Uncrated 1979 Yamaha RD400F sells for $21,000

Casper

This extends beyond my motorcycle knowledge. What's so special about a 400cc late 70's yamaha?
Very agile two stroke that could out run bikes twice its size.

With the right rider it couldn't be caught. Except in a straight line on the highway where bigger displacement would catch up after 90 -110 mph.

Was referred to as a "Get away" bike. On a twisty road, forget about it, it's gone.

Oh yea, did I mention wheelies? :D

:wheeliezx10:

In those days there were a lot of smaller bikes. 250’s, 350’s, 450’s, 550’s. People rode 185’s on the street all the time.

A 650 was a big bike. Most people rode the smaller bikes like the CB 350, a very popular model.

And then there were the Triumphs and Harleys and the Euro bikes, Beamers and the like.

After Harley bought themselves back from AMF they got a law passed for a tariff which pretty much killed them off.

The EPA got in on it too and killed off two-strokes so it was the end of an era.

I’m sure sentimental value has something to do with it as well.

Edited by Strictly Street
Added history

Very popular 2 stroke. Yamahas answer to the Kawasaki 500 triple.

Except the RD handled, the KH 500 cornered like it had an 100 lb. anvil for a front fender. My older brother has owned two RD 350s which was faster than the 400s, the EPA killed the 400s power. The Daytona 400 was a beauty.