Truth about safes

Gump

Those fancy one are over rated i am getting one made local that is way more stout for less money. Guy uses plate steel and fire brick intead of sheet metal and fiberous insulation.

Interested to hear who is doing this for you, specs, cost etc.

Edited by flounder

im actually in the market for a safe. i would like a stand up, atleast 10 gun i have 3 handguns, 2 rifles and a shotgun currently but also expanding... any recommendations? i know a few of you have some.. some way more than i need.

i would like to obviously bolt it to the ground.. on my lower level... so advice lol

pricerange isnt really known yet as i dont know what is good or not

Some of those old school, heavy, business safes you see at auctions, sound a lot better now. Opportunistic thieves probably won't mess with a cheap safe if they can't carry it. A career thief is going to get your stuff no matter what. On the other hand that's why we pay insurance. I think it's kind of a wash of a decision.

Know a family who had a large 48 gun safe and while on vacation thieves broke in and hammered it out of he floor moved it through the house and dropped it off the backporch. The house was on a hill so it was in concrete. They then took a four wheeler and drug it in a nearby woods where they pried it open. The tracks were evident in the yard and brought them right to it where it was laying in a creek bed. If they want it will be gone.

Unless its something of substance as far as weight they will get it if they want it. A safe is more protection than the closet, and will help slow them down.

A friend of my dads owned a rigging company, and got an Mosler safe that was 8,000 lbs and put it in his garage (not your average 2 car). He poured it up higher on a pad. He was on vacation and someone broke into his house and tried to get the safe. The thieves figured they could just tip the safe over into the back of a pickup. When the safe hit, you could see the dents in the concrete were the rearend of the truck hit, and a pool of gear oil. They never got the safe, it was found laying on its face. I guess they never realized it was 8K, or the force of 8k falling.

Unless its something of substance as far as weight they will get it if they want it. A safe is more protection than the closet, and will help slow them down.

A friend of my dads owned a rigging company, and got an Mosler safe that was 8,000 lbs and put it in his garage (not your average 2 car). He poured it up higher on a pad. He was on vacation and someone broke into his house and tried to get the safe. The thieves figured they could just tip the safe over into the back of a pickup. When the safe hit, you could see the dents in the concrete were the rearend of the truck hit, and a pool of gear oil. They never got the safe, it was found laying on its face. I guess they never realized it was 8K, or the force of 8k falling.

:lol: That's awesome looks like the safe made the truck a low rider for free

I just think a safe says to a thief, "hey look over here, this is where all the valuables are at!" I would just hide all your guns and valuables in plain sight where you would never think to look for them. I mean if a thief breaks in while you're on vacation, you think they're gonna look in the dishwasher for your guns? Or that you have all your jewelry in a box of cereal in the cupboard?

There was a guy not where I work but another station. His family went on vacation so he hid his loaded duty handgun in the oven. When they got home his wife decided she wanted to cook something. I guess this was a rare instance and she decided to use the oven. Well she preheated it and cooked the gun. I guess it disfigured the polymer enough he had to report it but the gun still functioned.

For the money, its hard to beat a Liberty Safe. Lowes is a Liberty Dealer and they price match plus 10%. So when the clearance ads come out from the gun and sporting goods stores take that ad to Lowes for another $100 off. My last safe purchase was the Liberty Fat Boy for almost half price

Know a family who had a large 48 gun safe and while on vacation thieves broke in and hammered it out of he floor moved it through the house and dropped it off the backporch. The house was on a hill so it was in concrete. They then took a four wheeler and drug it in a nearby woods where they pried it open. The tracks were evident in the yard and brought them right to it where it was laying in a creek bed. If they want it will be gone.

right...

Charlize-Theron-in-front-of-a-MINI-Italian-Jon.jpg