Man sucked into sink hole from inside house. Search called off?

Gump

If it was one of my family, I'll be damned if the search effort was called off. I got enough shit at my house to light it up like a football field and explore that 60 foot hole. This makes no damn sense. Guess it's a hole full of dirt and crap. That makes it a little tougher.

A Florida man is presumed dead after he was swallowed by a sinkhole that opened suddenly underneath him while he was lying in bed in his suburban Tampa home.

Five others escaped the home, according to CNN (http://bit.ly/YGdZsG), including a two-year-old child.

Engineers lowered monitoring equipment into the hole to seek signs of life, but found none. Rescuers are unable to enter the hole because of concerns that it is still growing and the structural stability of the house. Nearby homes were also evacuated.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/us/florida-sinkhole/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Edited by Gump

The answer to your question was answered in the article and to me, it makes perfectly good sense not to risk further life to recover a body. Safety trounces how you feel about it.

"They still have not been able to find the boundaries of the underground chasm. For that reason, we're being very deliberate, he said. "We're very frustrated. But we're pursuing it as quickly as we can, as safely as we can."

Sure. They very first articles made it sound as if they never explored the hole and were saying it was 60 feet deep. Then it changed to 30 feet deep and the brother had to be pulled out of the hole. Which is confusing, how, if you're in a bed, and you fall in, dirt would be the main thing to fall on top of you I guess.

I really dont think this is that bad of a situation... take this into consideration.

1) No funeral costs

2) How many people will get to go out in a unique incident like this?

3) Family will always will have a conversation starter "you know how my so and so died? buried alive".

4) If someone get swallowed up by the earth in their sleep they were probably going to be the next Hitler.

5) One less "Florida man"*

* see https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

Edited by sturg

My Florida friends made fun of me for moving back to Ohio. Well, my home state has never eaten a person alive who was doing nothing more than lying in bed.

That said, I do have remorse in my heart for that poor family, especially the brother who tried to save the victim. How unfathomable to be lost in a sinkhole under your own home. That is simply further verification that I don't care how you live or what you believe. When it's your time, it's just your time.

• Upvote 1

Or don't live in FL because the whole state is going to be under water sooner or later

How soon until sinkhole insurance is pimped by some unscrupulous agents down there? Probably a similar rider to lightning strike insurance.

How soon until sinkhole insurance is pimped by some unscrupulous agents down there? Probably a similar rider to lightning strike insurance.

Issuance companies HAVE to offer sinkhole insurance in flordia by law.

That must have changed since I lived down there, unless it is buried deep within the homeowners policy text. I owned a house there for six years and never had that added on. Flood insurance...yes. Never had a single conversation about sinkholes. But again, perhaps it was assumed by the policy under act of God.

That must have changed since I lived down there, unless it is buried deep within the homeowners policy text. I owned a house there for six years and never had that added on. Flood insurance...yes. Never had a single conversation about sinkholes. But again, perhaps it was assumed by the policy under act of God.

http://www.myfloridacfo.com/consumers/guides/property/sinkholes.htm

I guess there is a very, very, very, very shady loophole in this law... I don't really see the difference between ground collapse and sinkhole... They are required to give catastrophic ground collapse insurance(included in base policy) and must provide sinkhole insurance(premium rate)

Edited by Exarch