vfr troubles?

Steve Butters

Riding in to work in the slush today and my FI light came on and my speedo stopped working and went to 0...shut off bike and restarted it and the fi light didn't stay on, but the speedo still didn't work... Hit a bump and it came back on then off and then back on and stayed on.... I also think my vtec stopped working... I couldn't really rag on it in this weather to test it, but slow acceleration you can usually feel it engage and i couldn't... It doesn't feel like it's lacking power or idling weird.. So I'm leaning towards electrical problem rather than fuel?

Any ideas?

Google search shows that vtec won't work until bike is at operating temp... I didn't check my engine temp, but I was riding it easy and only rode 6 miles... So disregard that for now... But please advise on the speedo thing... Is it nothing to worry about? Maybe just got too much water in it somewhere?

and of course VFR Discussion is down or I'd link you to the sticky of the VAST electrical issues of the VFR

Could be one of the connectors burning out on you which is a cheap and easy fix: http://www.wiremybike.com/vfr-specific-parts-2002-2009-vfr-parts-6th-gen-blue-connector-quick-fix-p-268.html

Did the entire dash go dark and stop working or just the speedo? When my stator and r/r took a dump it the whole dash went dim then a few miles later the whole bike just shut off

This though could be a sign of the RR Harness failing which could be rectified with this: http://www.wiremybike.com/vfr-specific-parts-2002-2009-vfr-parts-2002-2009-vfrness-p-266.html

I know they're known for bad electronics, but im not diving in and replacing all that crap before accurately diagnosing the problem. I have no other issues besides the speedo so far... Starts good, no dimming lights, everything works properly... Supposedly the electrical system has already been overhauled by the previous owner... I can't confirm that but I asked and he said all the fixes have been done...

I'm really thinking it's a problem that has something to do with the speedometer and how it reads or connects or something, rather than a problem with the electrical system

Is there some kind of sprocket or sensor or something that reads speed? Like a vss in a car?

there is also this:

On my '03VFR the Speedometer pick-up sensor is located on the countershaft sprocket cover. Left side of the bike. I believe they were mounted in the same place on the '97s. The cover is located just forward of your left footpeg,the clutch slave cylinder bolts to the cover,the speedo sensor is the black plastic thing bolted right in the middle of the cover,can't miss it. The Speedo sensor has a little plastic coupler that is driven off the hex head of the bolt that holds your countershaft sprocket on. If the countershaft sprocket bolt has backed off,it could've damaged that coupler. Or the plastic coupler has simply stripped out from working against that steel bolt head. Unbolt the Speedo sensor(it's just two little bolts)and remove it,see if the hex shape of the coupler is rounded out,or if the hex shape of the sprocket bolt is rounded. Either of these could give you erratic readings. If the bolts that hold the countershaft sprocket cover are loose,or the bolts that secure the Speedo sensor are loose,these too could cause an erratic Speedometer reading. Remember to check the connector plug where the Speedo sensor plugs into the wire harness,plug and unplug it a few times for good measure,you might have a little corrosion there. Or you could simply have a faulty Speedo sensor.

from here: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-interceptor-vfr/70629-speedometer-not-working-right.html