Bob's Cycle Supply helmet purchase (UGH)...

8Rider6

So, I'd been hunting for EXO 1000 helmets I could still pick up new. I found one on "closeout" in stock on their website (last one left) and ordered it Sunday...

"It" arrived today. It was in an EXO-1000 box, but the box looked a little old... Opened it, it was inside the Scorpion bag. Inside was an EXO-500... However, the sticker on the back is curled up along the edges and it says EXO-1000 with the 1000's SNELL and DOT approvals...

So, it's obvious they purposely tried to "hide" an EXO-500 as an EXO-1000 which I paid $270 for... The 500's are $200 new, WITHOUT the seller tampering with them...

I called and they said return it, include the shipping receipt and they'll refund me the purchase price as well as shipping...

Now I've done a little research and it looks like the EXO-500 is actually a better version of the 1000, better ventilation, lighter weight... However it's just ECE and DOT approved... I wanted to the EXO-1000 to double as my street and track helmet if/when I get into track days.

Now I'm thinking I'll just get the 500 and get another helmet specifically for tracking. So, do I call and say "refund me $100 and I'll keep it." ? They're $200 retail, I feel like it should be at least $20 less since I don't even have the right box, they messed up the sticker etc, OR should I say fuck it, get my refund and buy the EXO-500 elsewhere? After this, I feel like I really shouldn't give them any of my money, but it's just a PITA having to ship it back and wait for a refund.

Screw that, I'd take pics of the helmet with the stickers on it, and the receipt showing it was for a 1000 and demand store credit... Then get the 1000 for free and if they don't, report them to the BBB. That crap pisses me off when a company tries to 'F' their customers.

Screw that, I'd take pics of the helmet with the stickers on it, and the receipt showing it was for a 1000 and demand store credit... Then get the 1000 for free and if they don't, report them to the BBB. That crap pisses me off when a company tries to 'F' their customers.

Yeah, I'm definitely pretty angry about it. You mean demand store credit WITHOUT returning it? I'm a little doubtful they'd do that.

You're going to need a Snell 2005 or newer to do trackdays with most orgs....fyi.

I know... The 1000 is Snell 2005. I'm thinking I'll probably return it, then either get an EXO-500, or 1100 for the street, and something like a BELL Vortex for the track, or maybe just get a BELL Vortex now, the Vortex is Snell M2010.

Yeah, I'm definitely pretty angry about it. You mean demand store credit WITHOUT returning it? I'm a little doubtful they'd do that.

No, they wouldn't do that, I meant return it and demand a free 1000 but if they are THAT shady, I'm sure they will just tell you SOL. So, I'd document it and report them... Nothing else, do a bunch of reviews on their site warning other buyers of their shitty ways.

Return it for a full refund and buy a better lid through one of our sponsor vendors. Scorpion is ok' date=' but I'd bet one of our guys can get you into a nicer helmet for that money. You paid more for that Scorpion than I paid for my Arai.[/quote']

Nice, how do I go about doing this? The reason I was interested in the Scorpions to begin with is the internal sun visor... Plus I've tried them on at Iron Pony and they fit me pretty well.

Right now I'm using an HJC Symax-2 (bought used from a co-worker for $50, so I can't complain) which fits well and has an internal sun visor, but it's modular, and quite noisy. I'd prefer just a solid full face helmet that's quieter.

The Bell Vortex or Bell Star have some appeal because of the SOLFX transition visor, you basically wouldn't need a flip down sun visor at all then. I don't know if Arai has something similar...

My helmet size is XL, and my shape is more oval than round.

I already took photographs of the helmet, sticker, my receipt and everything, it's in the box right now. I'll drop it off before or after work tomorrow... Was excited to have a new helmet to use to ride Saturday.

I switched from Arai over to a Bell Star and couldn't be happier. It has more wind noise but I wear earplugs anyway so that didn't matter much to me, but the venting is really good.

I didnt think there was a noisier helmet that an Arai. Mine is noisy as HELL!!

Hmm, I think I tried sending a PM.... Not sure if it worked. It's not in my sent box, but then I tried to send another and it says I can only send 1 every 120 minutes. Do I need more posts before I can actually PM? I would have though I'd have received a notification if that were the case.

Shipped it back for a refund. They should receive it tomorrow, hopefully I'll be getting my refund without a hassle...

In the meantime, I went to Iron Pony over the weekend to look at and try on some other helmets...

Their helmet guy was very helpful. Ended up walking out with an HJC CL-16 in matte black. I knew I was probably going to order something online through a board sponsor, but figured for the convenience they provided for being able to try things on and their staff helping me, I should get something, and you can't get a CL-16 much cheaper online (maybe $20-30 less). The pinlock anti-fog system on the CL-16 is pretty awesome. Took a ride Saturday and enjoyed the helmet much more than my Sy-Max II.

While I was there I also tried on some others and I loved the Bell RS-1. When I tried that on, I felt like it fit perfectly... I contact Nathan at Riders Discount and just placed an order for one along with the transition visor. One of the guys at Iron Pony said the Bells fit more round shape heads, but I definitely have more of an oval shape and the RS-1 felt great... The Nolan N-85 and RF-1100 did not fit my head at all.

My Bell RS-1 arrived today from Riders Discount... I couldn't resist taking a ride and trying it out so I bundled up and took a short 25 min ride tonight (hippo hands, jeans under mercury 2 pants, balaclava, etc). Awesome helmet at a great price.

The only negative thing I can say was at the temperature, it did "fog" up... I have the photochromatic lens on it, so I'm not sure if it's different but it didn't really seem to fog up in a traditional sense, it looked more like everything would defocus instead of the visor clouding up if that makes sense. Didn't try the standard visor yet.

Unless I can find (or possibly make my own) a pinlock visor for the RS-1, I may be more likely to use the CL-16 for colder weather, but the RS-1 overall I definitely like much more... I think it's the first helmet where I could almost forget I was wearing one. Very comfortable, amazing visibility... At one point when I came to a stop a questioned if I had the visor down because it was that clear.

8, try the regular visor. Both the regular AND the Bell photo shield are SUPPOSED to be treated with Bell's anti-fog. Not sure why the photo would do what you described. Pinlock is currently NOT making anything for Bell products at this time. Shoei, Nolan, Arai, HJC, KBC, Scorpion and some Euro brands yes, but Bell hasn't made the list yet. Might have to do some shield engineering and make it work!!