Slower Traffic Keep Right -- Enforcement???

JackFlash

I drive about 50k miles per year and deal with this everyday I'm on the road for work. I typically do 10% over the posted speed limit but I will run faster if it means not holding up the flow of traffic until I can safely get out of their way.

I use the left lane to pass only, speed up if someone is rolling up on my ass doing 80 (happens a lot, it's annoying and unsafe but you can't fix stupid), and do my best to avoid getting behind the no-brainers who will inevitably clog up the hammer lane doing at or just over the speed limit. They're really not that hard to identify and if it means passing on the right to get around them, so be it.

I consider this and all your other comments in this thread hypocritical.

You ride above your head on every group ride. Exceed the speed limit on every ride trying play catch up like a newb only to run off the road in the next corner and or plain out crash due completely to exsessive speed. Then to come on here and ash the group for going to fast when you were the only douche to crash. How many group rides have you had a fuck up on? Oh that's right all of them. And now you want to stand on a soap box about speed? Really? You're a Fucktard.

With all due respect and shit

:eek:

You ride above your head on every group ride. Exceed the speed limit on every ride trying play catch up like a newb only to run off the road in the next corner and or plain out crash due completely to exsessive speed. Then to come on here and ash the group for going to fast when you were the only douche to crash. How many group rides have you had a fuck up on? Oh that's right all of them. And now you want to stand on a soap box about speed? Really? You're a Fucktard.

Why don't you tell him how you really feel.... :D

• Upvote 1

:eek:

Thanks Nick for quoting that, so I could see that MT did indeed provide insightful and inaccurate information :rolleyes:

Not sure where he get's his facts from. I have never wrecked my bike. Dropped it once by myself. NEVER wrecked.

But I digress, I have him blocked for a reason, I simply don't care about anything he has to say.

So I won't bother to acknowledge his pointless childish rants even if seen via a quote.

Carry on. :popcorn:

Edited by SWing'R

Thanks Nick for quoting that' date=' so I could see that MT did indeed provide insightful and inaccurate information :rolleyes:

Not sure where he get's his facts from. I have never wrecked my bike. Dropped it once. NEVER wrecked.

But I digress, I have him blocked for a reason, I simply don't care about anything he has to say.

So I won't bother to acknowledge his pointless childish rants even if seen via a quote.

Carry on.[/quote']

:lol: wait what? Where I get my facts? I was there dipshit. Running off the road is a crash. You've done it on the 600 and your scooter! In group rides so Im not the only one that was there jackass. Every time due to excessive speed. Hell the scooter one was a 15mph corner and you even fucked that up. You've even posted about a couple of them on here and now deny it? You should be a political figure. Fuck the last one "that I'm aware of" because nobody rides with you anymore. Your excessive speed then oh shit brake check took out Moose. Then in a total dick move you called the squad and police showed for a report and got him a ticket. Ballsy to deny shit that many know about. You are a fucking tool.

All due respect and shit

I KNEW IT!!! I knew he had to be a hypocrite!!! Awesome!!! It never ceases to amaze me when we get into these speeding topics that there are people that come on and act like they are perfect and equally capable as drivers and riders. Usually, those are the ones that have a LOT less ability to do such things and therefore cannot or SHOULD NOT.

As for Swing's comments on it being legal to speed to pass, huh??? Tell me that rule because speeding is speeding, my friend. If you go typically under 7-10 mph over the limit, you usually never get pinched. But, if you pass and are exceeding the limit over 10 mph which would be most likely, you will get pinched. Trust me, I know...

Before you get rolling on a response, understand I get the idea that you can pass under the 7-10 mph over idea. Yes, you can pass a guy going 53 mph and do it at 55mph or slightly over. You'd take a state to do it and probably never pass because you never get that long a stretch of road flat and visible enough to pull it off...

The fact is that with Todd's comments and facts after being around you riding, you are pretty much exempt from comments. Totally what I expected... Totally.

• Upvote 1

Gotta start somewhere. It never works when assholes are out there running up everyones ass at 75.

Most that approach you to pass are not doing 75. They simply want to travel a little faster than you are going and they wish you safe travels at the speed you desire in the lane on the right.

You'd be surprised at how less stressful highway driving is when you set your cruise control at 67mph get in the middle lane and relax.

Stress levels of others are not your concern. Mind your own.

You're probably one of the first people to bitch about getting a speeding ticket too. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

That's an invalid assumption. I rarely get speeding tickets. There are years between them and when I get one' date=' I know I've been caught fairly, usually. I don't drive like a madman. I just want to go a little quicker without someone camping out in the passing lane needlessly.[/color']

It's kind of funny that you want Law Enforcement to HELP you speed? Kinda have a double standard there don't ya buddy

You must have missed the point. I want traffic to flow freely at a pace which will not needlessly fluctuate because a vehicle in the passing lane will not pass.

