Completed the Concaeal Carry Class

ScubaCinci

http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/events.html

It is down in KY. Buddy of Brian and I's did the class said it was good.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think they offer advanced classes through the new shop that will be less than a mile from my new house (once I build it).

See u there David thanks mj, swing sent me the like u sent him.

Great!

Yeah but I think what MJ was saying why not 6 hours of classroom and 6 hours of gun handling/shooting?

Yes! This is exactly what I'm saying.

I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to why there is 10 hours of classroom time and only 2 hours of holding the guns.

Well, you need an hour of ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction yada yada stuff :nono:. you know, most of that stuff that anyone with common sense already knows. Although as we know, most people seem to lack common sense these days.

The legal aspect was interesting and at times, eye-opening. You definitely need to know the situation before even making it known you have a concealed weapon.

• 2 weeks later...
It was pretty cold at the range.

Haha, Me after I qualified: "Can I go sit in the car with my heated seats?" One of the instructors, "Eh, we prefer you not."

Needless to say, my buns were toasty about 3 min later lol. Surprised no one got stuck back where their range is.

Sent from my iPhone

I did my class at New Albany Shooting Range the year they passed CC in Ohio. 12 people, one day, 8am to 9pm. (so that we could have breaks and still get 12 hours)

The mix of folks wasn't all that diverse. 50/50 men women and a couple older folks. I was the youngest at ~31

I'd have to say i was probably the youngest at 22 in are class. The instructors made it a fun learning experience, with the good jokes!

It was a good class. And you were definitely the youngest. :p

We had a good class when I took mine. We did have one assclown that took all headshots on his target. He was a colossal douche.

No DBs in our class. Best bit was after the rinkdiggers (range guns) were put away they gave us all 5 shots with a $2k Kimber 1911. At 25' put 5 shots in one ragged hole. Good fun.

Edited by Scruit

So now I have to figure out my next move. My license is up April 4 (I was one of the first in Ohio). Do I take training now and get it done? Or do I wait until the new updates go in to action which happens to be 2 weeks before expiration, while I'm out of state on vacation.... Essentially leaving me one week?

Thanks to everyone who did their class with MDS. I hope you had as much fun as I did. You guys made the best of bad weather and a shooting area we don't plan on using again. MJ had me worried a bit with not feeling well, but it sounds like our on site medic help out.

Eric and I can only hope to have every class full of people that are enthused and fun like you guys were. Thanks again and feel free to PM with with any questions and ill help as best I can.

So now I have to figure out my next move. My license is up April 4 (I was one of the first in Ohio). Do I take training now and get it done? Or do I wait until the new updates go in to action which happens to be 2 weeks before expiration, while I'm out of state on vacation.... Essentially leaving me one week?

Under current law first renewal does not require further training.

Under current law first renewal does not require further training.

It's my 2nd renewal. After a little research, our course last year that several of us took (you too) may suffice. Otherwise, it looks like I can have someone with the appropriate certification join me at the range and certify my range competency. Looks pretty easy.

Mojoe.... Want to earn a few bucks and go shoot with me in the next few weeks?

It's my 2nd renewal. After a little research, our course last year that several of us took (you too) may suffice. Otherwise, it looks like I can have someone with the appropriate certification join me at the range and certify my range competency. Looks pretty easy.

Mojoe.... Want to earn a few bucks and go shoot with me in the next few weeks?

Read this and use your judgement on if it impacts your situation. (Emphasis mine)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

2923.126 [Effective Until 1/1/2014] Duties of licensed individual.

(A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code on or after March 14, 2007, shall expire five years after the date of issuance, and a license that is so issued prior to March 14, 2007, shall expire four years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid.

Note: I would never discourage training. I'm a proponent of getting as much training as possible. Heck, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they required proof of at least 12 hours of range time a year (proven by way of receipts from any range) - I know that real enthusiasts shoot more than that anyway. Having said that, don't fret over it if you don't need to.

Edited by Scruit

My license expires in June of 2013' date=' but my training cert is good for another year. That means what? I take the written test and re-qualify at the range?[/quote']

It used to be the license was good for 4 years and the training was good for 5. This created a strange suituation at renewals where they KNEW all renewals would have valid training (they had to, considering the training is valid for that extra year). Why demand to see 4-year-old paperwork that already knew has to be valid or else the applicant wouldn't have their first permit?

So, just as renewing a driver's license does not require proving you passed your driver's test (the fact you have a license is proof enough), renewing your CHL for the first time did not require proving you got training (having the CHL is proof enough).

There is no good definition of how much training was going to be required for the second renewal. I was planning to use the shooting course I did with some of the guys on here as part of that. I was going to also do another course that made the hours up to at least 12, thinking that if 12 is good for the first permit it's good for renewal.

However, that will not be required by the time I do my second renewal (in two years time.) The law that goes into effect in March allegedly states that all renewals are training-free - but 2923.125 (licensing process) does not show up with a "Current" version and an "Effective March 2013" version like 2923.126 does, so the way I read it there still supposedly will be the training requirement on second renewals... Am I reading that wrong?

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125