Completed the Concaeal Carry Class

ScubaCinci

Read this and use your judgement on if it impacts your situation. (Emphasis mine)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

2923.126 [Effective Until 1/1/2014] Duties of licensed individual.

(A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code on or after March 14, 2007, shall expire five years after the date of issuance, and a license that is so issued prior to March 14, 2007, shall expire four years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid.

Good catch. Takes the time pressure off and I can just let the new law take effect.

It used to be the license was good for 4 years and the training was good for 5. This created a strange suituation at renewals where they KNEW all renewals would have valid training (they had to, considering the training is valid for that extra year). Why demand to see 4-year-old paperwork that already knew has to be valid or else the applicant wouldn't have their first permit?

So, just as renewing a driver's license does not require proving you passed your driver's test (the fact you have a license is proof enough), renewing your CHL for the first time did not require proving you got training (having the CHL is proof enough).

There is no good definition of how much training was going to be required for the second renewal. I was planning to use the shooting course I did with some of the guys on here as part of that. I was going to also do another course that made the hours up to at least 12, thinking that if 12 is good for the first permit it's good for renewal.

However, that will not be required by the time I do my second renewal (in two years time.) The law that goes into effect in March allegedly states that all renewals are training-free - but 2923.125 (licensing process) does not show up with a "Current" version and an "Effective March 2013" version like 2923.126 does, so the way I read it there still supposedly will be the training requirement on second renewals... Am I reading that wrong?

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125

So since I did my 1st renewal last year, when it expires next, I should qualify for the new laws and not have to get recertified is that correct? As long as the new laws go fully into place and policy.

Thanks to everyone who did their class with MDS. I hope you had as much fun as I did. You guys made the best of bad weather and a shooting area we don't plan on using again. MJ had me worried a bit with not feeling well, but it sounds like our on site medic help out.

Yep! She definitely helped me get through the rest of the class!

Was it the donatos that made you sick?

No clue... It started about an hour after I ate, but I haven't been able to eat a meal since without my stomach cramping up and making me feel sick, but it is getting better. I think food poisoning takes a while to set in, so unless they just did something stupid like dropping cleaning solution in the food, I don't think it would be their fault. Its definitely not the flu either, bc other than my stomach, I feel fine. Hard to say whats wrong.

Note: I would never discourage training. I'm a proponent of getting as much training as possible. Heck, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they required proof of at least 12 hours of range time a year (proven by way of receipts from any range) - I know that real enthusiasts shoot more than that anyway. Having said that, don't fret over it if you don't need to.

Except a lot of people (me included) wont step foot in a public range for fear of getting shot by a dumbass.

Then log your practice session at whatever venue you choose and swear/affirm the log is accurate.

Out of curiosity, do you base your concern about ranges on any specific event(s)? I've never had a problem at a range.