Looking at new cars need thoughts.

oldschoolsdime92

Heres the deal guys...I am going to be in the market for a new vehicle. I was pretty well set on a new subi impreza, but I don't believe it will tow my trailer. I really like an outback as well, but I can't seem to find what I want for the price. Heres what I need.

4 doors

Tow 2000ish lbs.

preferably manual trans

decent fuel mileage.

$20,000 or less.

I would like to stay away from a fullsize truck due to the fuel mileage.

I currently have an extended cab 2005 chevy colorado ls sport. It does these things just fine, but I am at a point where I need 4 door.

What do you suggest?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get any of the subi's in a manual. I'm not dead set on a manual, just preferable.

Just trying to see what all is out there.

I'd bet you'd like the Outback H-6. I just got a Legacy 2.5i Limited last year and I love it. Definitely going to consider one of the newer Outbacks whenever our family eventually expands. Get the limited edition with winter package, very nice.

My 2012 6 banger outback will tow 3000 pounds. Gets 25-27 highway, 23 average. Would get closer to 30 if I drove flat roads. Towing gets 23 highway. No power issues for towing. It does great. 300 pound tongue weight. Tows two quads fine, a third would be no problem. Not a fan of the traction control. If you're stuck it limits wheel spin. Turn it off and off you go. Great car so far.

I guess I dont know just how much 2000lbs is. It seems like a big number for a smaller vehicle, I feel like trucks are rated at 2000 lbs of towing or is that maybe the rating for using the bumper to tow?

2000 lbs is my 6x10 trailer and 2 or 3 motorcycles depending on the bikes.

I pulled 2 bikes and a trailer around 2000lbs (ish) with a impala with no problems and still got 20 mpgs(30mps without towing). I could have towed more could not even tell it was there

Edited by 2talltim

Will the H-4 be enough power for towing all that? And a white limited? You and I will match ;-) The heated leather and harman/kardon systems are nice.

Edited by smashweights

I tow a 5x8 & 2 bikes with my Pontiac Grand prix.

Get between 21 & 23 depending on speed, as long as the trailer doesn't have a gate on it.

You should be fine with just about any 4 dr, as long as you can find that a proper hitch is available for that weight.

2000lbs is equivalent to 1 ton. :cool:

My six cylinder Nissan truck is rated for almost 6500lbs. The Nissan Titan is rated for almost 10' date='000lbs.[/quote']

My truck is rated to pull 7200 but that doesn't mean shit if you can only put 500 on the bumper. I think a realistic max on a bumper hitch without some trick load-leveling is probably about 7.5x rated tongue weight.

I tried towing a ~5500lb trailer once and failed miserably. :nono: