Auto Detailers assemble!

Bad324

My girlfriend picked up a new car this week and naturally decided she wanted a black metallic car. I love black cars but I'm very picky about how they look so I'll be the one detailing it. The problem is I haven't had a car worth caring about in over 3 years so I'm out of touch with detailing products and what not.

I'm looking for advice of what to buy for the entire process. I'm talking wash mitts/sponges, soaps, waxes, wax applicators, drying towels, interior cleaning products. etc

My girlfriend picked up a new car this week and naturally decided she wanted a black metallic car. I love black cars but I'm very picky about how they look so I'll be the one detailing it. The problem is I haven't had a car worth caring about in over 3 years so I'm out of touch with detailing products and what not.

I'm looking for advice of what to buy for the entire process. I'm talking wash mitts/sponges, soaps, waxes, wax applicators, drying towels, interior cleaning products. etc

so what kind of car is it?

so what kind of car is it?

a 2013 Buick Verano. It kind of came out of left field as she was down to an Acura ILX or a 3 series but her Dad talked her into this. I'm actually quite surprised how much I like it for being a Buick, they are desperately trying to change their "old person mobile" image. On a school teacher budget, what she wanted and what she could afford within those wants was very slim pickings

I've switched to Meguiars From Turtle Wax just due to cost, same performance in my book. I also have a Black car that I just cleaned yesterday only to have frost on it this morning so going to have to wipe it down once I get home.

I've switched to Meguiars From Turtle Wax just due to cost, same performance in my book. I also have a Black car that I just cleaned yesterday only to have frost on it this morning so going to have to wipe it down once I get home.

Yeah, I dropped Mothers all together, their products just never lived up to their hype. I.E. I had their Back to Black I had been using on black plastics on my truck, NEVER made it even close to looking black, just shiney. I just made a changed to their Meguiars black plastic product since I just got a new commuter car, and first try, BOOM black as shit. ;)

Also I use their Ultimate wax and dad uses NXT 2.0, both seem to last the same and the ease of use is similar. However, I've never had bad luck with any "synthetic" wax I've used. I still have some Eagle one Tech Wax or whatever it was years ago, and it rocks.

I used to use 3M but it was not synthetic and was a bitch to remove, the synthetic waxes are so easy its awesome.

I do use ArmorAll tire foams, but be careful they make cement really slick, but that's only after I clean the shit out of my wheels and tires.

I actually am detailing my Volvo right now I just picked up for my commuter car, and now just need to remove the wax.

Sorry TheBrown57, the Accord finally went back to a dealer on trade and is probably going to end up as scrap. It was a great car but with a baby on the way I didn't want to drive it anymore, and the dealer took good care of me on trade/new car price.

Now back to the new ride.

Since its te same topic as this thread, anyone have any good vacuum attachment suggestions or hand held ones for getting those hard to reach places in between the seats?!

Shit, Ryobi makes basically a car shopvac now, it's orange, smaller, and has an awesome attachment set and hose. It all goes together as 1 pc and is sick, my wife got it for me for Christmas and I LOVE IT. Also seems to really suck hard, hint hint.

Yeah, I dropped Mothers all together, their products just never lived up to their hype. I.E. I had their Back to Black I had been using on black plastics on my truck, NEVER made it even close to looking black, just shiney. I just made a changed to their Meguiars black plastic product since I just got a new commuter car, and first try, BOOM black as shit. ;)

Also I use their Ultimate wax and dad uses NXT 2.0, both seem to last the same and the ease of use is similar. However, I've never had bad luck with any "synthetic" wax I've used. I still have some Eagle one Tech Wax or whatever it was years ago, and it rocks.

I used to use 3M but it was not synthetic and was a bitch to remove, the synthetic waxes are so easy its awesome.

I do use ArmorAll tire foams, but be careful they make cement really slick, but that's only after I clean the shit out of my wheels and tires.

I actually am detailing my Volvo right now I just picked up for my commuter car, and now just need to remove the wax.

Sorry TheBrown57, the Accord finally went back to a dealer on trade and is probably going to end up as scrap. It was a great car but with a baby on the way I didn't want to drive it anymore, and the dealer took good care of me on trade/new car price.

Now back to the new ride.

Shit I'm happy it treated you good an helped with getting a better car :D hopefully the next owner will treat her good.

Never use a sponge! Sponges can actually retain small rocks, sand, etc that will scratch the surface. Think of black cars that turn in front of you on a sunny day and you see that "spiderweb" look. Those people are sponge washers. Second, never wash in a circular motion. Wipe the surface along the body lines of the vehicle. Same with waxing. Never in circles, especially on a dark vehicle. As mentioned above, get yourself a kit from Griots Garage. Good products and sound care advice.

Never use a sponge! Sponges can actually retain small rocks, sand, etc that will scratch the surface. Think of black cars that turn in front of you on a sunny day and you see that "spiderweb" look. Those people are sponge washers. Second, never wash in a circular motion. Wipe the surface along the body lines of the vehicle. Same with waxing. Never in circles, especially on a dark vehicle. As mentioned above, get yourself a kit from Griots Garage. Good products and sound care advice.

I can't say I agree with the above, but see where you are coming from. Wax and polish I do in a circular motion but never get swirl marks because if done correctly you shouldn't. I also use my orbital on occasion and that goes in circles and never get marks from it. But I can see when inexperienced people use circles it will happen.

Also the sponge thing, glad you pointed that out, this is what you need here; http://www.autogeek.net/gg1010.html

I do not use a sponge at all, I use a microfiber stringy thing and it's awesome, cleans way better than sponges and doesn't hold dirt. There is also a 2 bucket method I did for a little but too much work, 1 bucket to rinse with water only and the other with soap only. I didn't like that so I got the grit guard and it's awesome.

Another trick is leaf blower and or compressed air to clear water from cracks/crevices. I don't normally need this, but sometimes I get a car that's a bitch to dry.

After using a lot of different products through the years I have narrowed it down to 2. Both are very good at their intended purpose, affordable, easy to apply and remove as well as last.

Optimum Poly-Seal AIO: http://www.autogeek.net/poli-seal.html

Collinite #845: http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html

Both applied with a Porter Cable 7424 with the correct foam pad: http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

Didn't even mention the orbital because most people don't have them around or know how to properly use them if they did. But yes orbitals do go in a circle but are to be used like wet sanding so to speak and operate at a higher speed than your arm is. But yes, if you're doing everything by hand NEVER in circles. Also, the clay bar is your friend. Used those while I was detailing for Acura :)

Didn't even mention the orbital because most people don't have them around or know how to properly use them if they did. But yes orbitals do go in a circle but are to be used like wet sanding so to speak and operate at a higher speed than your arm is. But yes, if you're doing everything by hand NEVER in circles. Also, the clay bar is your friend. Used those while I was detailing for Acura :)

+1 on the clay bar.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to end up getting one of the big kits from Griots since my stock of any detailing supplies is pretty much null. I know how to detail and the big do's and don'ts its just been so many years since I've had nice cars to detail that didn't know if there was any new products to get

I've never used Griots before and have always used Zaino and Zymol but looking to try something new for the hell of it!

I've always wanted an orbital polisher but never ended up getting one. Is there a big difference between a regular Black and Decker orbital for $30 as opposed to the Griots or Porter Cable for $130?

My birthday is coming up so I'd be tempted to put that on my list. I think I would practice on my truck first to get used to it before attempting to do the new car

Is there a big difference between a regular Black and Decker orbital for $30 as opposed to the Griots or Porter Cable for $130?

Absolutely! The P/C or Griots are much more capable, easier to handle and do a far superior job.