2 Apache Helicopters Engage a Platoon of Taliban

Gump

I assume in this video someone else has a better visual than what we saw in the video to identify. I think I heard sparkling et cetera. Except for the obvious platoon, I couldn't tell if it was a grandma, let alone a dude with a gun. Pretty damn impressive. I thought I saw a guy on a donkey or cow, then one animal looked as if it was stuck in the mud.

I want an Apache
Or Blackhawk, I'm not picky

Take the Apache, for sure. :D

And as for the poor 'ol Taliban, they came looking for a fight and we're giving them exactly what they've asked for.

Fuck 'em.

First off, I agree that we don't really need to be there conventionally.

Glad we're starting with some common ground

Yes, we would react the same way if we were invaded.

So you agree that we can't really "blame" these people, Taliban or not, for fighting back against a HUGE military giant that has essentially invaded their country? Without even debating whether or not our invasion was justified based on the 9/11 attack, what did we expect them to do when we showed up with infantry and helicopters? I could just as easily ask what they expected to happen when they flew aircraft into buildings. Justified or not, I think our military presence in Afghanistan and surrounding nations is doing America(ns) more harm than good at this point.

However, we are still there. Our job involves many different missions, most of which require moving in unsecured enemy territory. Any time a patrol (Mounted or otherwise) is moving outside the wire, a Hajji with a weapon is a direct threat to them.

I plainly said that I don't fault soldiers for following orders and completing missions. I find fault with the people giving the orders, and their motives. I can't explicitly say how far up the chain of command you have to go to say who is responsible, but I am certain it is well above those on the ground or in the air in that video.

I won't be shedding a single tear for what is done to secure our forces so we can CM and eventually get home.

I'm not crying over anyone who died there - I just think it's silly that our troops were there to be attacked in the first place. A decade ago, I wouldn't have thought so, but now it's quite clear to me that that region will NEVER be "secure," and thus our troops are never coming home. The notion that we can kill all the people who hate America without making even more people hate America is the flawed logic that perpetuates the problem.

Yeah, not really. We're pulling out next year, and only leaving some trainers and advisers.

I'll believe it when I see it.

and how many is "some?"

IF Obama actually holds to his word and pulls out the majority of our forces, how long do you think it will be before there's a large-scale organized attack on the forces that remain? I give it 2 years, max. Then we'll respond with force, and be right back where we are now.

Just pull everyone out, and stop trying to fix a country that is full of problems that aren't our responsibility.

24 hour warning: "weather forecast for tomorrow, 3,000 degrees and sunny". We would, of course, mass-evacuate all U.S. assets (read: soldiers) with time to spare, and give Israel a week's notice, but only as they keep the news on the down-low.

Use neutron bombs - a lot less infrastructure destroyed that way.

2 new U.S. states created, East Virgina and East Carolina.

Gas back down to 20 cents/gallon.

The entire region has done nothing except bicker with each other/the rest of the world for the past 1,000+ years - they're never going to like each other or play nicely with the other kids on the playground, so it's time to say "eff 'em".

(the above is mostly wishful thinking).

wiki leaks had one up of them shooting some innocent people just standing on the corner and a van with 2 kids in it.

nice work guys!

every tv station/network in the world had videos of them crashing planes into twin office buildings, a major defense department office building, and a field in Pennsylvania, killing 3,000+ men, women, and children.

nice work guys!

• Upvote 2

I'll believe it when I see it.

and how many is "some?"

IF Obama actually holds to his word and pulls out the majority of our forces, how long do you think it will be before there's a large-scale organized attack on the forces that remain? I give it 2 years, max. Then we'll respond with force, and be right back where we are now.

Just pull everyone out, and stop trying to fix a country that is full of problems that aren't our responsibility.

It's in a written agreement with the GIROA, I don't think Obama really has a choice. We're drawing down already, and so are our coalition partners.

The status of forces agreement isn't finalized as far as a number goes, but if I had to guess, I'd say less than 5000. And not forever. Or, it could go the way it did in Iraq, and we'll just leave altogether. But we won't be there indefinitely, like we have been in Europe and Japan (who want us there, btw).

wiki leaks had one up of them shooting some innocent people just standing on the corner and a van with 2 kids in it.

nice work guys!

You have no idea what you're looking at, and neither does wikileaks.

Civilian impressions of military activities are always spot on accurate. Civilian arm chair quarterbacks always have all the facts, know the background, and the context of each engagement. You definitely understand the mindset of our young men and women that have volunteered to put themselves in harms way for your benefit. The military values your opinion very much.

:bow:

Seems like some of us are going to have to agree to disagree on this. My final thought:

Most of the people supporting US occupation of the Middle East are quick to question Uncle Sam's motives and judgment in virtually any other situation, but not here? I'd urge some more introspective consideration in that.

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?...I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep...and you curse...You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know...And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

• Upvote 3

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?...I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep...and you curse...You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know...And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

x2

Once again......how is our freedom here protected by us being over there? Hooray.....we finally killed the one individual that was enemy #1, guarantee he has already been replaced. You cannot win against animals and subhumans like them, they are like cockroaches and too many Americans and allies have died for what gain? A few tactical nukes are the only long term solution, otherwise leave them alone on their turf. Let Israel deal with them, they are quite capable.

You have no idea what you're looking at, and neither does wikileaks.

Have you even looked at how Wikileaks verifies its data? There's no way that they DON'T know what they're looking at.

Once again......how is our freedom here protected by us being over there? Hooray.....we finally killed the one individual that was enemy #1, guarantee he has already been replaced. You cannot win against animals and subhumans like them, they are like cockroaches and too many Americans and allies have died for what gain? A few tactical nukes are the only long term solution, otherwise leave them alone on their turf. Let Israel deal with them, they are quite capable.

I agree with this. It's like expecting our country to fail if the president was killed.

Yeah, I do want soldiers "on the walls", but only when there's a need to be. There's not right now, and the deaths happening shouldn't be.

Oorah Jack!

Young guy movie knowledge fail.

I figured he hadn't made that up himself considering the "Son," but figured he meant the meaning at least. :p

I've seen Breakfast Club, so doesn't that automatically make me cultured?

• Upvote 1

I figured he hadn't made that up himself considering the "Son," but figured he meant the meaning at least. :p

I've seen Breakfast Club, so doesn't that automatically make me cultured?

It's a great start.

^^ John Bender wanted to be an Airforce Ranger, so that is a start of potential service. :)

I have not served, but glad the men and women are protecting this country. As for the video, I am impressed with the persicion the helicopters have.

• Upvote 1