Fathers volunteering in schools

Casper

They are primarily volunteering to sacrifice their lives to protect the children.

That is why they are there. Should it ever come to that.

For lack of anyone else willing or able to do that.

Because they have the will and strength of Honor to want to.

edit: And is it really any wonder that the children can sense the personality of these men?

Edited by ReconRat

They are primarily volunteering to sacrifice their lives to protect the children.

What? I did not read any of that.

edit: And is it really any wonder that the children can sense the personality of these men?

They are hanging with their kids, providing guidance and support. You know, regular father stuff that they should be doing. They are not guards or anything like that, you are over interpreting what they are doing.

I havent read all the replies in this thread but it reminded me of what my sons freind ask me the week after the school shooting. I was cleaning my guns one day my sons freind spent the night and he was facinated by them and knew i had them. About a week after the shooting he was at the house and told me i should be a secuity guard at their school because no bad guy could ever get past me abd all my guns..LOL. Kids, got to love them.

I agree.

Lawn cutting business? :dunno: If Isaac mowed grass all summer and wanted to buy an iPhone with his earnings.. that's his choice.

My oldest did this last summer. He cut two yards all summer to buy a ipod4. I did the background check at my kids school and help when i can. I have six people on one income, the kids come first. Do I expect a pat on the back? No its called being a responsible parent, maybe more people should try it.

• Upvote 1

My oldest did this last summer. He cut two yards all summer to buy a ipod4. I did the background check at my kids school and help when i can. I have six people on one income, the kids come first. Do I expect a pat on the back? No its called being a responsible parent, maybe more people should try it.

Good job man, My daughter had to stain the front and back deck, get all a's and have enough money for the iPhone itself and pay the cost of the additional monthly fees for a data plan for a year. Did the background check to chaperone for a field trip, visit for lunch, et cetera. My parenting life sucks since they're 545 miles away during school time. Those who can be there should not take it for granted.

Give us some examples of what they would do that would earn the IPhone. I am not talking an Xmas present...thats a present. What would they do above and beyond that would earn them an Iphone?

I don't know, I don't have any kids. That's not the point. You're not the grand arbiter of what is "sufficient" to warrant such a present, that's up to the individual parents to decide. It's douches like you that see something shiny and expensive in the hands of a 13-year-old and immediately pipe up with "well that kid couldn't have deserved that!"

They are hanging with their kids, providing guidance and support. You know, regular father stuff that they should be doing. They are not guards or anything like that, you are over interpreting what they are doing.

You're not seeing it through the eyes of the children.

With all thats happened since I was a kid in school, I agree that this is a positive maneuver to help keep kids safe AND allowing fathers to play an active role outside of the children's homelife. Win win, period.

I know when I was in school and parents were invited in to discuss their careers in front of our classmates, we all hated it.....was like our privacy was being invaded or something.....just kills your in-school coolness reputation we all tried to keep :D But since becoming a parent, I understand how my folks felt and realize how petty it was to try to be the rebel I truly wasnt

So being able to afford nice things for your kids is now frowned upon? Also, since when did giving nice things to your kids and spending time with them become mutually exclusive? If I have a kid and I feel that he/she has earned a iPhone for doing something that went above and beyond, and it's within my budgetary resources to buy said iPhone, then my kid's getting an iPhone.

Blah blah blah.....either you just don't get it or you're just trying to piss on common sense. Either way you're not worth the effort to refute such idiocracy.

Blah blah blah.....either you just don't get it or you're just trying to piss on common sense. Either way you're not worth the effort to refute such idiocracy.

Or your're jealous that a 13-year-old has a better phone than you, so he automatically couldn't have earned that.

I got news for you bub, not everyone shares the same "bootstrappy" values system as you do.

Or your're jealous that a 13-year-old has a better phone than you, so he automatically couldn't have earned that.

I got news for you bub, not everyone shares the same "bootstrappy" values system as you do.

Idiocracy at its finest......lmao

I don't know, I don't have any kids. That's not the point. You're not the grand arbiter of what is "sufficient" to warrant such a present, that's up to the individual parents to decide. It's douches like you that see something shiny and expensive in the hands of a 13-year-old and immediately pipe up with "well that kid couldn't have deserved that!"

I'm not deciding anything asshat. I asked you what you have decided.

• Upvote 1

The cynicism in this thread is astounding...

These are good dads offering up their time to make the kids feel more safe. I guarantee these same dads are also great back at home, and yet they've gone above and beyond. Even if they're unemployed, they could have just chosen to sit at home and watch the game. Instead they're at their kids' school helping out.

The kids enjoy it, it's had a great impact according to that write-up, and that's all that really matters. (Or should matter.)

So it takes a major national tragedy for "fathers" to start taking part in thier kids lives outside the home? I think thats what a lot of us are getting at.

Yep, that is what we are getting at; sometimes it takes a tragedy to put things in perspective.

As soon as we stop learning from these things we officially begin to devolve.