Racing Health Insurance

grant8605

Soooo...... I have posted about this in the past, and not really gotten things figured out.

A little backstory:

I have done a fair amount of track days over the past 4 seasons, and wanted to try my hand at actual racing. I went to Nelson Ledges for school and to get my certification so that I could do some Motoseries rounds and hopefully vintage days at Mid-O (I'm and SV guy). It was my first time at Nelson and third lap 'round I went wide out of the carousel and long story short, ended up with a $71,000 collar bone.

It's my understanding that I am lucky in that I did this during a track day practice session, so I was covered under my normal health insurance policy. It's also my understanding (and someone please correct me if I don't have accurate info) that I were to have done this, say, during a race on Sunday that I would not have been covered and had to foot the bill, putting me MASSIVELY in debt.

I have been looking around at supplemental insurance like AFLAC, but the policies they offer wouldn't have even come close to covering my last accident, if it were to have happened on Sunday.

So what do you guys that race do? Is there something I am missing/don't know about? Do you have supplemental insurance? I would much appreciate any input or opinions and thanks for your time in advance.

Have you asked your insurance company if they cover racing? From what I've read (in like five minutes of looking), some do and some don't. You just have to ask (and be sure to get the name and info of the person who told you).

Tips for track riding. NEVER take the bambalance, drive or find someone to take you. If you insurance doesn't cover it AFLAC is about the only other option out there or you were never at the track when it happened.
That freaking tree on the mountain bike trail jumped out of NOWHERE.

Tips for track riding. NEVER take the bambalance, drive or find someone to take you. If you insurance doesn't cover it AFLAC is about the only other option out there or you were never at the track when it happened.

AFLAC doesnt cover it, at least my rep said that if its a sponsored event they wont help.

I'm with the others but what if for some reason u need life flighted or something.

Try this guy. Advertises over on the WERA forum. Heard good things about him.

http://ridersurance.com/

For SandG I am emailing for a rider package quote. F it, I owe that to the wife. I'm more than covered with life insurance from work and my outside policy, but health, probably wouldn't get covered, unless I fell from a tree...

Looks like ambulance and copter coverage along with all the other stuff is 390 a year, take away ambulance and copter, and keep the rest 240. That ONLY covered the life flight and ambulance. That does not include any of the actual health or supplemental health insurance.

Wowsers, had no idea it all costs that much.

Edited by madcat6183

I did what I really didn't want to do and called my Ins Co. to ask point blank what is covered (they logged the call, and what it was about for "future reference"), which I had been avoiding. We all know each Ins Co is different, and they all have different plans, but my particular one covers any type of crash, as long as I'm not getting paid to race. I hope this is the norm, for everyone else's sake. I don't think getting paid to race is gonna be an issue for me :p I really appreciate everyone's input, and the link. I would hate to know what a heli ride costs, and am gonna get in contact. Thanks!!!!

I did what I really didn't want to do and called my Ins Co. to ask point blank what is covered (they logged the call, and what it was about for "future reference"), which I had been avoiding. We all know each Ins Co is different, and they all have different plans, but my particular one covers any type of crash, as long as I'm not getting paid to race. I hope this is the norm, for everyone else's sake. I don't think getting paid to race is gonna be an issue for me :p I really appreciate everyone's input, and the link. I would hate to know what a heli ride costs, and am gonna get in contact. Thanks!!!!

Sounds awesome. I'd have them send you the list of exclusions in writing if you don't have that already just to know for sure. I have an add-on accident policy that the woman on the phone assured me would cover anything other than getting hurt during the commission of a felony. Sure enough when I got it officially in the mail racing is excluded. I emailed back asking if they had anything that actually covered racing and never got a response.

This thread is like most I have seen on the subject. When you ask most racers about their medical coverage all you get is "Huh?" I've seen the whole change-into-street-clothes-and-tell-them-you-crashed-your-bicycle, but that's not always possible. Not to mention insurance companies are pretty aggressive these days and if you race a barstool at the county fair your name ends up in a results sheet on the internet.

might want to look at a disability policy as well. I am licensed in Ohio, it definitely is a big deal, I personally put the disability above the supp. health coverage. If you can't work for an extended period then you would make zero money to even pay those co-pays. Once you have all the extra responsibilities of wife/family/career/house, this insurance stuff is a big deal with the dangerous hobbies we all enjoy.

.... get "list of exclusions".... check.

.... look into supplemental disability..... check.

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. Most people's responses on this subject (on this site and others) are crass and uninformative. This was really productive. You guys rock!!!!!!