Westland Mall gun show

Scruit

It seems that I'll be on hold for 5.56 and .223 for a while. I'm OK for now but its going to mean a lot less training on the rifles this year. Glad I got the Colt .22 M4 a couple months ago. DAMN! I need 980 rounds just to top off mags.... Looks like a lot of .22 this year.

gunshows are for selling, not buying

Not necessarily true, I bought a brand new Glock 26 at one for $60 off retail by starting a bidding war between 2 venders. Not a huge deal but only spent 5 or so minutes going between the 2 booths so it was worth it.

I'm glad I passed up all the crap at the gunshow yesterday. Today I made a trade and got an AK 47, all wood furniture, 1 10 round mag, 4 30 round mags, and a 40 round mag. Plus almost 1000 rounds of ammo. For what I had in my trade and taking account of the AK accessories, I got the rifle for $100!

I'm glad I passed up all the crap at the gunshow yesterday. Today I made a trade and got an AK 47, all wood furniture, 1 10 round mag, 4 30 round mags, and a 40 round mag. Plus almost 1000 rounds of ammo. For what I had in my trade and taking account of the AK accessories, I got the rifle for $100!

So you do realize that possessing that is illegal right and that you just announced it on a public forum?

Edited by flounder

So you do realize that possessing that is illegal right and that you just announced it on a public forum?

My reading of the law is that simple possession is not illegal, but inserting that magazine into the rifle makes the rifle into a "machine gun" or "dangerous ordnance", whether it's got +30 rounds in it or not. You CAN get a permit (ORC 2923.18).

My reading of the law is that simple possession is not illegal, but inserting that magazine into the rifle makes the rifle into a "machine gun" or "dangerous ordnance", whether it's got +30 rounds in it or not. You CAN get a permit (ORC 2923.18).

We've been through this before on here. While actual possession may or may not be illegal, youre trudging a slippery slope because you have the ability to "adapt" your rifle to hold more than 31 rounds" Same concept as an SBR. You cannot have a barrel of less than 16" without having an approved SBR permit if you have all the other parts as well to make a working AR.

You can have the barrel less than 16" but you cannot have all the other parts for the AR at the same time. technically if you have a lower and the 16" barrel, they can get you.

Yes you can get a permit, and "your" reading of the law doesnt mean anything since you are not an ATF agent, lawyer or LEO who would be enforcing.

When are people goign to learn that "your interpretation" of the law means exactly jack shit.

Edited by flounder
  • Upvote 1

Yes you can get a permit, and "your" reading of the law doesnt mean anything since you are not an ATF agent, lawyer or LEO who would be enforcing.

When are people goign to learn that "your interpretation" of the law means exactly jack shit.

Chill, dude. WTF did I do to you? :confused:

Also, David Gregory asked the ATF if the 30 round mag was ok to possess for his news report and they told him yes. Hope you don't expect us to trust the ATF as the oracle of all valid information.

Edited by Scruit

It's all in http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

(K) “Dangerous ordnance” means any of the following...

(1) Any automatic or sawed-off firearm, zip-gun, or ballistic knife;

(6) Any combination of parts that is intended by the owner for use in converting any firearm or other device into a dangerous ordnance.

So 40 round mag IN a semi auto rifle = automatic weapon = dangerous ordnance.

40 round mag for a semi auto rifle that you have in your possession = you may be charged for it if they feel they can prove you intended to use the magazine in that rifle within the state of Ohio.

Having said that, I have all the parts I need at my house to make all kinds of "dangerous ordnance", and so do most of the country. Can the prosecutors prove that there is an intent to do assemble said dangerous ordnance?

But don't forget, everything I say means exactly jack shit.

I found out after I got it that the 40 rounder is illegal so I traded it for a 30 round mag. Don't want anything illegal.

Safest would be to get rid of it.

Another option is to permanently convert it to 30 rounds or less. Any conversion would have to be reasonably irreversible, so a rivet or cross bolt that could easily be removed would be risky. Welding a block in place would be better. I've also heard of people filling the bottom of the mag with epoxy so that when it hardens it creates a new "floor" but that would make it difficult to clean.