Help me with life

Bitani

I am a senior in high school this year. I will be going off to college next year, and up until I started riding motorcycles last year it has always been computer engineering that I wanted to go into. It's still a VERY viable option, but I'm increasingly becoming interested in trying to find some sort of engineering that could correlate in some way to motorcycles/auto. The best moments in life happened on my motorcycle in the last year, and if a job is viable I feel that could be the best way to go for me to be happy working for the rest of my life.

I'm not quite sure what jobs, besides mechanic, are really viable with motorcycles.

So, my question: What careers have you guys heard of, experienced, known, etc. etc. that relate to motorcycles in the engineering field? Or dealing with motorcycles? The closest things you know of?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcycles are generally a hobby, not a career option (unless you are Dani Pedrosa) and unless you are a high level engineer or specialized mechanic the money is probably not going to be that great. Go for a high level engineering degree in a field that interests you to get a good paying career started, then buy all kinds of motorcycles and tinker around or do track days in your spare time. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Motorcycles are generally a hobby, not a career option (unless you are Dani Pedrosa) and unless you are a high level engineer or specialized mechanic the money is probably not going to be that great. Go for a high level engineering degree in a field that interests you to get a good paying career started, then buy all kinds of motorcycles and tinker around or do track days in your spare time. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks!

Trust me, I understand that motorcycles are mostly a hobby. But in my mind, there's also the people that make that hobby happen.

I'm quite aware that it's a long-shot, but I'm just trying to find if there's any even distant-related auto-related jobs that are plausible to try to get into. Computer engineering is still my #1 choice, I've stuck with programming since I was 9, but you can never have too many options!

Some ideas…….Engineering jobs in motorcycling are of the scarce variety. That said, look into racing, parts suppliers, or major OEMs. Since you are into Computer engineering figure an angle on how to apply that to motorcycles. See if you can contact great motorcycle type engineers - i.e. Bazzazz, ask if you could pick their brain. Get some EE courses too. Electric motorcycles at some point will hit the landscape and will need engineers to help. -- All this will apply to automotive engineering too.

With all that – keep working on computer engineering. The massive wave of leading edge devices and IT seems to have no end in sight.

Good luck

I had a friend that went to MMI and become a well trained mechanic. After a few years him and a buddy left the dealerships they were at and opened their own shop. They were doing really well with steady business. But eventually he got burnt out and decided to enlist in the army. They closed up shop and I asked him why and he said the money was good but turning your hobby into your career kind of takes the fun out of it.

I understand that your planning on a higher level than he was at but it may still fit. I'd think your best bet would be try to get ahold of some manufactures of bikes and components. In Ohio your going to be limited to Honda (they don't build bikes here but sometimes test them near Marysville), Showa, or Harley if you travel. I can't think of anyone else off hand. Maybe look into R+D there's a place beside the Honda plant called TRC that does all sorts of testing but most of the engineers there work for Honda. You could get into tires those are always changing but the closest would be Goodyear and they aren't really known for motorcycle tires. You could contact Don Guhl of Guhl motorsports, he is the go to guy for getting the computer on your bike reflashed. They do a lot of performance stuff there and are a small enough shop that you can probably get in and talk to them about your career choice and how to go about it. They are in Pennsylvania somewhere.

About a month ago someone started a thread about this same exact topic you may want to dig that up so people don't have to repeat what they said in there.

Ill tell you what I always told my brother, what your career comes down to is this, you are selling your time. Get a good education so you can sell it to the highest bidder. No matter what interest you pursue in life it wil eventually become just a job that you do for money.

Of course, my brother didn't listen to me, went to school for police science and works for a box store.

Ill tell you what I always told my brother, what your career comes down to is this, you are selling your time. Get a good education so you can sell it to the highest bidder. No matter what interest you pursue in life it wil eventually become just a job that you do for money.

Of course, my brother didn't listen to me, went to school for police science and works for a box store.

Box store? Is that code for a brothel?

• Upvote 1

Yup mechanical. I had my heart set on designing cars boats and roller coasters up until my freshmen year of college when I was way too bored and lazy in Engineering and realized how remotely small of a shot it was to do what I really wanted

My primary interest in high school was automobiles. I was in college prep but the guys in the auto mechanics tech program would bring their cars to me to tune (this was in the early seventies when emissions controls were new & absolutely ruined the performance of cars.) Everyone was always saying, "Why don't you become a mechanical engineer since you love cars so much?" My reason was I didn't want to ruin my passion by making it my job. I knew that VERY FEW jobs are really something enjoyable, but are a means to an end. I decided I wanted to do something that would allow me to make enough money to enjoy my hobby (cars, then later motorcycles) and still be a job that I at least wouldn't hate to do the rest of my life. You will find out that there is NO job that ends up being what you think it is and no matter what, you'll have good and bad days. So, what did I decide to become? An optometrist! In no way related to cars/bikes but a career wih good hours, good working conditions and good pay. I've been successfully self employed for 30 years, raised a family, and played with a number of cool bikes & cars over the past 30+ years.

