The death of roadracing on US TV

motociclista

not to pick at you brian,

but why does ducati who is a oem who sells mostly all sport /adventure bikes and has made record profits and record sales in the u.s. in the past few years, not step up as all the other oem s have in the past, and foot the bill to get ama pro racing on tv.

heck it would be nice if they would even support pro racing in any form in the u.s. .

their amatuer contingincy is applaudable but in reality they know they are not going to pay much out since there are not too many on the grids to begin with.

if they had some presence in the ama paddock or on tv they might be able to re-juvinate the old win on sun , sell on monday.

but they seem to be content in taking profits but not giving back to the u.s. racing community.

the other oem 's have more than given their fare share over the years.

frankly bmw is no better or maybe worse , they too are reaping huge sales in the u.s. and not spending much to do it.

what insight can you give as a dealer rep on these questions.

i guess my thinking is if they do not want to step up and be part of the solution , then they are just another one of the problems.

It's about the return. They just do not think the return on investment is worth the amount. I know Honda came back in a satellite way and Yamaha is the major OEM in the series, but Suzuki cut back, Kawasaki has been absent and no other Euro brand other than KTM. The KTM deal is solely based on the VP of Sales at KTM.

Ducati wants a competitive team and they actually were working with a VERY notable team and it just didn't come together. Maybe next year...

The issue is that the exposure is not that great. Now, that being said and the corporate stuff out of the way, I think we should. No matter good or bad in terms of the series, it IS the best and top level racing in the country. So, we should be there to some capacity.

But, even though we have had successes and are making a lot of ground, we still have a very small budget. Racing can get us into a lot more trouble if we don't be careful...

But, I think maybe next year we will see the push for an AMA team. But, health of the brand, success in the markets worldwide are our focus. While the US market is the top market and best market at this point, we are in other markets in the world where they are struggling like every brand. If we spend money on racing outside WSBK and MotoGP, we need to make sure it is absolutely a proper investment and I think AMA Pro Racing at the SB level is risky...

obviously a race team would have a poor ROI but why not support the series by being a broadcast partner, which at the same time would not amount to much more in costs than a media /commercial assault would cost .

franlky it would not cost anymore than the money they are spending at the cheesecake stuff they do at the indy round and i am sure they will do at cota.

those are two races in a series they already have a huge presence in

and a european based series.

not where they are making their profits.

so apparently the u.s. buyers are paying the bills for european racing series and yet those same customers do not have any support from said oem to help in the survival of racing in their own back yards.

maybe the u.s. customers need to wake up and smell whats cookin

obviously a race team would have a poor ROI but why not support the series by being a broadcast partner, which at the same time would not amount to much more in costs than a media /commercial assault would cost .

franlky it would not cost anymore than the money they are spending at the cheesecake stuff they do at the indy round and i am sure they will do at cota.

those are two races in a series they already have a huge presence in

and a european based series.

not where they are making their profits.

so apparently the u.s. buyers are paying the bills for european racing series and yet those same customers do not have any support from said oem to help in the survival of racing in their own back yards.

maybe the u.s. customers need to wake up and smell whats cookin

Actually, the ROI on being at Indy, Laguna and COTA PLUS the WSBK round (4 events) are great. We treat the Ducati customer and fan base rather well, we provide sales, tech briefs, modeling shows and an overall great time.

Being a broadcast partner? Not sure how that will assist on anything. It would get word out, but one thing that Ducati does that others do not - we do all the marketing for the dealers in the US and world. Meaning, no co-op is earned because we do it all. So, all the banner ads, magazine ads, even TV spots on occasion are done by corporate.

Also, we are one of the few brands that do events like Americade, Daytona, etc where we offer demo rides. We also incorporate a large amount of marketing budget to larger demo pools for dealers across the US. Ducati also does release parties where we work with dealers and unveil the new bikes to customers... All a larger ROI than being a sponsor at the AMA road race events... Not that it isn't a great idea, but it isn't something that would net as strong a return as some of those other listed things being done.

We need a team in there and maybe it will be something we do next season. But again... There isn't a whole lot of others playing ball in AMA either. Loads have dropped out and those that have come back in are spending less than before and doing only support vs full factory efforts. It's a different market than before.

WSBK and MotoGP reach a larger demographic than what the AMA does and they feel that is an important stage to be a part of. In the US, we do a lot of support to assist the dealers. We have one of the strongest margins of any brand out there right now and we are proactive to where just last week, we unveiled some really strong sales promotions that will assist dealers in retail sales. These are things that are better money spent than racing in the US right now. The US market is essentially supporting the struggling other country markets and we need to make sure the dealers are strong and healthy before we go racing...

I can tell you the formula to kill off motorcycle roadracing in the US. Take AMA Pro Racing and let them make a GREAT decision to start the first event in March and then wait until LATE May for round two...

