Let's talk ARs and crossbows.

mango_sv

I've seen a kit for those rigs somewhere... oh yeah, it's the PSE TAC 15 Crossbow upper.

$1150 approx for the upper. Gander had them for 1099 but sold out.

http://pse-archery.com/

http://pse-archery.com/c/crossbows_tac-ordnance-crossbow?pkey=f859ee512e804f970349bfd90e3d56b0&ckey=87663.1040377.0.0.0

Doesn't' look like they are currently manufactured, but they can be found in stock.

2013 PSE TAC ORDNANCE™ SPECIFICATIONS

• SPEED 405-395 fps (425gr arrow)
  • KINETIC ENERGY 155 ft-lbs (425 grain arrow)
  • PEAK WEIGHT 150 lbs.
  • OVERALL WIDTH 22” (measured from cam-to-cam)
  • AXLE-TO-AXLE 17” at brace
  • POWERSTROKE 17 ¼”
  • FINISH Hard anodized aluminum for maximum durability
  • MASS WEIGHT 7.2 lbs. (without lower and accessories)
  • OVERALL LENGTH 34 ¾” (unmounted)

So with this you would just need to buy an upper to have an AR? Am I correct in my thinking? So by that, you would have to do a backround check to buy this cuz the AR lower is considered the "firearm" part of the gun. I don't currently have an AR, but this might be an interesting route to take.

You can get them complete as a crossbow or as a upper for your existing AR. Works the same as a any AR platform.

Made by PSE. There is not human I know that can cock this thing. You definately would have to use the crank that comes with it.

100 yards, easily... Not in this lifetime. The bolt is heavier than a 50 BMG round. The amount of drop at 100 yards there is no easy about it.

I have shot both versions and yes kiddies they make this for a military version as well and yes they are currently deployed and in use.

Mango, I'm sure the complete version uses a lower that isn't compatible with a rifle upper. If it was and you pinned an upper to it you would immediately be a felon for manufacturing a firearm without permit.

So if I buy a complete AR lower, then later an upper and put the 2 together, I'm a felon? I thought people did this all the time?

Sent from this thing between my hands.

You can get them complete as a crossbow or as a upper for your existing AR. Works the same as a any AR platform.

Made by PSE. There is not human I know that can cock this thing. You definately would have to use the crank that comes with it.

100 yards, easily... Not in this lifetime. The bolt is heavier than a 50 BMG round. The amount of drop at 100 yards there is no easy about it.

I have shot both versions and yes kiddies they make this for a military version as well and yes they are currently deployed and in use.

Thats why I asked. If it works the same as any other AR platform, wouldn't the lower need to be registered as a firearm? And why is 100 yds out of question? I've killed deer at 60 with my current old ass Browning crossbow. Dropped them where they stand will 100 grain mechanical broadheads (then add on whatever the bolt weighs). Guess I figured with the huge advances in bows since then I thought a 100 yds wouldn't be too hard.

Well genius, when you buy a new AR lower it carries a serial number filed with the manufacturing company as an AR lower, you fill out a 4437 and pass a background check. When you buy a crossbow you walk out of the store with it.

No company would manufacture a crossbow made of a functioning AR lower, the atf would skull-fuck the janitor, the CEO and everyone inbetween and the liability of the civil suits stemming from felons buying a crossbow and pinning it to an upper (which is not a weapon and can technically be purchased by a felon) and shooting people would bankrupt the company.

I know its late but shit dude....use your head.

Well genius, when you buy a new AR lower it carries a serial number filed with the manufacturing company as an AR lower, you fill out a 4437 and pass a background check. When you buy a crossbow you walk out of the store with it.

No company would manufacture a crossbow made of a functioning AR lower, the atf would skull-fuck the janitor, the CEO and everyone inbetween and the liability of the civil suits stemming from felons buying a crossbow and pinning it to an upper (which is not a weapon and can technically be purchased by a felon) and shooting people would bankrupt the company.

I know its late but shit dude....use your head.

Thats why I asked. What would be the point of buying complete if the AR lower would be useless as an AR lower? Plus you can buy stripped lowers to assemble. I don't see how its stupid to ask a legit question.

Thats why I asked. What would be the point of buying complete if the AR lower would be useless as an AR lower? Plus you can buy stripped lowers to assemble. I don't see how its stupid to ask a legit question.

The point of buying one complete would be if you wanted one and didn't already own an AR......

What does assembling a stripped lower have to do with this?

AR lower receiver is the serialized portion of the weapon. It does not matter if it has parts in it or not. You can buy every other part in an AR without paperwork (Ex. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/819768/dpms-oracle-ar-15-unassembled-carbine-kit-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel-with-oracle-upper-assembly-collapsible-stock-assembly-lower-receiver-parts-kit-pre-ban)

The point of the x-bow lower would be to provide fire control to someone that doesn't have an AR. It looks like the x-bow lower is not the same as a AR lower. There is likely some important differences.

Looking at their website it appears there is a crossbow upper and a complete bow. I don't believe the complete bow is the same model.

In other words it is not just an AR lower with the cross bow upper. It is a complete separate model.

As mentioned if they did sell as a complete crossbow with AR lower they would have to go through the paperwork to sell an AR lower, which would discourage sales.

And looking at it that way, why buy the upper by itself? An AR lower would be put to better use as a firearm???

Craig

Now that i have seen the full site. I see what you mean. There is no way the full bow could ever be an AR lower. Guess it just seems stupid to me to advertise it as swappable with an AR upper but not sell it with a serialized lower. I would have saved the money on development and building a dedicated lower and outsourced a serialized lower. Thats the whole selling point to me.

Making serialized lowers involves much more paperwork and limits your customers.

The upper can easily stay the same. All they would have to do is machine something in place of the mag well that can't be changed. Would make it totally useless to ARs.

True. And thats what they have done. But the price difference is $200. I know AR lowers have jumped lately in price, but I much rather have the versatility of the lower.

True. And thats what they have done. But the price difference is $200. I know AR lowers have jumped lately in price, but I much rather have the versatility of the lower.

6 months and about $300 was the best quote I've found on a RRA stripped lower since Newtown....they had two in stock but wanted $700! Also the price was subject to change between date of order and date of delivery. I just decided one evil black rifle was enough for right now.

6 months and about $300 was the best quote I've found on a RRA stripped lower since Newtown....they had two in stock but wanted $700! Also the price was subject to change between date of order and date of delivery. I just decided one evil black rifle was enough for right now.

About the same as I have found. That's why I haven't built one. My Tactical Mini handles the semi auto rifle role for now.