding. You can ride on grass so falling is much less scary. The bikes are so low and light they are not scary at all. Find a friends in the area that has a few acres and store the bike there. Or get a cheap trailer for transport. Lots of possibilities.

Craig

I definitely want her in an MSF course to get her endorsement. It's not the way I went, but I've been riding something or another for as long as I can remember.

How about a Hondamatic? A little out of your price range but she would have a bike that would last for a while longer than a scooter.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3411325718.html

That's a neat little bike, but again, knowing my wife, it'd have to be her first "step up" bike, once she decides that she wants to ride a motorcycle, rather than a scooter.

At this point, I've located a couple of old Elite 150s and 125s, as well as a couple Yamaha Riva 125s that'll fall right where I need to be price and (hopefully) size wise. Found an Elite 150 Northwest of Lima for $250 that needs a little work, but that is almost 3 hours from me, and I'll have to rent or borrow a truck to go get it. Still trying to weigh out the decision to try to buy stupid cheap far away, or locally for a little more money.

My wife learned to ride this summer. I have been riding for a while too and never took the MSF course, so her and I both did it. Very basic stuff for me, but she learned a lot and had a good time doing it. She started on a Buell Blast and whenever we get some warmer days, I plan on getting her out on the VFR next.

I have the SENA comm system and that has been the best way for me to help teach her while riding. We are able to communicate and I can pass on my experience in "real time" to her. All those things you see and avoid because of the experience you have can be communicated to her while you are both on the road.

Best of luck, it's a bit nerve wrecking... :D

That's a neat little bike, but again, knowing my wife, it'd have to be her first "step up" bike, once she decides that she wants to ride a motorcycle, rather than a scooter.

At this point, I've located a couple of old Elite 150s and 125s, as well as a couple Yamaha Riva 125s that'll fall right where I need to be price and (hopefully) size wise. Found an Elite 150 Northwest of Lima for $250 that needs a little work, but that is almost 3 hours from me, and I'll have to rent or borrow a truck to go get it. Still trying to weigh out the decision to try to buy stupid cheap far away, or locally for a little more money.

I'd go local for a little more, subtract shipping costs and the convenience of just riding it home...AND costs of repairs you don't have to do yet... you're saving twice.

Dang dude, let the wife pick one. Let her call it hers. But yeah, the MSF course first. A free chance to try out some bikes. She needs to try out shifting anyway. Maybe ok with that, maybe not. Need to find out.