I ride 70-72 in the fast lane and when someone rides my ass I slow down just to piss them off. Yep I'm an asshole like that

I don't need to ride your ass at that speed because you are passing the same cars I am trying to get around and even if you stay in the left lane' date=' and I need to get around you, I will buzz by on your right, but it's not likely I will have a need to travel much quicker than that. But, you are still creating a problem by living in the left lane if you are not clearing it for faster traffic when it is safe for you to do so. It's just rude.[/color']

...I will not go out of my way to excessively speed to get out of the left lane just to appease you.

That is not what is being asked of you. I agree with you.

If I have ventured into the left lane to pass a slower vehicle and you happen to run up my ass while I'm doing it I will indeed get over' date=' but I will get over at my own safe pace, you can wait until I've made my pass and am ready to get back over. [/quote']

I'll keep my distance and not pressure you, for a while. If I see you are not progressing after a mile, and you seem to have taken up residence beside another vehicle, I'll put you on my idiot list and move a little closer and give a flash or two of my lights so you are aware there is another person wishing to use your lane just for a brief moment to get somewhere quicker.

I drive for a living. It is probably 70% of my job description. I've probably logged more highway miles than anyone on this site' date=' unless they are a commercial truck driver. My clean driving record is important to my career. My work vehicle speed is gps tracked and logged. My concern is not that fact that you want to exceed the speed limit. I will indeed do my best to be courteous to other drivers on the road, and I will get out of your way, when I can do so in a safe manner without violating the safe driving regulations set forth by my employer. My safety, and my job, are more important than your need for speed. [/quote']

I can appreciate that. I used to drive for a living in different situations, also. It's not the professional drivers that seem to be the problem. They are much better trained than that and much more courteous and considerate, and especially since they make their living driving, much, much more aware of their's and everyone elses driving. But, when you are in your personal vehicle, that's another story all together. You don't need to be a dick about other people needing to pass and you don't need to purposely take all day to finally creep far enough ahead to mosey into the right lane to allow someone else to use a lane you think you own.

I'm not accusing you of this. I'm saying doing this can get you a lot of middle fingers in your direction.

• Upvote 1

if i'm on the highway for an hour + trek, I set the cruise at 70~ and keep to the right, i kick it up to 80, 85 to get around someone, then coast back down to my set speed. If I'm passing someone and someone gets on my @ss, they can wait until I pass, because i'm gettin' over as soon as i can.

can't stand left lane bandits.

it's (un)common courtesy.

As for Swing's comments on it being legal to speed to pass, huh??? Tell me that rule because speeding is speeding, my friend. If you go typically under 7-10 mph over the limit, you usually never get pinched. But, if you pass and are exceeding the limit over 10 mph which would be most likely, you will get pinched. Trust me, I know...

Trust me I know. I've been pulled over by a State Trooper on Rt4 outside of Bucyrus for speeding, I had just passed a slower vehicle and had not fully slowed down yet. I explained that to the officer. He let me go. I remember seeing a quote about this in the driving manual many years ago, I can't seem to find the same thing in the "current" one, but trust me, it is doable.

The fact is that with Todd's comments and facts after being around you riding, you are pretty much exempt from comments. Totally what I expected... Totally.

MT's comments are not facts. I have never wrecked my bike, alone or on any OR ride. I have gone off the road surface and was able to pull back on without incident on a couple occasions, that is not a wreck. And I don't believe I have ever rode with you.

i make increasingly wild gestures while i'm parked behind some left lane camping ass clown.

it starts with a pleasant and winning smile, with a small, but visible gesture with me pointing to the right lane

which gets upgraded to my hand raised just under my eye level, with a big "get over to the right" sweep of the left hand. almost stabbing my wife in the face at this point. still smiling, but with more sarcasm which is surely palpable through their rear view

which leads to both my arms, flailing maniacally from left towards ceiling towards the right, like some deranged half clock. my face is twisted in rage, and my face is more red than the brake lights they're blasting in my face from violent brake checking maneuvers. at this point, i have beaten my wife unconsciously from my furious gesticulating by this point in time.

they finally move over, 14 miles later, and i blow by them waving so enthusiastically that I have, once again, dislocated my shoulder.

First of all' date=' get your facts straight if you want to discuss this. [u']It IS perfectly legal to exceed the posted speed limit in order to pass another vehicle.

