AR parts ? Rear sight and optics.

idodishez

Anything to be cautious of when getting a rear sight? Any reason not to just eBay it?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150968235961

I'm totally new to AR's. What should I look for when looking for optics? The prices seem to be all over the place. What are the different features to keep in mind?

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

Lots and lots of options for mods out there. Only put on what you'll really use.

BUIS are a necessity IMO.

Red Dots (EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Meprolight) are good for 100m-200m engagements.

Magnifiers make Red Dots function out to 300m with very limited vision.

Fixed magnifications (Trijicon ACOG, etc.) are good for 300m+.

Variable magnifications I have minimal experience with. They are versatile, but require focusing to shoot.

Fore grip is nice for stabilizing while standing.

Lights, lasers, etc. Only if you have a need for it.

I would say stay away from the cheap $20 china made sights, for both the irons and red dots. We just had a few threads on here about the same things. I ended up with a magpul mbus gen 2 rear sight, and the midwest industries front sight. very happy with both. As for the red dot I have a vortex strikefire red dot. I am very happy with the red dot for the money I will say that the aimpoint dot is clearer then mine but not that much more for double the price.

You'll want reliable BUIS if it's a SHTF situation. I wouldn't want to rely on Magupl for my back ups.

When coming to an optic you have a lot that goes into your overall choice.

What is it being used for? What ranges will you be shooting it at? Does added weight to your rifle matter to you? Do you want magnification? Is this your go to rifle for a bug out situation?

With the Eotech and Aimpoint systems some people say you can shoot what you see if you have good vision. Like stated above they're good out to about 200m, maybe more if you're a good shooter.

I'm not a fan of a magnifier. It's one more piece of equipment to worry about. If you want magnification get something that is variable like the Leupold CQ/T. If that's out of price then look at the Burris MTAC. That's my opinion on it.

I haven't used a fixed magnification like a Triji before, but on my Burris at 3x magnification I feel I could use it for CQ with 2 eyes open without it bothering me much.

Overall you get what you pay for when it comes to optics. I spent 300 to put something on mine that I was okay with for the time being while I save for the optic I really want.

I use a Meprolight M21 reflex on my CQB rifle. Fiber/Tritium so no batteries. I also prefer not to use a magnifier. View feels very confined.

BUIS - Troy, LWRC, ARMS are all good. Use gas block height sights on railed gas blocks. Magpul will get the job done, but it is definitely second tier.

ACOGs are wonderful. Good magnification for distance but still usable for closer. Having an iron sight or reflex mounted on the ACOG is the best of both worlds. However they are also very expensive.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Wow. Sooo many terms over my head:). Lots to look at and research. Thanks guys.

Looked a little at Point Blank and Miami Armory yesterday too. Neither had a rear sight with the carry handle, but they DID have an AR-15 golf ball launcher. WTF is that?

Any of the local pros have an opinion on this scope? I started looking for a cheap rifle scope in lieu of a spotting scope for 100yd range play. Once again main goal is to see .22 holes in white paper at 100yds, any performance beyond that is a bonus.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

P.S. Anybody have any experience with this one?: http://www.falconoptics.com/4-14x44FFP.php

Based on initial reviews I read on the internet the Primary Arms one is slightly better quality at a slightly lower price point.

P.P.S. Any comparable recommendations also appreciated.

Edited by brn6604
P.S.

Wow. Sooo many terms over my head:). Lots to look at and research. Thanks guys.

Looked a little at Point Blank and Miami Armory yesterday too. Neither had a rear sight with the carry handle, but they DID have an AR-15 golf ball launcher. WTF is that?

Optic - Sighting device. Normally refers to reflex, scopes, etc.

Reflex/Red Dot - Displays a reticule on a single pane. No magnification, but very fast to acquire target.

Scope - Fixed or variable magnification in a tube design. Good for target identification and shot placement at distance. Slow to acquire.

Eye relief - Distance your eye has to be away from the sight to view properly through it.

BUIS - Back Up Iron Sights - Flip up iron sights to use as a secondary sighting source if primary optic fails.

Co-witness - When the BUIS line up directly with the optic. Allows BUIS to be used during a primary failure without removing the primary optic.

Fiber Optic - Used to collect light during the day to power illuminated reticules.

Tritium - Form of hydrogen gas that glows in low-light conditions. Used to illuminate sights at night. Has a half-life of ~7 years, after which the sights dim.