I wanted the same. So it was mechanical/electrical engineering and design for me. It pays better, and doesn't ruin your favorite hobbies. It pretty much enhances anything you want to do that is mechanical and electrical. I kept motorcycle mechanic as a backup in case all else failed.

Turn that around, and create or invent items for motorcycles. Make it work for you.

edit: and yes, I wound up in IT and computers anyway. Aviation engineering jobs got scarce. I would seriously consider programming as a high paying primary field. But choose wisely which skills to pick up.

Edited by ReconRat

+1 on mechanical engineering. I know its not super common, but places like OSU have teams that you can join, like the electric motorcycle team, and if you do well and enjoy it, you can make a lot of contacts from industry and be set up for a good job. The nice thing about mechanical engineering is that it is so broad that you can work on a lot of different things - I'm getting my phd in mech eng and I am currently designing materials, but I've also dabbled in hvac and laboratory design, and have had opportunities to design solutions in 3rd world situations (rain water collection for animals, cooling solution for kitchen at an orphanage, etc).

Anyway, if you're still on the fence, you could start electrical and decide after your first year, because, really your first year is almost the same no matter what engineering you choose. intro math, physics, chemistry and GECs.

I started out my college career as a computer engineer, but wasn't motivated enough to take all the high level math and physics and ended up in IT. Similar field except instead of creating new hardware/software you implement and maintain it. They say the average college student changes their mind/major 3-4 times in their college career and I changed mine 4 times lol. So its nice to have an idea of what you want to do but don't count on that being the same thing 4 years from now.

If you have the interest, mechanical engineering is a great way to get into the automotive industry, and there are many opportunities at both the OEM and supplier level. The auto industry as a whole is very competitive and can be higher stress, but it offers chances to do some amazing things if you have the desire.

I've been fortunate enough to work for a T1 automotive supplier that also has some involvement with the motorcycle industry, and as a result have had some fantastic motorcycle related experiences that I would not have had otherwise.

There are other suppliers (Dunlop is one of the better examples) that have a strong motorcycle development and manufacturing presence for both OEMs and racing in the US.

The side benefit of ME is that it is typically considered the most diverse of the engineering disciplines, so it's easy to be considered for a wide range of career options, which may not be as true with something like IT. The money can also be very good, so you have the ability to finance hobbies while also saving for the future.

Edited by Hailwood

I have to agree with that. I used to LOVE working in my car all night and weekends. Once I started doing it for a living not so much.

Exactly, which is why I dont use PC anymore. I fix/deal with them all day and thats the LAST thing I want to do when I get home. I imagine the same would go for anything.

Exactly, which is why I dont use PC anymore. I fix/deal with them all day and thats the LAST thing I want to do when I get home. I imagine the same would go for anything.

I would never get bored or tired of playing with firearms and knives, even if that was my career job to do so. I could probably say the same for motorcycles, I like cars too but am not much of a car guy.

Mechanical engineering. Chose it because I'm a hands on type of guy. Get involved in a formula SAE, baja team, etc. if school has such teams. This gives opportunity to put some classroom theory to practical applications. Also highly recommend using a Co-Op program as well. Will give you a hands up upon graduation. And one on working making some decent scratch to fund this addictive hobby:).

I would never get bored or tired of playing with firearms and knives, even if that was my career job to do so. I could probably say the same for motorcycles, I like cars too but am not much of a car guy.

Ok, mostly anything. If I were racing cars or motorcycles for a job then hell yes I would do that, but if most of my time was spent fixing them, and for other people on top of that, I don't think I would enjoy cars and bike nearly as much.

Do not make your hobby your work. You will enjoy the hobby more if you keep the two seperate.

Trust me. :)

+1. I despise working or fixing on things anymore. Did it since I was very very young, my father had and has no strength in his hands, I was the mule.

If you can find you a trusted individual that will serve as a "mentor" during the next few years you will find navigating decisions like this will be much easier.

I have had several throughout my career, each one offered unbiased insightful advice.

mechanical/aerospace engineering. hands down. i was making six figures within 5 years in this discipline. if i could do it all over again, and do the things that you aspire, i would go to the IUPUI program in Motorsports Engineering. they have an undergraduate and graduate program. they set you up in the motorsports industry, give you the right education, and introduce you to all the people. remember, MMI gives you "training". programs like the one at IU is an "EDUCATION". training is easy, but to really master things that go fast, you need to understand the concepts of why and how they work, and give you the tools necessary to improve a design to to create your own. check it out: http://www.engr.iupui.edu/motorsports/

good luck!