Nobody gives a shit about Daytona anymore. They should make the "200" a non-championship standalone (like U.S. Open/Monster Energy Cup in moto). Then they can start the real racing fresh two months later.

Nobody gives a shit about Daytona anymore. They should make the "200" a non-championship standalone (like U.S. Open/Monster Energy Cup in moto). Then they can start the real racing fresh two months later.

Now that is a cool idea!!! But, alas... AMA Pro Racing has at it's disposal a game plan or rather, a formula that works in AMA SX/MX and they don't try and work any of that into the program...

I really like the idea, man...

not to pick at you brian,

but why does ducati who is a oem who sells mostly all sport /adventure bikes and has made record profits and record sales in the u.s. in the past few years, not step up as all the other oem s have in the past, and foot the bill to get ama pro racing on tv.

heck it would be nice if they would even support pro racing in any form in the u.s. .

their amatuer contingincy is applaudable but in reality they know they are not going to pay much out since there are not too many on the grids to begin with.

if they had some presence in the ama paddock or on tv they might be able to re-juvinate the old win on sun , sell on monday.

but they seem to be content in taking profits but not giving back to the u.s. racing community.

the other oem 's have more than given their fare share over the years.

frankly bmw is no better or maybe worse , they too are reaping huge sales in the u.s. and not spending much to do it.

what insight can you give as a dealer rep on these questions.

i guess my thinking is if they do not want to step up and be part of the solution , then they are just another one of the problems.

IMO the win on Sunday sell on Monday business model is stale...no dead. The internet and the ability to reseach comparisons or current models is vastly superior to buying the model that won on Sunday. Why, for many buyers the first thing we are going to do is dump the can and intake to make the air flow and map the fuel. So we research performance after the mod.

Second, unlike when this business model started a long time ago the racing bikes are no longer slightly modified stock bikes. They have completely reworked engines, shocks, brakes, etc. What remains stock? the frame? Informer buyers recognize this fact and know they are not buying the bike that was raced.

IMO if Ducati wants to increase sales they should incentivise new dealerships to grow their distribution network. Do they even have a dealership in Cincinnati? Not that I know of, the closest that I know of is in Indy. The distance is a consideration for me when considering a new bike. Ducati has brand recognition and a strong base of loyal customers so build on that!

But to agree with you yes I wish they would contribute to growing the road racing comunity and viewership.

I may be wrong but isn't the Monster Energy Cup a points race this year?

IMO the win on Sunday sell on Monday business model is stale...no dead. The internet and the ability to reseach comparisons or current models is vastly superior to buying the model that won on Sunday. Why, for many buyers the first thing we are going to do is dump the can and intake to make the air flow and map the fuel. So we research performance after the mod.

Second, unlike when this business model started a long time ago the racing bikes are no longer slightly modified stock bikes. They have completely reworked engines, shocks, brakes, etc. What remains stock? the frame? Informer buyers recognize this fact and know they are not buying the bike that was raced.

IMO if Ducati wants to increase sales they should incentivise new dealerships to grow their distribution network. Do they even have a dealership in Cincinnati? Not that I know of, the closest that I know of is in Indy. The distance is a consideration for me when considering a new bike. Ducati has brand recognition and a strong base of loyal customers so build on that!

But to agree with you yes I wish they would contribute to growing the road racing comunity and viewership.

you would be suprised how stock the bikes are in supersport and dsb.

frankly superbike is very watered down compared to the exotics of the 1990's. and the showroom bikes are very good these days to the point that an ama pro with some skills can take a showroom bike, add some tires and

and could just about make the qualifiing cut in ss, dsb

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nextmotochampion.com/nmc-news/paddock-rumor-ama-pro-racing-has-a-tv-deal-for-2013-and-beyond-2

As we understand it so far, fans can expect to see two and a half hours per race which will include a half hour pre race show, a full hour of Daytona Sportbike and another full hour of SuperBike. The DSB and SuperBike races are expected to be Live. We also understand this to be a 3 year deal instead of the 2 year deal that was discussed a couple months ago. Fans will be able to watch AMA Pro Racing on the CBS Sports Network.

untill cbs / ama does a release stating so, it is the same rumors we have heard for months.

don't get me wrong its a great package, but not real till it comes from the horses mouths.

there has not been live ama roadracing coverage , except for daytona since the 90's.so what a huge step in the right direction.

i know live tv would help our program dramatically.

it is something we can actually sell.

untill cbs / ama does a release stating so, it is the same rumors we have heard for months.

Don't get me wrong its a great package, but not real till it comes from the horses mouths.

There has not been live ama roadracing coverage , except for daytona since the 90's.so what a huge step in the right direction.

I know live tv would help our program dramatically.

It is something we can actually sell.

nice , great news

• 1 month later...