Show us the ORC

I will indeed do my best to be courteous to other drivers on the road, and I will get out of your way, when I can do so in a safe manner without violating the safe driving regulations set forth by my employer. My safety, and my job, are more important than your need for speed.

that's weird, this doesn't seem very safe:

Okay' date=' the funniest damn thing just happened to me while driving Northbound

on 23 leaving Cirlcleville headin back to Cbus.

Let me set this up for you....

I'm NB on 23, speed limit is 55, I'm in the LEFT lane with the cruise set @ 60.

There are two cars in the RIGHT lane up ahead that I am slowly but surely catching up to.

I notice a silver car coming up behind me, it gets right up on my ass, had to be under a foot from my bumper.

Now, I hate tailgaters, and I had no intention of moving over for this guy, I did however plan to get over AFTER

passing the two cars in the right lane.

Here's where the fun happens. Out of the blue, the last car in the right lane comes over into the left,

puts his signal on and starts to slow down, he's gonna make a left at one of the turnoffs ahead.

The guy behind me is so far up my ass, there is no way he saw this guy get over in front of me.

Soooo (can you see where this is going) :D

I did not slow down and at the LAST available second before I plowed into the guy turning,

I put my signal on and quickly changed lanes ;)

I looked in my sideview mirror, and saw smoke coming from the tires of the asshole that was behind me!

He must have missed plowin that guy by inches! :lol:

I stayed in the right lane and the guy eventually passed me, he gave me a dirty look,

but I was laughing hysterically which pissed him off even more and he sped away.

This was probably one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me

in all my years of driving work vans. I couldn't have set this up any better.

Ahhhh, back to work.[/quote']

from this thread: http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=70824

Stop trying to teach others a lesson before you kill someone

I was talking about my own stress levels. People get all angry and upset when someone slows them down. That's my point, by setting my cruise at 67 and hanging in the middle lane the drive is less stressful, for me. That also takes out the anxiety or concern of a speeding ticket. Stress free driving ;)

I can appreciate that. I used to drive for a living in different situations, also. It's not the professional drivers that seem to be the problem. They are much better trained than that and much more courteous and considerate, and especially since they make their living driving, much, much more aware of their's and everyone elses driving. But, when you are in your personal vehicle, that's another story all together. You don't need to be a dick about other people needing to pass and you don't need to purposely take all day to finally creep far enough ahead to mosey into the right lane to allow someone else to use a lane you think you own.

I'm not accusing you of this. I'm saying doing this can get you a lot of middle fingers in your direction.

My driving habits are the same in my personal vehicle as well as my work vehicle, to a degree. For the most part I don't speed too much in my personal car either, the biggest difference is my speed is not being tracked by my anyone, my record however, even when driving my personal vehicle is still relevant since any tickets I get, personal or work related, are held against me at work because I drive a company vehicle.

Trust me I know. I've been pulled over by a State Trooper on Rt4 outside of Bucyrus for speeding' date=' I had just passed a slower vehicle and had not fully slowed down yet. I explained that to the officer. He let me go. I remember seeing a quote about this in the driving manual many years ago, I can't seem to find the same thing in the "current" one, but trust me, it is doable.[/quote']

As I mentioned above, I can't find it in the current BMV handbook but I know it was in it in a previous version, I remember reading it,

and I've quoted it to a OSHP officer before and got out of a ticket. It appears to have since been removed.

Most that approach you to pass are not doing 75. They simply want to travel a little faster than you are going and they wish you safe travels at the speed you desire in the lane on the right.

That's an invalid assumption. I rarely get speeding tickets. There are years between them and when I get one, I know I've been caught fairly, usually. I don't drive like a madman. I just want to go a little quicker without someone camping out in the passing lane needlessly.

You must have missed the point. I want traffic to flow freely at a pace which will not needlessly fluctuate because a vehicle in the passing lane will not pass.

I don't need to ride your ass at that speed because you are passing the same cars I am trying to get around and even if you stay in the left lane, and I need to get around you, I will buzz by on your right, but it's not likely I will have a need to travel much quicker than that. But, you are still creating a problem by living in the left lane if you are not clearing it for faster traffic when it is safe for you to do so. It's just rude.

That is not what is being asked of you. I agree with you.

I'll keep my distance and not pressure you, for a while. If I see you are not progressing after a mile, and you seem to have taken up residence beside another vehicle, I'll put you on my idiot list and move a little closer and give a flash or two of my lights so you are aware there is another person wishing to use your lane just for a brief moment to get somewhere quicker.

You must not have seen my later posts.... I'm with you on this I hate people lounging in the fast lanes. I do however tend to ride in the fast lane at night on the bike but move over when I see cars approaching just for avoiding the critters