Meteor Shower in Russia

nautical1

BDHoYXiCUAIcUEk.jpg-large.jpeg

"YEKATERINBURG/CHELYABINSK, Russia (Reuters) - About 400 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky in central Russia on Friday sending fireballs crashing to Earth, smashing windows and setting off car alarms.

Residents on their way to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 km (950 miles) east of Moscow.

The meteorite raced across the horizon, leaving a long white trail in its wake which could be seen as far as 200 km (125 miles) away in Yekaterinburg. Car alarms went off, windows shattered and mobile phones worked only intermittently."

And the Russians always seem to have dash cams rolling so there are several videos of it as well. For some reason the video won't embed so there's the link.

There are a lot more videos here.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html

There is also an asteroid that's supposed to come within about 17,000 miles of Earth.

Edited by nautical1

RT.com reported a salvo of missle's took it out. Big ass hole in a lake. Didn't a predator movie start like this?

ha, they would like to think so. But if it was moving at what they say; 33,000mph (mach 44), nothing made by humans would hit that. A battle laser probably wouldn't even track fast enough.

RT.com reported a salvo of missle's took it out. Big ass hole in a lake. Didn't a predator movie start like this?

impossible. well maybe not impossible but u need a rabbits foot, a four leaf cover and an assload of luck. Our fastest missile moves about 3 miles per second. That meteor has been roperted at going over 19 miles a second. Thats moving

I take it back. If you were at ground zero and threw an elbow at it as it struck you, then yes, something made by man could hit it. But you'd have to be very very quick...

I think that may be more classified as it hitting you lol

Pretty incredible. That's a once in a century sight that few will ever have a chance to see!

Astronomer from Baldwin Wallace University says this happens a lot more than once a century. In his words, "70% of the planet is water, so we usually just don't notice."

He estimated that meteors strike land every 40 years or so.

impossible. well maybe not impossible but u need a rabbits foot, a four leaf cover and an assload of luck. Our fastest missile moves about 3 miles per second. That meteor has been roperted at going over 19 miles a second. Thats moving

Where'd you read/hear that?

Again, according to the astronomer on the radio this morning, I heard 17,000mph, or 8 kilometers per second, which is more like 5 miles per second, not 19 miles a second.

Still faster than a missile, but not by as much as you're saying. And I'm not saying I'm right - just that that's what the head of Baldwin Wallace's astronomy department said on the radio this morning.

I take it back. If you were at ground zero and threw an elbow at it as it struck you, then yes, something made by man could hit it. But you'd have to be very very quick...

Only one man comes to mind, but hasn't been seen nor heard from in weeks....

Where did you find that on rt.com? I didn't read anything like that.

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

It was at 2am I read it.

Bastards... I checked it, my page was still open the phone. I read it again about the missle's, refreshed and it was gone. They edited. Should a screen shorted it. Swear to god it was there. 100%

It's possible to hit it'd Id think but not chasing it, intersepting it.

Edited by Gump

Where'd you read/hear that?

Again, according to the astronomer on the radio this morning, I heard 17,000mph, or 8 kilometers per second, which is more like 5 miles per second, not 19 miles a second.

Still faster than a missile, but not by as much as you're saying. And I'm not saying I'm right - just that that's what the head of Baldwin Wallace's astronomy department said on the radio this morning.

I heard it on the radio but fox new and daily mail are reporting 33,000 miles an hour

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279020/Russian-meteor-shower-Sonic-boom-caused-meteorite-hurtling-Chebarkul-injures-1-000-people.html

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/15/injuries-reported-after-meteorite-falls-in-russia-ural-mountains/

17,000 or 33,000 either way just an impressive feat. The amount of damage something relatively small can do at that speed.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2988756/posts

Mentions what I read on RT a 2am about the missle's.

Read way down to the reagonite dude and what he states about the missle's.

Why is that hole in the lake round? Wrong angle.

Edited by Gump

Why Almost Everyone in Russia Has a Dash Cam

"Russia averages 25.2 traffic fatalities per 100,000 people. The U.S., by comparison, had 13.9 road deaths per 100,000 people in the same year, despite having six times more cars."

That would be 12 times more crap than we have here.

join the club. Now you too can have a fireball in your sky!

Fireball reported across California sky

2/15/2013 7:44PM

(yes, we've got dashcams too)

http://youtu.be/HLpTOc1i8_8

edit: "Sporadic meteors bring as much as 15,000 tons of space debris to Earth each year"

Edited by ReconRat