Costly Mistake...

Chrome

So about 7 months ago i quit a good job to start a "career" with another company. Six months into the job they let me go because i got all of their things in order for them and they didn't need me anymore. (if i would have known this i wouldn't have accepted the job!) Anyways i went about 6 weeks without a job. got hooked up with another company as a store manager for them. When i had my first interview they said i would be working about 40-45 hrs a week. I can handle that. A week later it went up to 50 hrs a week, now they want me to work 6 days a week for a total of 72hrs!!!! Telling them i quit today and going back to the first company i quit from and taking a pay cut to do it. I am pissed right now having to do this! Should of been happy where i was at!

Rant Over.

Stop kicking yourself. You thought you were leaving for a better opportunity. Sounds like the first "new" company screwed you over. Its pretty cool that the first place took you back.

Let it be water under the bridge, and keep on keepin' on.

I know this does not help but "the grass is not always greener" good luck to you and hope you can get back to where you were with the original company.
could be worse, could be completely out of a job

These right here. Pay cuts suck man, but your situation could be a lot worse.

My summer and winter hours...my "slow" (still 45-50hrs) is spring and fall. But I'm a hourly employee. OP was you salary?

same here hourly, they was payin me the chedda:D, usually april to oct then we slow down

This frightens me because my wife is making a career change to do HR for a start up company that is only 3 years old, offers no 401k, no holidays. I can't blame her through her management position at the dreaded Walmart has taken a toll on her and the family.

This frightens me because my wife is making a career change to do HR for a start up company that is only 3 years old, offers no 401k, no holidays. I can't blame her through her management position at the dreaded Walmart has taken a toll on her and the family.

here is a good story then: My old roomate left his IT position at Ernst&Young for a start up software company 3 years ago. He has now become the owners right hand man, makes a ridiculous amount of money and drinks amazingly expensive scotch from the office scotch cabinet stocked by said owner

Here's hoping it works out better for you at the original job.

My job used to be better but it's only gotten progressively worse as the company has grown but I've also gone through the "grass is greener on the other side" and it didn't pan out too well. I've been exactly where you are 3 years ago after I left my job after 8 years with the company and came back less than a year later (moved clear across the country, too).

I'm trying to stick it out but it's getting harder and harder the more they take away our autonomy to run things in the field and soon we'll have none. Also losing a supervisor I had tremendous respect for doesn't help matters, either, and I don't much care for Ohio over where I was previously in West By God Virginia before resigning and moving to the PNW.

here is a good story then: My old roomate left his IT position at Ernst&Young for a start up software company 3 years ago. He has now become the owners right hand man, makes a ridiculous amount of money and drinks amazingly expensive scotch from the office scotch cabinet stocked by said owner

Always a chance that could happen. I guess the plus us she is starting a job finally using her degree and she is being fast tracked to management.

no one can say that you didn't try. Hopefully you learned some stuff at the other jobs that you can bring to the table back at the first.

true dat. I sometimes think about going back to my old gig armed with all the info I learned while I was away, and all the ways I can fix problems that I either didn't know I had, or had no idea how to solve. Then I remember how much of a colossal idiot and terrible manager the VP was, and I'm content right where I am again. :)

I have a few of those same friends from college. Lazy-ass pot-heads making risky decisions and landing squarely on top. Bastards. I don't have that entrepreneurial lust. I'm the guy who does what he's told and hopes to last.

To the op.... That sucks, but paying your dues is a part if climbing any organization.

• Upvote 1

I've been considering changing companies, but talk myself out of it for fear of grass not being greener. I make very good money here, that out weighs the minor negatives. Good luck in your old position.

I've been considering changing companies, but talk myself out of it for fear of grass not being greener. I make very good money here, that out weighs the minor negatives. Good luck in your old position.

If someone asks you if "you ever have one of those days" and you answer "everyday" then you need to move on.

If someone asks you if "you ever have one of those days" and you answer "everyday" then you need to move on.

True! Luckily I don't have one of "those" days everday. Just lots of changes going on at work, some growing pains. This is the longest I have worked for the same company.Paydays still make it worthwhile.

So about 7 months ago i quit a good job......going back to the first company i quit from and taking a pay cut to do it.

Sorry to say, you devalued yourself to them. Your offer to return to them should have been under the conditions that they sweeten the agreement under which you would provide them your services.

The reasons for your dissatisfaction with the job still exist but now they know you are desperate in that you returned begging and accepted, for less than your true value.

...got hooked up with another company as a store manager for them. When i had my first interview they said i would be working about 40-45 hrs a week. I can handle that. A week later it went up to 50 hrs a week, now they want me to work 6 days a week for a total of 72hrs!!!!

The conditions under which you accepted the position failed to be upheld by those making the promise. Additional hours requires additional compensation in a proportion greater than 1:1. Make your demands known without compromise and agree to nothing more than 50 hours at 5 days a week.

Trying to better yourself is an admirable trait that a potential employer should appreciate, and shows that you may be likely to go an extra mile for a company in order to advance to a higher level.