CQ/CQB/CQC - Close range combat. (Close Quarters, Close Quarters Battle, Close Quarters Combat)

ACOG - Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight, made by Trijicon. Low power scopes powered by Fiber/Tritium.

Brands - EOTech, Aimpoint, LWRCI, Meprolight, Trijicon, etc.

Was the golf ball launcher mounted underneath the barrel in a tube? If so it was a form of the M203 40mm grenade launcher.

• Upvote 1

Any of the local pros have an opinion on this scope? I started looking for a cheap rifle scope in lieu of a spotting scope for 100yd range play. Once again main goal is to see .22 holes in white paper at 100yds, any performance beyond that is a bonus.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

P.S. Anybody have any experience with this one?: http://www.falconoptics.com/4-14x44FFP.php

Based on initial reviews I read on the internet the Primary Arms one is slightly better quality at a slightly lower price point.

P.P.S. Any comparable recommendations also appreciated.

My buddy uses one of the PAs and we've never had a problem with it. But shooting .22lr to 100yds is pretty easy and not too scope specific.

Optic - Sighting device. Normally refers to reflex, scopes, etc.

Reflex/Red Dot - Displays a reticule on a single pane. No magnification, but very fast to acquire target.

Scope - Fixed or variable magnification in a tube design. Good for target identification and shot placement at distance. Slow to acquire.

Eye relief - Distance your eye has to be away from the sight to view properly through it.

BUIS - Back Up Iron Sights - Flip up iron sights to use as a secondary sighting source if primary optic fails.

Co-witness - When the BUIS line up directly with the optic. Allows BUIS to be used during a primary failure without removing the primary optic.

Fiber Optic - Used to collect light during the day to power illuminated reticules.

Tritium - Form of hydrogen gas that glows in low-light conditions. Used to illuminate sights at night. Has a half-life of ~7 years, after which the sights dim.

CQ/CQB/CQC - Close range combat. (Close Quarters, Close Quarters Battle, Close Quarters Combat)

ACOG - Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight, made by Trijicon. Low power scopes powered by Fiber/Tritium.

Brands - EOTech, Aimpoint, LWRCI, Meprolight, Trijicon, etc.

Was the golf ball launcher mounted underneath the barrel in a tube? If so it was a form of the M203 40mm grenade launcher.

Wow. Awesome info. Thanks! Very helpful.

So is a front sight used in conjunction with all the options, or just the BUIS?

My AP4 came w front sight only, and just trying to decide best route for rear.

From what I could tell and what I found on u tube it screws on the end of the barrel

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jgGAlYPPXIQ&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjgGAlYPPXIQ%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Wow. Awesome info. Thanks! Very helpful.

So is a front sight used in conjunction with all the options, or just the BUIS?

My AP4 came w front sight only, and just trying to decide best route for rear.

The front sight is half of the BUIS. There is a front and a rear sight that you line up.

Some rifles come with a gas block (The thing under your front sight) that has a Picatinny rail in place of the fixed front sight. This allows a clear FOV (Field of Vision) for optics, while still letting the operator mount a flip-up BUIS for SHTF situations.

The iron sights do not have to match, but they do have to line up properly. The front sight has to work with the rear for a good sight picture.

Just the BUIS. A related question: is a standard FSB going to be in the way if I use a scope with a comfortable mounting height?

The standard FSB should not get in the way unless you have a really short gas tube. You likely will end up having to mount the scope to co-witness the FSB in order to get a comfortable cheek weld.

You can also replace the FSB with a railed gas block.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided on this after seeing at Gander Mntn.

http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/ultra-dual-shot-pro-spec-sm14003

But then changed to this instead. http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_bushnell/uk/produits/al/riflescopes/banner/713949i/

Went with this on our AR and its good equip to start with and not bust your wallet. Paid $80 for a tri color 30mm and another $20 for a short riser.

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=30200?company=TGI

Now, the difference is your FSB is fixed whereas ours has a flat top gasblock to mount a flip-up inline or ( and I'm still researching this option ) rapid transition BUIS - meaning they are offset about 45 degrees from your optic's line of sight so you dont acquire through your optic, but instead tilt the rifle to sight it around the red dot or scope. Appeals to me since its quicker/easier to change up between the 2 should the optic fail or for different ranges.

I have my mind set on the Matech rear and an MI front, just haven't placed the order because I'm debating the RTS setup.....in which case I dont see the need for flip-ups?